Re: New Stadium

Why dont the many councilors named and photographed in our local press, during the past weeks , giving glowing reports on the effect that Newport County,s displays over the past two seasons has boosted trade for local business's by their performances against higher league teams like Leicester City and Middlesboro and the also ManCity, which earned the Newport County the rewards ,for example NO PITCH TO TRAIN ON for yesterdays match with Tranmere Rovers. Not only that the pitch which Newport County already share with Newport RFC and the Drag------ons, they now also share with Wales Womans Football team, who have decided to consider Rodney Parade as their "homeground". or at least until the WRU build the new hotel promised
There is a certain person who over the past years been allowed to expand a former maternity hospital into something similar in appearance to a fortress when viewed from the M4 motorway toward this city, The building of the place and all it surrounding expansion into golf courses, new approach roads and amenities unending.and unchecked !,
My question is why dont our councilors approach the person concerned with those developements and invite him to maybe help them to aim at the developement of a sports stadium for our footballl and rugby teams similar to Cardiff and Swansea
One good turn deserves another !!
Playing at Wembley in a week , but you cant train at your usual base 'Cos its shut !!
UNBELEIVABLE ? But true, !!
Come on the Portt "!! Bob Bassett

I’ve seen the plan for houses on the queens school site. I live just behind. Traffic is a major problem as is parking.
I couldn’t see the Council giving the go ahead to build a stadium in a built up area. Most new stadiums seem to be built out of town. Also a lot of the Newport councillors live in Allt-Yr-Yn :grin:

As someone who does't live in Newport, knows nothing of any areas of the city, or any little issues that may relate to them, could someone give me a serious idea of what realistic sites could be available in and around, or just outside the City Centre, or even right outside the city altogether. Do not include Rodney Parade, but do include Spytty if you want.

as someone who went to queens comprehensive as it was then, I dread to think how much it would cost to level the site out as the gates on queens hill are probably 10-15 feet lower than the rugby pitch at the back of the old school, & that is before we address the afore mentioned access problems.

newgroundrodney wrote:As someone who does't live in Newport, knows nothing of any areas of the city, or any little issues that may relate to them, could someone give me a serious idea of what realistic sites could be available in and around, or just outside the City Centre, or even right outside the city altogether. Do not include Rodney Parade, but do include Spytty if you want.
To be honest you’d presumably have to look at Spytty retail/ Llanwern or Celtic Springs end unless you sacrificed a public park. I don’t think many ( at least I certainly don’t ) have any appetite for an out of town soulless legoland stadium whether it’s modern and custom built or not. I suspect attendance would drop with such a move rather than improve. We ought to try to stay in the city as the enlightened group who took us to RP realised.

newgroundrodney wrote:As someone who does't live in Newport, knows nothing of any areas of the city, or any little issues that may relate to them, could someone give me a serious idea of what realistic sites could be available in and around, or just outside the City Centre, or even right outside the city altogether. Do not include Rodney Parade, but do include Spytty if you want.

Reading the post below yours set me thinking about school sites that may be suitable. Now, I know that I have been away from Newport for many years so please excuse me if my ideas don't make sense. Two school sites spring to mind. What about;

The land in front of Tredegar House. Excellent road connections. No idea who owns the land now but I suspect it may be in public ownership.

The land where Hartridge school used to stand. Driving past yesterday I noticed that Llanwern school now takes up part of that, but the land behind it is vast. Plenty of room. Excellent road connections. Again, it will be in public ownership.

Alternatively of course there is also Jim suggestion, second post. :wink:

Let's be honest the City Council aren't going to free up good housing land for a football stadium or even a football/rugby stadium, it's not something local homeowners are going to like.
So if and it is an if, the Council agreed to help us it would probably be around the current Council owned Spytty, or another site outside of domestic housing zones, and I still can't see the City tax payers being too happy with using tax payers money to make 4,000 out of 150,000 happy

Obviously some don't know the history of Newport BC and Newport County. Seriously are those Council c's gunna sell good central land to a football team they despise, or property developers they were always in bed with.

Don't ever ever forget it was the council that pulled the plug on th County that essentially sent it into liquidation. Those c's are never welcome.

A new ground will be built on the cheapest land ie. Llanwern. The Ironsiders returning to their roots. Loads of cheaper land and room to expand training grounds and youth and womens football. Needs an investor. But maybe after the run; a dare to dream exile might make it home.

Imho both the last two suggestions would be an absolute disaster for the club. Great for those who wish to drive there but the vast majority get into the city and enjoy the hospitality there before walking to the stadium for the games. Public transport to the proposed sites is practically non-existent.

Back at Spytty I well remember standing at the bus stop as the bus sailed past because people were being picked up by car in the lay-by, the bus drivers simply refusing to stop. I enjoyed myself in the shed even in winter but crowds of 650 won’t sustain us .

Incidentally, It would be even more impossible to get to the sites suggested above by any means except taxi which would be overwhelmed by demand and too expensive for many. Disastrous idea.