Re: Swansea Job

No championship side will employ a league two manager. If Flynn is to manager in the championship it will either be with county or he moves to a league one side and either goes up with them or then moves to the championship.

Bush wrote:No championship side will employ a league two manager. If Flynn is to manager in the championship it will either be with county or he moves to a league one side and either goes up with them or then moves to the championship.

Not strictly true as it looks like Melon who is favourite for the Swansea job could land it and the Cowley brothers are also being lined up from teams in the Championship. That said the have actually achieved success by winning promotion from the division.
Flynn for all the good he has done at the helm hasn't actually achieved anything yet. Yes he has been great turning us into play off contenders but he/we still failed at the final hurdle.....

neilcork68 wrote:
Bush wrote:No championship side will employ a league two manager. If Flynn is to manager in the championship it will either be with county or he moves to a league one side and either goes up with them or then moves to the championship.

Not strictly true as it looks like Melon who is favourite for the Swansea job could land it and the Cowley brothers are also being lined up from teams in the Championship. That said the have actually achieved success by winning promotion from the division.
Flynn for all the good he has done at the helm hasn't actually achieved anything yet. Yes he has been great turning us into play off contenders but he/we still failed at the final hurdle.....
I think that's a bit harsh. Flynn's win ratio is good and the great escape was a significant achievement. if we challenge again next season I think Flynn will have a realistic chance of a job at either Championship level or with a team in League 1 who should be Championship.

"hasn't achieved anything"

Give your head a wobble. We're a club with one of the smallest budgets in our division - a division we wouldn't be in at all had it not been for a miracle escape he engineered - that is just coming off a narrow (and arguably harsh) defeat in the playoff final and consecutive cup runs. Achievement isn't defined solely by silverware or promotion - it's relative.

neilcork68 wrote:

Mellon isn’t favourite for the Swansea job. Tell me another manager who went from league 2 to championship without taking a team up.

[/quote]

Mellon isn’t favourite for the Swansea job. Tell me another manager who went from league 2 to championship without taking a team up.[/quote]

There's a lot more current and semi-retired managers who have done this than you would think.....

The LMA website lists all managers althabetically, with biopics of their achievements. I got as far as letter C -

Micky Adams, guided Brighton to the LGE 2 trophy before taking over at Leicester.
Michael Appleton, got Oxford to the LGE 2 play-off final before joining Leicester, first as assistant then caretaker manager.
Phil Brown was a/manager at LGE 2 Blackpool before taking over as Bolton boss.
Colin Calderwood was boss of LGE 2 Northampton before taking over at Forest.
Paul Cook went from Accrington Stanley to Wigan in the Championship (albeit via a quick spell at Pompey)
Steve Cotterill took Cheltenham from the NL into Lge1 before moving to Stoke in the Prem.

There's a lot more current and semi-retired managers who have done this than you would think.....

The LMA website lists all managers althabetically, with biopics of their achievements. I got as far as letter C -

Micky Adams, guided Brighton to the LGE 2 trophy before taking over at Leicester.
Michael Appleton, got Oxford to the LGE 2 play-off final before joining Leicester, first as assistant then caretaker manager.
Phil Brown was a/manager at LGE 2 Blackpool before taking over as Bolton boss.
Colin Calderwood was boss of LGE 2 Northampton before taking over at Forest.
Paul Cook went from Accrington Stanley to Wigan in the Championship (albeit via a quick spell at Pompey)
Steve Cotterill took Cheltenham from the NL into Lge1 before moving to Stoke in the Prem.[/quote]

Adams went to Leicester as assistant manager.
Appleton went to Leicester as assistant.
Brown was assistant at Blackpool then went to Bolton as assistant.
Calderwood was promoted to league one then got a championship job. So give you that one.
Cook went to chesterfield after Accrington and got promoted to league one and did a season in league one.
Cotterill went from league two Cheltenham to league one stoke.

So basically the only true league two to championship move is Colin calderwood and even then he was a promoted manager and this happened 13 years ago so the likelihood of Flynn getting a championship job is slim.
Last edited by Bush on June 5th, 2019, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What’s Hats and Lennie gunna do?!

Bush wrote:If Henry gets the Swansea job I wouldn’t be surprised if he approaches Flynn to be his assistant. Plenty of managers have taken assistant roles higher in the pyramid to set themselves up for higher jobs.

Countymax wrote:What’s Hats and Lennie gunna do?!

Bush wrote:If Henry gets the Swansea job I wouldn’t be surprised if he approaches Flynn to be his assistant. Plenty of managers have taken assistant roles higher in the pyramid to set themselves up for higher jobs.
Whatever they want to do. They are adults and had jobs before they got with Flynn. Maybe if Flynn left hatswell would be the logical next man up to take the job and why wouldn’t Lennie carry on then?

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Simon Grayson, Lge2 Blackpool to Leeds.
Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbank, Lge2 Burton to QPR.
Paul Ince, Lge2 MK Dons to Premiership Blackburn.

Shall I go on?
The common theme for those three was that they all had promotions on their CV’s, yet were abject failures at the higher level. MF should also take note that they are all now currently unemployed!