Re: Who can we bring in this summer

rncfc wrote:Hmmmm, OK.

Your suggestion appeared to be that we are underachieving. Meanwhile, at Bury, they are losing £50,000 a week.
Newport have had a good season. There has been progress on the field but let's keep it in context. We are one of seven teams with a realistic chance of making the final playoff spot. If we make the playoffs we will be one of four teams with a realistic chance of being promoted.

There has been satisfactory progress. At least on the field. But I believe that there is still a long way to go.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:A major gap to fill will be a right sided defender(s) for next season, even if MF does manage to keep all the current players he wants for next season. CB and wing back I would suggest. Could Pipey still cover for another season? Personally I think he could.
P.S. Obviously recent news of Pipes retirement supersedes my last comment.

Instead of talking about the personnel that could make up the squad for next season I'd prefer to know that Flynn has a specific "vision" of how he wishes to play and that this is implemented throughout the club. All the best teams tend to work to a "master plan" and for many years County seem to lack one.

But if we are to talk about personnel then, like every season we discuss this, the need for a couple of fullbacks, another CB or two, some creativity in midfield and a bit of pace either on the wing or "up top" usually is the order of the day...

wattsville_boy wrote:Instead of talking about the personnel that could make up the squad for next season I'd prefer to know that Flynn has a specific "vision" of how he wishes to play and that this is implemented throughout the club. All the best teams tend to work to a "master plan" and for many years County seem to lack one.

But if we are to talk about personnel then, like every season we discuss this, the need for a couple of fullbacks, another CB or two, some creativity in midfield and a bit of pace either on the wing or "up top" usually is the order of the day...
Perhaps a better question, although more painful one to answer is, who do we need to replace?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:Instead of talking about the personnel that could make up the squad for next season I'd prefer to know that Flynn has a specific "vision" of how he wishes to play and that this is implemented throughout the club. All the best teams tend to work to a "master plan" and for many years County seem to lack one.

Perhaps a better question, although more painful one to answer is, who do we need to replace?
I imagine the silence and lack of contract announcements is because it depends on the outcome of the next 3 (or hopefully 6) matches.

As much as I'd like them to stay, I just can't see Day and Amond being here next season if we're still in League Two.

I think at the moment the club is stuck in this position where if we continue to keep extending the contracts of our best players its leaving us short to make the squad stronger. Only have to look at the accounts to see without a cup run this club is run at a huge loss therefore we are over paying on the squad. I think theres some tough decisions this summer. i.e. can we afford to have the left back as one of the best paid players at the club? could that money improve the team as a whole if spent in more vital positions? (Im a massive butler fan but just thinking logistically). Amond is the goalscorer he has to be the priority to sign back up. Goalscorers are few and far between.

Bush wrote:I think at the moment the club is stuck in this position where if we continue to keep extending the contracts of our best players its leaving us short to make the squad stronger. Only have to look at the accounts to see without a cup run this club is run at a huge loss therefore we are over paying on the squad. I think theres some tough decisions this summer. i.e. can we afford to have the left back as one of the best paid players at the club? could that money improve the team as a whole if spent in more vital positions? (Im a massive butler fan but just thinking logistically). Amond is the goalscorer he has to be the priority to sign back up. Goalscorers are few and far between.
I agree. It is so easy to play the fantasy game of who we would like to sign. So much harder to consider who to clear out.

I really think the crux is to persuade the ones we want to stay to do exactly that, if not then we are a looking at a summer recruitment of a whole squad, and we know only too well, how that goes.

I don’t mean hold the club to ransom, there has to be a bit of sense on both parties - however the cup exploits have put these players in the shop window, and I’d be amazed if there’s not clubs lining up with offers of increased ££ for certain players.

The ones we will not want, will only be on short term contracts so I doubt that wel be left with anything that we don’t want?

rncfc wrote:
I imagine the silence and lack of contract announcements is because it depends on the outcome of the next 3 (or hopefully 6) matches.

As much as I'd like them to stay, I just can't see Day and Amond being here next season if we're still in League Two.
I thought Amond had already triggered a contract extension until the end of next season.

Risca_Exile wrote:
rncfc wrote:

I thought Amond had already triggered a contract extension until the end of next season.

Amond has signed, so if anyone wants to take him they’ll have to pay us for him

The best signing we could have made this Summer could have been quality partner(s) for the hybrid model.
Unfortunately, while the take up of the rewards and benefits scheme has increased, I doubt it has done so to the extent required to attract partner(s) that can effect the quantum shift in our finances needed to catapult the club up the leagues.
Since we can't rely on repeated cup runs to finance the club season on season, I think Flynn will have the usual problems in the transfer market again this year.

Agree totally amberexile .its been the longest process ever this hybrid model. Mike will always be up against it unless the model changes .this fan own thing was only meant to be short term to save the club .we need investment cant rely on cup runs ? Last 2 season a been very lucky in drawing non league teams and lower sides around us to progress on to bigger ties to make money . I just hope our board are looking at partners to bring into the club with the hybrid model .otherwise in 2 years time we CD be back struggle once again .

owlsabout wrote:Agree totally amberexile .its been the longest process ever this hybrid model. Mike will always be up against it unless the model changes .this fan own thing was only meant to be short term to save the club .we need investment cant rely on cup runs ? Last 2 season a been very lucky in drawing non league teams and lower sides around us to progress on to bigger ties to make money . I just hope our board are looking at partners to bring into the club with the hybrid model .otherwise in 2 years time we CD be back struggle once again .
When was it ever stated that the Supporters' Direct model of fan ownership was only temporary?
It was stated that, like Notts County, if it didn't work, we could return to private ownership. It was stated that, after a few years, it may be possible for some to take back their initial donation, perhaps with a small amount of interest.....but when was it ever stated that the model itself was intended to be temporary, cos I missed that bit?

I believe that fans ownership can work but to do so the fans need to be engaged. Unfortunately, in my view, the board of directors in failing to hold AGM's, publishing redacted notes of board meetings months late, if at all, not holding elections to the board etc have succeeded in alienating a significant number of supporters.

As for outside investment I think that the key word is investment. That model works only if there is a profit to be made for the investor. Those who believe that hard-nosed business people put money into football clubs for altruistic reasons need to get a reality check. That is not to say that it is necessarily bad. A well run club can be mutually beneficial.

And before anyone tells you that all clubs lose money, any business that consistently shows a loss in reality as opposed to on paper goes bust. Funny how the overwhelming majority of football clubs don't go bust, eh?

Anyway back to investment. For once in part I have sympathy for the present board. They are but the latest in a long line of staggering incompetents who have failed to grasp that unless we develop a fit for purpose stadium nobody with a brain will invest in Newport County AFC.