Re: Should we sign a goalkeeper?

I don’t think there’s any point... if anything put the youth team goalkeeper on the bench and give them valuable experience (although Flynn clearly doesn’t rate them as we have not had a 2nd choice keeper for the last 5 or so games).

I’ll worry if we don’t get promoted for the sake of our players. I am certain the first out the door will be Day, he is far better than league two standard. I’ve heard Peterborough have been at several games towards the end of the season.

Day is a quality keeper and a quality human being. Just a small thing which you would not have seen from your end. You are chasing the game with about 75 mins gone. The ball came behind your goal (at our end) and a young ball boy aged about 9 got the ball and threw it to straight to him. Instead of rushing away to carry on Day took a split second to move towards him and pat him on the head. Didn't need to do it and in the heat of the moment not many would. Took a crucial two seconds to make a lovely gesture and obviously sums the guy up.Hope he goes right to the top!

Thanks for your generous words and speaking so honestly without any digs a breath of fresh air.
Joe Day is a great goalkeeper every County fan sees him in a different light but no one can disagree he is a great people person.
IMHO he is one of the best shot stoppers in League 1 and 2 apart from his distribution I cannot fault him. Just hope he stays for at least another season.
All the best to Morecambe next season.

somerton moss wrote:Thanks for your generous words and speaking so honestly without any digs a breath of fresh air.
Joe Day is a great goalkeeper every County fan sees him in a different light but no one can disagree he is a great people person.
IMHO he is one of the best shot stoppers in League 1 and 2 apart from his distribution I cannot fault him. Just hope he stays for at least another season.
All the best to Morecambe next season.
I agree completely and hope he extends his contract.

However, I wondered whether signing Townsend for 2 years was significant.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:On topic and notwithstanding that Joe Day is a first rate person and a competent, and on what I've seen this season very competent League 2 goalkeeper, if possible the answer should be yes. If he gets injured or eats a dodgy prawn we are going to look a right crowd of idiots.
My thoughts too!
The consequence of losing Joe via illness, injury or red card, without a keeper on the bench, is too high I’m my opinion

Percy plunkett wrote:MF had said that the only keepers offered were inexperienced U23 ones which would be a gamble.No experienced keepers were available just to sit on the bench.If Day got injured,then an experienced keeper would then come as he was guaranteed a game.The problem is if Day is injured during a game.
It's cover for a maximum of three games. Signing a keeper in such circumstances, if possible, allows him to train and get used to his defence.

I am sure you're right that no experienced keeper would sign to sit on the bench for a season but for three games I feel sure someone would.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:MF had said that the only keepers offered were inexperienced U23 ones which would be a gamble.No experienced keepers were available just to sit on the bench.If Day got injured,then an experienced keeper would then come as he was guaranteed a game.The problem is if Day is injured during a game.
It's cover for a maximum of three games. Signing a keeper in such circumstances, if possible, allows him to train and get used to his defence.

I am sure you're right that no experienced keeper would sign to sit on the bench for a season but for three games I feel sure someone would.
I'm not saying that I agree with Flynny.I would have got someone in,even a retired 40 something keeper,just to have an option better than sticking an outfield player there.The problem was,no manager would loan their third choice in case one of theirs got injured,and they couldn't recall him.An emergency loan means they can recall him if needed.