Re: Grandstand - Mansfield play-off 1st leg at Rodney Parade

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote:From what I see, dissent is becoming more prevalent in rugby and the 10 metre advancement has fallen into disuse much like the 6 second law in football..
I don't watch much rugby so can't really comment on degree. However In only one game did I ever see the the 10 yard (shows my age) rule used. Like death and pot-noodles it's something you only do once.
When was the last time you saw a keeper done for 6 seconds?

Amberexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote:From what I see, dissent is becoming more prevalent in rugby and the 10 metre advancement has fallen into disuse much like the 6 second law in football..
I don't watch much rugby so can't really comment on degree. However In only one game did I ever see the the 10 yard (shows my age) rule used. Like death and pot-noodles it's something you only do once.
When was the last time you saw a keeper done for 6 seconds?
I agree. It's one of Aesop's fables. The snake goes to Juno and complains that men keep standing on his head. Juno replies "That's your fault. Had you bitten the first man who did that the others would take more care."

You're a referee, why don't they enforce the rule? Years ago I remember that thug Roy Keane and his mates surrounding a referee simply to intimidate. I'd have sent the lot off, abandoned the game. I am at a loss as to why this isn't done.

I'm not s referee any more Stan. I gave it up mainly because the higher level matches you do the more it becomes about selling a wrong decision rather than getting the right one. When referees cheat the players what do they expect.

My answer to your question is the marking system. Referees at lower levels are not assessed frequently enough and promotions depend largely on club marks so referees regf for the marks if they want to get on. Booking a player for dissent gets you low marks because managers are annoyed with their player and take it out on the referee, especially as you can't appeal a caution.

Amberexile wrote:I'm not s referee any more Stan. I gave it up mainly because the higher level matches you do the more it becomes about selling a wrong decision rather than getting the right one. When referees cheat the players what do they expect.

My answer to your question is the marking system. Referees at lower levels are not assessed frequently enough and promotions depend largely on club marks so referees regf for the marks if they want to get on. Booking a player for dissent gets you low marks because managers are annoyed with their player and take it out on the referee, especially as you can't appeal a caution.
I'm sure you're right. But it's shameful.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote:I'm not s referee any more Stan. I gave it up mainly because the higher level matches you do the more it becomes about selling a wrong decision rather than getting the right one. When referees cheat the players what do they expect.

I'm sure you're right. But it's shameful.
It certainly is, as very few ex-refs take the assessors course a different answer is needed but I have no idea what.

When was the last time you saw a keeper done for 6 seconds?[/quote]

It's in the new IFAB law book for referees to clamp down on next season. So, in theory, there should be more GKs penalised for holding onto the ball for more than 6secs next season. There's a really odd new rule also coming in - basically GKs can now handle the ball from a backpass or throw-in played by their team-mate so long as they were unsuccessful at clearing it with their feet first. Not sure how that'll work or why it's been introduced - defender passes back, GK goes to kick it long, slips and can now pick the ball up.

Really good new rule which sees a manager get a YC or RC for dissent also. Plus if dissent is spouted from a team's technical area but the ref/fourth official isn't sure who said it then the 'Head Coach' gets booked regardless.

Cue Mr Flitcroft getting a few bookings next season.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:
It's in the new IFAB law book for referees to clamp down on next season. So, in theory, there should be more GKs penalised for holding onto the ball for more than 6secs next season. There's a really odd new rule also coming in - basically GKs can now handle the ball from a backpass or throw-in played by their team-mate so long as they were unsuccessful at clearing it with their feet first. Not sure how that'll work or why it's been introduced - defender passes back, GK goes to kick it long, slips and can now pick the ball up.

Really good new rule which sees a manager get a YC or RC for dissent also. Plus if dissent is spouted from a team's technical area but the ref/fourth official isn't sure who said it then the 'Head Coach' gets booked regardless.

Cue Mr Flitcroft getting a few bookings next season.
Flitcroft was a disgrace in my opinion.

He should have been reprimanded for his pathetic attempts to goad the home support behind him - luckily our fans showed restraint as he's the type of **** who would have loved someone to have lost their rag and retaliated or thrown something.

It was very sweet to see him disappear when we had them on the rack, which was most of the second half.

I thought they ripped us apart from the whistle.
Horrible side but if they had a decent finisher would have been 4 up by half time.
Rose was a disgrace should of been booked trying to get Ob a second yellow.
What a pathetic turnout from the Mansfield supporters although they made a good noise.
Brakespeare and his linos were as always pathetic.
Why couldn't the EFL get us a decent ref for once.
would of taken 1-0 but we have every chance up there.
Labs has to start

Joe 6 not a lot to do
Regan 6 Not his best
OB 9 Immense in the air won everything
Micky 6 just Ok
Dan 5 Some awful passes especially irst half
Matty 4 Off the pace and hopeless last night
Robbie 4 Sorry to say but not at the races
Scott 5 Not a great performance
Josh 7 never stopped trying
Padraig 6 Not at the races and was lucky with Pen far better when he dropped back.
Jamille 6 chased to no avail

Labs 8 got to start Sunday
Azeez 5 The new Marlon maybe?

Still in with a shout of a 4th trip to Wembley

Haven't seen any instances of the enforcement of the 6 second rule in football, but have seen the 10 metre advancement used on many occasions in rugby club matches this season. Whilst accepting there has been an increase in dissent in rugby, especially since the game went officially professional, but is more often than not sanctioned, sadly unlike football.

Whilst this season has undoubtedly been one of my most enjoyable ever, it does sadden me to witness in every game the amount of pushing, shirt-pulling, elbowing, diving, feigning injury, dissent of the officials. and taking throw-ins and free-kicks from the wrong place going unpunished in every game. Although, of course, County are not immune from committing such offences it does seem to me that the opposition, Manfields amongst the worst, are usually more guilty than us, and it has become more prevalent in recent years. Or maybe I'm guilty of bias?

Back to last nights game, I believe we were a little fortunate to get a draw, after underperforming for most of the game. But what has happened cannot be changed, and we are only halfway through the tie. Hope therefore springs eternal that we can still triumph. UTC

countyareup wrote:I seem to remember going to Abergavenny for a Gwent Cup Final some time ago. I'm sure our keeper was booked for the 6 second rule. He remonstrated and was sent off. Anyone else remember this, or is my mind playing tricks?
I'm not sure there was a 6 second rule in those days. Wasn't there a limit to the number of steps a 'keeper could take whilst in possession of the ball??