Grandstand - Lincoln City Home

Saturday 27th April:

The clubs have met on forty five occasions, all of which have been league matches, and County have achieved the league double twice while Lincoln have achieved none.
Names that come to mind who have previously played for both County and Lincoln are:
1. Central Defender Terry Cooper - late 1960's.
2. Striker Tommy Tynan - late 70's / early 80's. Played a part in the clubs 1979 / 1980 promotion and Welsh Cup double.
3. Full Back Trevor Thompson - along with Tommy Tynan, played a part in the clubs 1979 / 1980 promotion and Welsh Cup double.
4. Midfielder Paul Miller - mid 1980's.
5. Striker Matt Green - 2005-2007, currently plays for Salford City
6. Right Back Tom Miller - 2011/2012. During his one season at the club, County finished just above the relegation places of the Conference Premier and were FA Trophy losing finalists against York City. He currently plays for Bury.

Meetings between the clubs since County returned to the FL in 2013:

2017 / 2018:
Newport County 0-0 Lincoln City.
This mid season draw saw County drop from ninth to eleventh while Lincoln rose to sixth place.
County had Mark O'Brien red carded during the early stages of the second half.
Former County Striker Matt Green featured for the Imps.

Lincoln City 3-1 Newport County.
This game was just three days after the draw with Spurs at Rodney Parade.
Rhead headed the Imps ahead before Amond leveled before the break.
Ex County Striker Matt Green restored the lead for Lincoln before Palmer scored a third in the final quarter.
County dropped to tenth while Lincoln rose to eighth.

2018 / 2019:
Lincoln City 3-2 Newport County.
County trailed 2-0 after only seven minutes. Amond reduced the arrears shortly before the break. Lincoln regained a two goal lead mid way through the second half while Amond scored his second of the game with around fourteen minutes remaining. Lincoln now had a four points lead at the top while County dropped from sixth to eighth.

Current L2 positions:
1. Lincoln - Champions

6. Tranmere 44 +15 72pts
7. Exeter 44 +10 66pts
-------------------------------------------------------
8. Colchester 44 +7 64pts
9. Carlisle 44 +3 64pts
10. Stevenage 44 +1 64pts
11. Newport County 43 -3 64pts
12. Oldham 43 +13 62pts

Remaining fixtures:
Exeter:
Oldham H
Forest Green A

Colchester:
MK Dons H
Lincoln A

Carlisle:
Crawley H
Yeovil A

Stevenage:
Mansfield A
Cheltenham H

Newport County:
Lincoln City H
Oldham Athletic H
Morecambe A

Oldham:
Exeter A
Newport County A
Northampton H

Managers:
Newport County - Mike Flynn.
Lincoln City - Danny Cowley.

Head to head:
Mike Flynn 0
Danny Cowley 2
Draws 1

Re: Grandstand - Lincoln City Home

Reeb, when I read your article, I noticed the name of Terry Cooper. Was this the Cooper who played for both Leeds Utd and England during that era? If so, I well remember his attacking forays into the oppositions half's, and everyone thinking " what's he doing! He's a full back! If it is the same Cooper I believe it was the time when so called full backs came forward to support the attack, to change the old ways and it was brilliant. If not the same Cooper, everyone carry on and ignore this.

papajohn wrote:Reeb, when I read your article, I noticed the name of Terry Cooper. Was this the Cooper who played for both Leeds Utd and England during that era? If so, I well remember his attacking forays into the oppositions half's, and everyone thinking " what's he doing! He's a full back! If it is the same Cooper I believe it was the time when so called full backs came forward to support the attack, to change the old ways and it was brilliant. If not the same Cooper, everyone carry on and ignore this.
Nope. You're thinking of Terry Cooper who was manager of Bristol City back in the 1980's.
The Terry Cooper you refer to is the father of FGR manager Mark Cooper.

pembsexile wrote:It seems the bookies fancy a draw on this one (9/4). We are shorter odds (11/8) than Lincoln (6/4) for the win which does surprise me.
Recent form, the fact they have nothing to play for and we do, I think makes the odds about right. I think it will be tight but I think we can pinch this now they are already champions. They'll want to entertain I imagine which could play into our hands.

Recent form, the fact they have nothing to play for and we do, I think makes the odds about right. I think it will be tight but I think we can pinch this now they are already champions. They'll want to entertain I imagine which could play into our hands.[/quote]

Not quite correct.
A win for Lincoln will see them set a Lincoln City FC record of thirteen league victories away from home in a season.

reebok0165 wrote:Recent form, the fact they have nothing to play for and we do, I think makes the odds about right. I think it will be tight but I think we can pinch this now they are already champions. They'll want to entertain I imagine which could play into our hands.
Not quite correct.
A win for Lincoln will see them set a Lincoln City FC record of thirteen league victories away from home in a season.[/quote]

Fair play to them, and you for knowing that!

I see their manager is planning on making changes. Whichever way you look at it, that has to be good news for us.