Re: New Stadium

whoareya wrote:
Kairdiff Exile wrote: I agree that if your starting point is Rodney Parade, it’s not far. But the key thing to recognise is that most people aren’t starting there. Most people will want to get a bus / train to Newport, have a few drinks and then mosey to the ground.

Rodney Parade is bang in the middle of the city centre, tell me another football stadium outside London that is nearer the bus and railway station?

I'm assuming you get off a train from Cardiff straight into the city centre and you don't want to faff about with a bus or taxi to Spytty?
Probably St. James Park Exeter.

lowandhard wrote:So it seems we have come to a conclusion then. Sharing out of the city is out of the question for several reasons, so we must stay in Newport. Moving to Spytty without extensive development to the stadium and transport infrastructure would condemn us to low crowds and consequently non-league football. We have no alternative venues and we must as the godfather said “ make the peace “ with our present landlords. Ipso facto Q.E.D.
I'd say you've reached a conclusion based on the oreferences of those who live in Malpas.

How about people who live and travel from East Newport, fair to say that Spytty is more appealing to them than for you ?

You might have to spend some of that fat NHS pension on taxis - they're not just for them London types nowadays......

whoareya wrote:
lowandhard wrote:So it seems we have come to a conclusion then. Sharing out of the city is out of the question for several reasons, so we must stay in Newport. Moving to Spytty without extensive development to the stadium and transport infrastructure would condemn us to low crowds and consequently non-league football. We have no alternative venues and we must as the godfather said “ make the peace “ with our present landlords. Ipso facto Q.E.D.
I'd say you've reached a conclusion based on the oreferences of those who live in Malpas.

How about people who live and travel from East Newport, fair to say that Spytty is more appealing to them than for you ?

You might have to spend some of that fat NHS pension on taxis - they're not just for them London types nowadays......
:grin: well, not exactly fat but I do get taxis home from town in the evening because the bus service is so abysmal , from Spytty at night it’s non-existent! I can’t honestly believe that Spytty is really appealing to anyone, honestly and for the following reasons.
a) the shed is condemned so the only points in the ground from where you can watch play is the upper part of the grandstand. The view from ground level is awful.
b) transport as above
c) no food or pubs nearby
d) running track makes pitch a distant prospect from behind the goals.
e) we are a league club, if we segregate , where do the away fans go? Where do we seat them, toilet and catering facilities?
f) playing surface dreadful
g) no opportunity to make money from hospitality
h) the only plus I can think of is the car park though we might have to fight the travellers to get the ball back off them :grin:

So yes, it’s better for me at RP than at Spytty but frankly it’s like chalk and cheese, RP though it’s a pig’s ear as a football ground , is at least not a pig’s @rse like Spytty , fond memories though many of us share of our promotion to the conference from there. Blight and foresighted people like him knew we could never be a league club there and they were correct. I remember being among a crowd of 6 hundred odd on winter nights there and no, quite honestly I’d hate to go back there, it wasn’t great then even with baramber and it’s worse now without it. Like Moreton in the Marsh it was part of our past, I can’t see it as our future. Goodness f*cking help us if it is.

Newport City Council have been told by the WA that they can borrow £1billion to invest in roads. Just 1% of that figure would be enough to provide a fit for purpose stadium and provide a more tangible return than any roads would.
The WRU have an agenda and it is becoming clear that Newport County does not form part of it, mind you I’m not even sure that long term the Dragons do either.

allontheamber wrote:Why is it that an out of town stadium in Newport would be the end of County? It works perfectly well for many other clubs whose new grounds are further from the city centre than the Spytty area is from Newport centre.
Is it that our new core supporters have as much interest in being on the lash for three hours before a game as they do in supporting the team.
Really disappointed you feel the need to bash supporters that have a few pints pre-game and post-game. Me and my dad love the whole day not just the 90 mins at Rodney Parade!

County4Life wrote:
allontheamber wrote:Why is it that an out of town stadium in Newport would be the end of County? It works perfectly well for many other clubs whose new grounds are further from the city centre than the Spytty area is from Newport centre.
Is it that our new core supporters have as much interest in being on the lash for three hours before a game as they do in supporting the team.
Really disappointed you feel the need to bash supporters that have a few pints pre-game and post-game. Me and my dad love the whole day not just the 90 mins at Rodney Parade!
Why would a move to Spytty stop you doing that for the sake of a £5 taxi ride?

