Re: Zebrosky

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Melling's equaliser wrote:Don't want to rabbit on too much but the money effect is one thing that pi***s me off with the modern game. The team that I think I have most respect for (don't like them though) is Celtic 1967. Won the European cup with all players born within 25 miles of Glasgow City centre. A proper local team.
Would certainly agree with the last paragraph. And all left footers too.
They weren't all left footers but they were a proper team, the in joke was that you could only tell who were RCs on a Friday when they ate fish. H

It was another Glasgow club that only signed players from certain religious backgrounds.[/quote]

Little known fact. Celtic have never had an all Catholic policy. No Celtic team has ever taken the field with an all Catholic XI. Further Jock Stein was ostracized by some of his 'friends' as he was a Protestant and they didn't like him managing Celtic.

Religion like politics has no place in football. I want County to win this evening and even if Mansfield's team was made up of far left Catholics, I'd still want County to win.[/quote]

I wish I hadn't mentioned Celtic now. I made no reference to religion in my post. I said they were all local and I respect them. This was in reference to money and how it talks. Anyway, today is about the County not Scottish tribalism.

Re: Zebrosky

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Melling's equaliser wrote:Don't want to rabbit on too much but the money effect is one thing that pi***s me off with the modern game. The team that I think I have most respect for (don't like them though) is Celtic 1967. Won the European cup with all players born within 25 miles of Glasgow City centre. A proper local team.
Would certainly agree with the last paragraph. And all left footers too.
They weren't all left footers but they were a proper team, the in joke was that you could only tell who were RCs on a Friday when they ate fish. H

It was another Glasgow club that only signed players from certain religious backgrounds.[/quote]

Little known fact. Celtic have never had an all Catholic policy. No Celtic team has ever taken the field with an all Catholic XI. Further Jock Stein was ostracized by some of his 'friends' as he was a Protestant and they didn't like him managing Celtic.

Religion like politics has no place in football. I want County to win this evening and even if Mansfield's team was made up of far left Catholics, I'd still want County to win.[/quote]

I stand corrected. I was obviously misinformed, although my comment was meant to be tongue in cheek.
For what it's worth I wouldn't disagree that their European cup triumph in '67 was the greatest ever achievement in club football.
I may be persuaded otherwise if we win promotion to league 1 at Wembley.