Womens World Cup

Am I supposed to get excited about the women's world cup?

Judging by the BBC and the newspaper coverage, especially the Guardian, this is an event that is supposed to be the highlight of the summer but I couldn't care less about it.

Am I the odd one out here or am I just a sexist dinosaur?

Re: Womens World Cup

Snowman wrote:Am I supposed to get excited about the women's world cup?

Judging by the BBC and the newspaper coverage, especially the Guardian, this is an event that is supposed to be the highlight of the summer but I couldn't care less about it.

It's a spectacular tournament that deserves prime time tv coverage.

According to the BBC........

The only way I'd watch is if it is played in the Benny Hill genre.....

Is there a women's world Cup happening? Cool, I don't mind women's football but let's be honest, it's a totally different sport in most aspects.

Who knows, in time it may become as popular but that won't be for some time. Also, the goalkeepers are awful.

Not sure if you have watched any women's football but if u haven't why not give it a go ? Watched a few games on TV from the
last world cup and enjoyed the experience.

As an aside I wonder how we would do against the Women's world cup winners ?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

rgds Dave

It is great that women wish to play football. It is absolutely right that women's football gets full coverage in the media.

That I have no interest whatsoever in women's football is neither here nor there.

I’ve been to watch Wales Women a few times, and broadly enjoyed the experience. I’ll possibly watch a few of the WWC games on telly as well. It’s nice that it’s happening and getting coverage. But let’s not pretend the standard is much cop. The last Wales Women game I saw (at RP last year) was - at best - Conference standard, and even that’s pushing it.

Interesting this one.

Football is football, but the standard is not brilliant. It's probably worth watching the games in the latter stages of the competition.

Believe or not, in the early part of the 20th century, women's football was bigger than the men's game. The FA then actually banned it..! It's only in recent times, that it has been recognised and been 'allowed'. :shock:

I refereed a few games in the past and enjoyed doing so
Don't think I would pay to watch a domestic game anytime soon.
In my experience, they have much better sense of humour about the game and in general their attitude is well balanced with their level of ability which made it far more enjoyable to be in the middle.

I completely agree with you and would rather stick pins in my eyes.