Michael Flynn is he Countys greatest manager if we win Satur

If we overcome Tranmere on Saturday will MF be Countys greatest manager?
On his CV he has a great escape ( probably better than 76/77 as he had such a short timescale and a large deficit to overcome ).
Not one but two really good cup runs with wins over Leeds Leicester and Middlesboro and within 8 minutes of putting Spurs out.
Now we are in the play off final after dumping out the bookies favourites Mansfield.
All of this on a shoestring budget I thought Len Ashurst was a brilliant manager for us but the squad he assembled was reasonably expensive Dave Gwyther £40,000 Tommy Tynan £25,000 Keith Oakes similar Kevin Moore £12,000 fees also paid for Dave Bruton and Richard Walden ( though a bargain at £3,500 ) later we paid £40,000 for Mark Kendall £80,000 for Alan Waddle and £60,000 for Jeff Johnson.
We have not paid anywhere near these amounts since 40 years later the only thing MF cannot match is a European Quarter Final because we are no longer able to qualify via the Welsh Cup.
My 3 favourite managers in over 50 years of following the County are Billy Lucas Colin Addison and Sir Len Ashurst MF at the moment is right up there but will he be our best ever if he gets us up this season?

Re: Michael Flynn is he Countys greatest manager if we win S

If we get promoted, definitely yes. This will go down as the best side in this clubs history.

I was unlucky enough to miss out on the late 70s/early 80s vintage by a couple of years, but our FA Cup exploits over two consecutive seasons easily eclipse a couple of aggregate victories over Crusaders and Haugar in my eyes. Especially when you look at the money in the game today compared to back then - even at our level.

Whilst that side was obviously a special one, I would say they actually underachieved compared to what they could have done. This one has already over-achieved for a couple of years, and is on the verge of matching that sides league achievements.

For me these 3 are at the top table of County's managers and MF sits shoulder to shoulder with them. What stands out is this is Flynny's first job in difficult circumstances, all the others had previous management experience. The FA cup exploits compare to the european run, different eras and i'm not sure they underachieved because they just missed out on promotion to what would now be the Championship and the team was then broken up but I can see why people would think that.

At this early stage of MF's career to be considered equal to those 3 is one hell of an achievement and personally I think he will go on to achieve more than them in the game.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
rncfc wrote:
Whilst that side was obviously a special one, I would say they actually underachieved compared to what they could have done. This one has already over-achieved for a couple of years, and is on the verge of matching that sides league achievements.
That is a very good point.
Kevin Moore stated the above in a Facebook post a couple of days ago. He also stated that he made a mistake leaving the club when he did when he should have 'knuckled down'. Fair do's to Kevin.

Flynny has done superbly on a shoe string, the great escape was worth legend status in the city alone.
this year, even if we just miss out is another great achievement.
But let's be real here, we finished 7th this season, the sides we are comparing them to went up third - won the welsh cup and got to the quarter finals in europe. we had aldridge, tynan, lowndes and vaughn who all went on to play higher. so this side don't come close. I'm delighted for Flynn and as Supporter states he may go on to achieve more and what he has achieved is miraculous in the circumstances but for the moment, it's a simple no on facts alone.

The NCFC Hippy wrote:Flynny has done superbly on a shoe string, the great escape was worth legend status in the city alone.
But let's be real here, we finished 7th this season, the sides we are comparing them to went up third - won the welsh cup and got to the quarter finals in europe. we had aldridge, tynan, lowndes and vaughn who all went on to play higher. so this side don't come close. I'm delighted for Flynn and as Supporter states he may go on to achieve more and what he has achieved is miraculous in the circumstances but for the moment, it's a simple no on facts alone.

He can build a legacy here we have the potential to be a Championship club and if the rumours are correct when he took up management with us his Mrs said she would never move away

The NCFC Hippy wrote:Flynny has done superbly on a shoe string, the great escape was worth legend status in the city alone.
I agree very much with that.

Justanordinaryfan wrote:
I agree very much with that.
I think the point is that Flynn has achieved in far more difficult circumstances. In 1983 County owned their own stadium,gates were higher and there was money available to spend. The question was not whether being near the top of Tier 3 is better or worse than 7th in Tier 4,but whether Flynn is County's best manager.