Better still, a few pints in a new BarAmber with all profits going to the club. Did you ever spend any time in the old BarAmber at Spytty?

County4Life wrote:
If Newport County had a suitable out of town stadium with properly designed infrastructure and public transport links then such a stadium would have a clubhouse. You and your dad could have an equally good day out, perhaps better knowing that the profits from your beers would be going to the club.

Edit.

Finding myself in agreement with Whoareya is a first. :grin:

Stan A. Einstein wrote: If Newport County had a suitable out of town stadium with properly designed infrastructure and public transport links then such a stadium would have a clubhouse. You and your dad could have an equally good day out, perhaps better knowing that the profits from your beers would be going to the club.
Stan, you're right that it's easy to erect a clubhouse next to an out-of-town stadium. My point, and the point being made by others, is that a clubhouse does not suffice because it only caters to a limited market. Many people won't want to drink pints of Carling in a rather glum portacabin with insufficient seating. Many people will want to go somewhere more convivial with their families for a proper meal, or they'll want to go to a few pubs for a pint of something drinkable, or they'll want to have a decent coffee - the list goes on.

A stadium within a short, pleasant walk of the city centre allows for this. Last season, I'd usually have a decent meal and a drink at the Murenger, or meet friends for drinks at Tiny Rebel. When I went with family, we'd go to one of the restaurants at the new shopping centre. A few times, I went to the nice coffee shop by the pedestrian bridge to read the paper in peace before the game. Having these options made for a varied and pleasant matchday experience, especially for people coming with family and friends.

I'm sure the Ivy Bush is great for those who want to drink there, as was the portacabin at Spytty - but let's not pretend that they cater to all but a very narrow taste.

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: If Newport County had a suitable out of town stadium with properly designed infrastructure and public transport links then such a stadium would have a clubhouse. You and your dad could have an equally good day out, perhaps better knowing that the profits from your beers would be going to the club.
Stan, you're right that it's easy to erect a clubhouse next to an out-of-town stadium. My point, and the point being made by others, is that a clubhouse does not suffice because it only caters to a limited market. Many people won't want to drink pints of Carling in a rather glum portacabin with insufficient seating. Many people will want to go somewhere more convivial with their families for a proper meal, or they'll want to go to a few pubs for a pint of something drinkable, or they'll want to have a decent coffee - the list goes on.

A stadium within a short, pleasant walk of the city centre allows for this. Last season, I'd usually have a decent meal and a drink at the Murenger, or meet friends for drinks at Tiny Rebel. When I went with family, we'd go to one of the restaurants at the new shopping centre. A few times, I went to the nice coffee shop by the pedestrian bridge to read the paper in peace before the game. Having these options made for a varied and pleasant matchday experience, especially for people coming with family and friends.

I'm sure the Ivy Bush is great for those who want to drink there, as was the portacabin at Spytty - but let's not pretend that they cater to all but a very narrow taste.
Wow just logged back on to see such a great response with exactly my viewpoint :cheers: Each to their own and all that but yes, I echo the same sentiments. And it is easier for those who wish to have drinks in there local community to hop on a bus an hour or two before KO and still make the game in plenty of time! :bounce:

County4Life wrote:In summary, doesn't it all come down to transport links? It's why RP has been a success for the club
Tend to agree though of course to fulfil the dreams of some who believe Spytty to be the “ theatre of dreams “ just good links wouldn’t be enough. The cost of making it a football stadium are beyond our means, we moved because it was inadequate, didn’t we? As were the transport links and local facilities. With enough money it may be possible to make a silk purse out of it but would the rest of the problem be solved? When we win the messageboard lottery eh?

Kairdiff Exile wrote:

I don't disagree. Which is why an out of town centre stadium needs proper transport links. Of course the best option and in my view the most sensible would be for Newport County to have a proper stake in Rodney Parade. But if this is not possible then whether it be at a revamped Spytty or a new stadium developed for football with proper transport links is the next best option.

And sometimes we have to settle for the less than ideal. I enjoyed my career but still would have preferred an advert in the Argus circa 1981. 'Guinness taster required. History graduate preferred.' Sadly now such job advertisement ever appeared.