Re: Grandstand - Mansfield play-off 1st leg at Rodney Parade

UPTHEPORT wrote:
redstarparker_port wrote:On the whole a great occasion last night & probably a fair (&positive) result in the end.

Sad to say that our resurgence in the 2nd half was spoiled a bit for me by the behaviour of a tiny minority of our fans in the Hazell Terrace. After the linesman ruled out the goal a coin was thrown (luckily didnt make contact), plus a lad ran up to the barrier and spat two clear gobfuls of spit towards the linesman. Really embarassing , not what we're about and a shame to see as it was a brilliant atmosphere otherwise.

Onwards & upwards to Sunday.
If that's true its disgusting and I hope you reported it straight away

The lineo got every call correct but even if he didn't there's no need of that
No idea who threw it sadly, only saw it landing. A few people near me were looking at the general area it came from to see but whoever did it was hiding among a throng of people. Someone must know though.

Sadly wouldnt be able to identify the spitter either- just saw the back of his head from where I was and looked as if he'd come from another area of the terrace to do it. Happened almost immediately after ref put his flag up to disallow the goal.

Completely agree with your comments Uptheport - totally unneccessary and respect to the linesman for carrying on undeterred.

Again though, I'd emphasise the culprits were two berks among a crowd of thousands who supported the team brilliantly.

Amberexile wrote:It can only be red card if their player has possession of the ball and is incontrol of it. Without the benefit of replays he didn't.

Managers need to understand the laws before mouthing off
You've literally just made that up.

If, say, a defender pulls back a striker clean through who is running for a cross in the box and clearly going to get to it, it's denying a goalscoring opportunity and a red card.

Amberexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote:I've seen a replay now. Under the laws of the game, OB could not be red carded as their player did not even touch the ball let alone have it under control.

He doesn't need to have control of the ball. The referee should actually assess whether he has or is likely to gain control of the ball.
You make the mistake of reading the words without knowledge of how the laws are taught.
Never a red to anyone who has attended the course.
You make the mistake of being completely wrong about it. :lol:

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:
Ugo. wrote:
DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Just watched the highlights, admit I got a few things wrong. OB should have been sent off, easily a DOGSO offence and he was the last man. Only got a yellow because it was so early in the game I feel.
Robbie's goal was a yard offside.
Our penalty was the correct decision also, Azeez got a touch and Logan took him out.

Sound all-round decisions by the officials, Flitcroft needs to wind his neck in, horrible man.

I've seen and disagree with both of your assessments, OB should not have been sent off as Walker didn't have control of the ball, for the penalty the goalie got a touch on the ball and therefore no pen.
OB physically held and man-handled their player to prevent him getting to the ball. Clear foul and obvious goal-scoring opportunity and as he was the last defender I wouldn't have argued with a red card. As a ref myself I have dismissed players for similar.

From the Sky highlights, my view is Azeez got the last touch (admittedly taking the ball away from goal) and Logan clattered into him unable to get out of the way, but because it appeared he tried to get the ball the ref generously didn't book him.

Football is always about opinions though and it's good we can debate this. The referee assessor was surprisingly sat just behind Flitcroft tonight (I did wonder if that was deliberate) rather than higher up in the stand, he would have seen how Flitcroft behaved.
Interestingly I think the reason the ref only booked him was because O'Brien was also being fouled with an arm being pushed around his throat area. IMO it has nothing to do with official interpretations of DOGSO (which definitely say he could have been sent off, though there was a nearby defender) and everything to do with the ref not being sure O'Brien wasn't being fouled first.

As for the person who tried to blame Day for not coming off his line quick enough, there were two defenders dealing with it and had I found our keeper 5 yards outside the box for a 1 on 1 in the first 10 minutes I'd have had a fit. He was brilliant with his positioning and decision making in the second half in a far more dangerous situation as well.

SJG99 wrote:
Amberexile wrote:It can only be red card if their player has possession of the ball and is incontrol of it. Without the benefit of replays he didn't.

If, say, a defender pulls back a striker clean through who is running for a cross in the box and clearly going to get to it, it's denying a goalscoring opportunity and a red card.
Just repeating the advice I was given on how to interpret DOGSO situations on the referees course.

At one time there was a view that the refs course should be a mandatory part of the coaching courses. Sounded like a good idea to me.

Amberexile wrote:
SJG99 wrote:

Just repeating the advice I was given on how to interpret DOGSO situations on the referees course.

At one time there was a view that the refs course should be a mandatory part of the coaching courses. Sounded like a good idea to me.

Every season the relevant FAs write to each club with the update laws of the game a form is attached for them to sign that all received and understood its pretty obvious the clubs don't take any notice

I would also like to see all apprentices take the Referee course as well you never know you may get more young lads taking that path when released

UPTHEPORT wrote:

I would also like to see all apprentices take the Referee course as well you never know you may get more young lads taking that path when released
Jim, imagine you're forty yards from an incident where the ball goes out for a throw in. You don't have the first clue who played it last, neither does your lino. You can be certain of only two thing. Firstly both players involved know who touched the ball last. And both players will say it was the other guy.

They both know the law but it won't stop them 'cheating'. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be.

Neddy Flanders wrote:Just have to commend the 30 or so Mansfield fans that came into the Excelsior Club before the match last night. Friendly, jovial and a credit to their club.
I’m afraid to say though, that judging by previous visits to Mansfield, we’ll be treated like absolute cattle on Sunday.
Our stewarding and policing at Mansfield is abysmal - believe me, we know this. I hope some of you take advantage of Sandy Pate Bar behind the West Stand and mingle with us. There are often away fans in there and you definitely won't find any trouble.

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Every season the relevant FAs write to each club with the update laws of the game a form is attached for them to sign that all received and understood its pretty obvious the clubs don't take any notice

At one point Sheffield United used to send all theirs on the course. Not sure if they still do.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:

Jim, imagine you're forty yards from an incident where the ball goes out for a throw in. You don't have the first clue who played it last, neither does your lino. You can be certain of only two thing. Firstly both players involved know who touched the ball last. And both players will say it was the other guy.

They both know the law but it won't stop them 'cheating'. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be.
First, Jim would never be forty yards from play :cheers: but you can be 5 yards away and still not be certain up to about under 11s you can often get away with it because one player gets the ball and the other moves away to defend the throw. Beyond that age you are sadly correct.

Strange isn't it how half the players want the ref to make a mistake every time the ball goes out of play, then go ballistic when he does

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:

If you're unsure about a throw you always give it to the defending team that's what I was told as a new ref and always stuck by it

First, Jim would never be forty yards from play :cheers: but you can be 5 yards away and still not be certain up to about under 11s you can often get away with it because one player gets the ball and the other moves away to defend the throw. Beyond that age you are sadly correct.

Strange isn't it how half the players want the ref to make a mistake every time the ball goes out of play, then go ballistic when he does[/quote]

More like 50 yards :oops: :lol:

Amberexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:

Strange isn't it how half the players want the ref to make a mistake every time the ball goes out of play, then go ballistic when he does
Not strange, it's human nature. My own view is that referees don't have enough authority. At school I played only rugby. Now referees make as many mistakes in rugby as in football. But give the referee so much as a dirty look and he'' move the free kick ten yards forward. It works.

Fans sounding off at referees is part of the game. But the lack of respect shown by players allows some morons to believe spitting at officials who make decisions they don't agree with is acceptable. Now of course the main culprit last night was the lowlife who spat at a lino. But the authorities who allow players to completely disrespect officials must take some of the responsibility.