Re: Signings

Mr Figo wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Mr Figo wrote:
It's a completely pointless debate at the moment.
So ignore it.
Like everyone else! :lol:
Absolutely. Tonight we start a series of games, hopefully three, which are the most important since 2013. Why anyone wants to talk about who we may or may not sign throughout the summer is a complete mystery to me.

But if they want to, then let them. I have no interest in the name of the royal baby. And that a second rate American actress and a low ranking army officer would, you would seem to think by social media coverage, have become the first couple in recorded history to have a baby leaves me utterly perplexed.

But if people want to talk about it, I certainly won't be trying to stop them. :grin:

Mr Figo wrote:/quote]

Evening Mike,

Have to disagree with you on this one. My view is that people should be able to discuss whatever they like. If anyone doesn't want to like what is being written they should just ignore it.
It's a completely pointless debate at the moment.[/quote]

Pointless or not, it's the topic that appears on most Message Boards at the end of every season and gives fans the opportunity to express their ideas.

Maybe pointless, but quite harmless.

NCFC_MAD wrote:I think we could go in for Lancashire who got released by Swindon.
He's the only footballer I've ever seen play a backpass from the halfway line and concede a corner because he missed the keeper by so much that in the the keeper was unable to sprint to keep it in. That was at Swindon when he was playing for Saints - I regard him as Southampton's worst academy product to still be somehow getting a contract.

Re: the "pointless" debate, there are two non-pointless discussions to be had (at least until Sunday), "who should we sign if we go up?" and "who do we need to sign for another season in L2?". But "who shall we sign?" alone is indeed pointless until we know which division we'll be in.

SJG99 wrote:Re: the "pointless" debate, there are two non-pointless discussions to be had (at least until Sunday), "who should we sign if we go up?" and "who do we need to sign for another season in L2?". But "who shall we sign?" alone is indeed pointless until we know which division we'll be in.
There is an argument to be made that in either scenario we would be looking for similar players as County will either be looking for improvements to get promoted or for players that would keep County up. Obviously it depends on whom is retained and whom released and whom decide to move on. But we'll need fullbacks/wing-backs, certainly another CB, some better central midfielders and some options in attack. But I feel I have been saying similar at the end of every season...

I think it would be sensible to consider what the manager has to offer, to tempt players to sign for Newport County
Question- What does the manager have to offer a new player?
Where do we play ?
What is our budget. ?
Do we have training faculties ?
After considering the answers to those four questions I think the Manager has very little to offer new players except his great enthusiasm for this club and the the bond of the team spirit among the players already at the club. So I think Michael Flynn has done a great job in team building the squad here now. Which probably means that there may be one or two other clubs noting HIS progress in the brilliant job he has done so far, and I think that may be the the our biggest threat to come in the near future..
Come on the Port !!......................Bob Bassett

BertieB wrote:I think it would be sensible to consider what the manager has to offer, to tempt players to sign for Newport County
Question- What does the manager have to offer a new player?
Where do we play ?
What is our budget. ?
Do we have training faculties ?
After considering the answers to those four questions I think the Manager has very little to offer new players except his great enthusiasm for this club and the the bond of the team spirit among the players already at the club. So I think Michael Flynn has done a great job in team building the squad here now. Which probably means that there may be one or two other clubs noting HIS progress in the brilliant job he has done so far, and I think that may be the the our biggest threat to come in the near future..
Come on the Port !!......................Bob Bassett
I disagree. I don't think Flynn is going anywhere soon. I think the opportunity to build his home town club will fulfil his ambitions for a couple of seasons. Unless he were to get a big offer from a big club...