Re: Michael Flynn is he Countys greatest manager if we win S

Hate to put the dampener on things and this is only speculation from a Plymouth Argyle fan who I know.....

They've been without a manager for about 3 weeks now and he reckons they will make an announcement 'after the weekend'. MF is bookies' favourite. I know we've speculated about this sort of possible move before but I do wonder if there might be something in this one, in that MF stays if we beat Tranmere or goes to Plymouth if we lose.

Love to see Michael in the Premier League........ Great if he could take us with him. He's in my top 2. FA Cup runs put him close to the ECWC run. I was reflecting back to 1989 and why we didn't role over to the FAW, why we went into exile. Under MF we have had the answers, never given up, don't know when we a beaten. Against all odds still here and we are not done yet.
Go get them boys, it's our time. Is he the best manager, ask me Saturday evening.

With all due respect to the cup winners cup, we overcame sides who we had a right to overcome, and over 2 legs at that.

This side has beaten Leeds, Middlesbrough, Leicester City, drew with this seasons champions league finalists, and achieved a top 7 finish with a bottom 3 budget.

For me, the achievements are much harder albeit they might not sound as glamorous as a European quarter final. Had I been around at the time maybe I'd think differently, but plenty of clubs fluked quarter and semi final appearances back in those days because of the format and also the route in the back door of qualifying via the Welsh cup. If we're brutally honest, it's a bit embarrassing we didn't have more nights like the Carl Zeiss Jena one given how not that difficult it was to qualify!!

I would agree it's difficult to compare as the game has also changed in so many ways. To be honest not that much was known about the opposition other than printed media at that time. It was an amazing part of the club's history and the feeling of wanting more success drives us on. As a diehard Ashurst fan a promotion under MF would make him number 1 in my book. I was there for the Ashurst experience, and from a distance since 2001. Regardless of who is the best, what a great time to be a County supporter.

If you were looking at County's greatest Manager then Flynn currently would have to be in the top 5, perhaps even in the top 3.

I do have some difficulty with the idea of making comparisons with Managers from long ago because things are not the same. For instance how do you compare the "Great Escape" of a few years back with the one that Addison pulled off in 1976-77? There were similarities in that failure in both cases would have led to non-league football and possible loss of the club but 1977 County literally didn't have two pennies to rub together. The players had to wash their own kit, ate packed lunches for away trips and no doubt had real worries that they may not be paid. Getting the players motivated in such circumstances must have been difficult to say the least. Context as well as statistical analysis is therefore important.

I also find it interesting that in this discussion Justin Edinburgh has not been mentioned. I'm not suggesting Edinburgh is County's greatest Manager but surely he should at least be mentioned in dispatches. He performed a minor miracle in keeping County up, got them promoted and established them as a League side. Sure he had money to play with but the game is littered with Managers that have spent poorly and not achieved.

So Flynn is up there with Ashurst, Addison, McCandless, possibly Billy Lucas, Edinburgh and Peter Beadle. In just over 2 years he has achieved much. For my money if he wants to be the undisputed greatest Manager of Newport County he needs to ensure that whenever he leaves there is a legacy his predecessor can build on.