Re: Could 4 points be enough

Stan A. Einstein wrote:Notwithstanding the usual I want to be offended brigade, there is a serious point here. All we can do tonight is win tonight. Forget about Morecambe, forget about the playoffs. There is plenty of time to think about other things. Oldham tonight is all that matters until quarter to ten this evening.
Forget about Oldham, forget about the playoffs. All that matters until 5pm on Saturday is Morecambe!

Blackandamber wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:Notwithstanding the usual I want to be offended brigade, there is a serious point here. All we can do tonight is win tonight. Forget about Morecambe, forget about the playoffs. There is plenty of time to think about other things. Oldham tonight is all that matters until quarter to ten this evening.
Forget about Oldham, forget about the playoffs. All that matters until 5pm on Saturday is Morecambe!
My thoughts exactly.

Although there are potentially four games left all of which have the potential to end in sudden death. For that reason it's all about surviving to fight another day. We can't afford to think of anything other than the next game.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:
My thoughts exactly.

Although there are potentially four games left all of which have the potential to end in sudden death. For that reason it's all about surviving to fight another day. We can't afford to think of anything other than the next game.
I was with you up until this one but IF we make the playoffs, we then have a two leg semi final and with our paper thin squad, Flynn needs to be planning for both games when picking his team for the first of these although he is likely to be very limited when it comes to options.

Amberexile wrote:

I was with you up until this one but IF we make the playoffs, we then have a two leg semi final and with our paper thin squad, Flynn needs to be planning for both games when picking his team for the first of these although he is likely to be very limited when it comes to options.
I see your point. However if make the playoffs we put out anything other than our 'best' team we risk it all going south very quickly. I still remember Alf Ramsey saving Bobby Charlton for the semi-final of the World Cup in 1970. It is of course only an opinion. We never know what could have happened only what did.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote:

I see your point. However if make the playoffs we put out anything other than our 'best' team we risk it all going south very quickly. I still remember Alf Ramsey saving Bobby Charlton for the semi-final of the World Cup in 1970. It is of course only an opinion. We never know what could have happened only what did.
That's the point, we would play our 'best' team in the first leg, the best team to make sure we win over two legs.

btw Bobby Charlton played in the Quarter Final of the 1970 World Cup when England lost to West Germany.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote: btw Bobby Charlton played in the Quarter Final of the 1970 World Cup when England lost to West Germany.
With England leading 2-0 Ramsay took Charlton off to save his legs for the semi-final.
It was a tactical substitution, West Germany had just scored to make it 2-1 in a failed attempt to hold what they had, he took off Charlton for the more 'robust' Colin Bell to bolster the midfield. Later he replaced Martin Peters with Norman Hunter for similar reasons. He later blamed the defeat on losing Banks to illness as Bonetti had a 'mare.

At least that's how I saw it 49 years ago.

Amberexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote: btw Bobby Charlton played in the Quarter Final of the 1970 World Cup when England lost to West Germany.
With England leading 2-0 Ramsay took Charlton off to save his legs for the semi-final.
It was a tactical substitution, West Germany had just scored to make it 2-1 in a failed attempt to hold what they had, he took off Charlton for the more 'robust' Colin Bell to bolster the midfield. Later he replaced Martin Peters with Norman Hunter for similar reasons. He later blamed the defeat on losing Banks to illness as Bonetti had a 'mare.

At least that's how I saw it 49 years ago.
Odd how memory plays tricks. You are quite right Charlton was taken off in response to Germany's first goal. Although it was still 2-1 when the decidedly robust Hunter replaced Peters. However the point remains 2-0 leads are fragile.If they can be lost over 20 minutes they can certainly be lost over 90.

However it is entirely academic. We will never know what would have happened if those substitutions had not taken place.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Odd how memory plays tricks. You are quite right Charlton was taken off in response to Germany's first goal. Although it was still 2-1 when the decidedly robust Hunter replaced Peters. However the point remains 2-0 leads are fragile.If they can be lost over 20 minutes they can certainly be lost over 90.

However it is entirely academic. We will never know what would have happened if those substitutions had not taken place.
Indeed, but thank goodness they did as life would have been insufferable had England won two WCs in a row. :grin:

I always get worried when we replace a striker with a midfielder to hold onto a lead, especially as it rarely seems to work for us either.

Quick recap:

If County win, County are in playoffs.

If County draw, we need [EDIT] Exeter to lose or draw at FGR.

If County lose, we need Exeter to lose, AND none of Colchester, Carlisle and Stevenage to win.

--------------------------------

If County make the playoffs, we will play one of the following in the 2-legged Play-off semis:

Mansfield (if they lose to MK and there isn't an 8 goal swing to FGR)
MK (unless they beat Mansfield)
Forest Green (if they win and MK lose to Mansfield)
or Tranmere (in the unlikely event of a 6 goal swing with Mansfield beating MK and FGR not winning; or a frankly preposterous 14 goal swing over Mansfield, if MK beat Mansfield and FGR don't win).

I assume we'd be home first, anyone know if that would be the [EDIT] Thursday 9th evening (tie A) or the Friday 10th match (tie B)? I'm guessing it would be the Thursday, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Last edited by SJG99 on May 3rd, 2019, 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

SJG99 wrote:Quick recap:

If County win, County are in playoffs.

If County draw, we need Exeter to lose at FGR.

If County lose, we need Exeter to lose, AND none of Colchester, Carlisle and Stevenage to win.

--------------------------------

If County make the playoffs, we will play one of the following in the 2-legged Play-off semis:

Mansfield (if they lose to MK and there isn't an 8 goal swing to FGR)
MK (unless they beat Mansfield)
Forest Green (if they win and MK lose to Mansfield)
or Tranmere (in the unlikely event of a 6 goal swing with Mansfield beating MK and FGR not winning; or a frankly preposterous 14 goal swing over Mansfield, if MK beat Mansfield and FGR don't win).

I assume we'd be home first, anyone know if that would be the Friday 19th evening (tie A) or the Saturday 20th match (tie B)? I'm guessing it would be the Friday, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
If County draw then Exeter will have to win to stop County making playoffs.

Blackandamber wrote:If County draw then Exeter will have to win to stop County making playoffs.
Yup, tweaked it for clarity. They have to better our result.

Also changed the playoff semi dates which were wrong in my head (9th and 10th not 19th and 20th). Makes booking leave that much more difficult!