Re: New Stadium

Kairdiff Exile wrote:Many people won't want to drink pints of Carling in a rather glum portacabin with insufficient seating. Many people will want to go somewhere more convivial with their families for a proper meal, or they'll want to go to a few pubs for a pint of something drinkable, or they'll want to have a decent coffee - the list goes on.
I haven't lived in Newport for 25 years but I was down last Friday to renew my season ticket - I think these families looking for conviviality will struggle in the city centre.......

Better off trying Spytty Retail Park..............

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: If Newport County had a suitable out of town stadium with properly designed infrastructure and public transport links then such a stadium would have a clubhouse. You and your dad could have an equally good day out, perhaps better knowing that the profits from your beers would be going to the club.
Stan, you're right that it's easy to erect a clubhouse next to an out-of-town stadium. My point, and the point being made by others, is that a clubhouse does not suffice because it only caters to a limited market. Many people won't want to drink pints of Carling in a rather glum portacabin with insufficient seating. Many people will want to go somewhere more convivial with their families for a proper meal, or they'll want to go to a few pubs for a pint of something drinkable, or they'll want to have a decent coffee - the list goes on.

A stadium within a short, pleasant walk of the city centre allows for this. Last season, I'd usually have a decent meal and a drink at the Murenger, or meet friends for drinks at Tiny Rebel. When I went with family, we'd go to one of the restaurants at the new shopping centre. A few times, I went to the nice coffee shop by the pedestrian bridge to read the paper in peace before the game. Having these options made for a varied and pleasant matchday experience, especially for people coming with family and friends.

I'm sure the Ivy Bush is great for those who want to drink there, as was the portacabin at Spytty - but let's not pretend that they cater to all but a very narrow taste.
Exile, you have pretty much described my pre and post game routine, I know many others do the same too. A polystyrene tray of chips, stood in a windswept Athletics ground doesn't appeal to me. I must be getting old.

RiscaRascal wrote:
Kairdiff Exile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: If Newport County had a suitable out of town stadium with properly designed infrastructure and public transport links then such a stadium would have a clubhouse. You and your dad could have an equally good day out, perhaps better knowing that the profits from your beers would be going to the club.
Stan, you're right that it's easy to erect a clubhouse next to an out-of-town stadium. My point, and the point being made by others, is that a clubhouse does not suffice because it only caters to a limited market. Many people won't want to drink pints of Carling in a rather glum portacabin with insufficient seating. Many people will want to go somewhere more convivial with their families for a proper meal, or they'll want to go to a few pubs for a pint of something drinkable, or they'll want to have a decent coffee - the list goes on.

A stadium within a short, pleasant walk of the city centre allows for this. Last season, I'd usually have a decent meal and a drink at the Murenger, or meet friends for drinks at Tiny Rebel. When I went with family, we'd go to one of the restaurants at the new shopping centre. A few times, I went to the nice coffee shop by the pedestrian bridge to read the paper in peace before the game. Having these options made for a varied and pleasant matchday experience, especially for people coming with family and friends.

I'm sure the Ivy Bush is great for those who want to drink there, as was the portacabin at Spytty - but let's not pretend that they cater to all but a very narrow taste.
Exile, you have pretty much described my prel and post game routine, I know many others do the same too. A polystyrene tray of chips, stood in a windswept Athletics ground doesn't appeal to me. I must be getting old.
Yep.

lowandhard wrote:
County4Life wrote:In summary, doesn't it all come down to transport links? It's why RP has been a success for the club
Tend to agree though of course to fulfil the dreams of some who believe Spytty to be the “ theatre of dreams “ just good links wouldn’t be enough. The cost of making it a football stadium are beyond our means, we moved because it was inadequate, didn’t we? As were the transport links and local facilities. With enough money it may be possible to make a silk purse out of it but would the rest of the problem be solved? When we win the messageboard lottery eh?
It's hard to imagine, but I guess there are fans out there that 'yearn' for the old days at an out-of-town athletics stadium and once again join the Spartan 300 that were there whatever the weather :grin:

lowandhard wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:There is a "County fan" I know of who since we moved to RP has refused to attend games :shock:
Unbelievable mate, they must hate Wembley then. What’s the attraction with Spytty, I can’t explain it, I was glad to get out of the dump.
I agree mate, I hated the place. Would be devastated if/when we had to go back there.

I don't know if this has been suggested before but how about Shaftesbury park if the council would give it to us,after all of them saying how much the county has done for the city over the past few seasons. It would be a great opportunity for them to actually do something instead of just saying it.