Pat Mountain to Brizzle City

14 June 2019 : Bristol City Swap One Former Glovers Keeper Coach For Another
Former Yeovil Town goalkeeper Pat Mountain has been recruited as Championship side Bristol City's new goalkeeping coach. He replaces another former Glovers keeper David Coles, who left Ashton Gate last week as part of a backroom shake-up initiated by manager Lee Johnson this summer. Coles had been with the Robins for five years, following a coaching career that had taken in two spells with Portsmouth and a single season with West Ham United.

In his place comes 42 year old Mountain, who was on Yeovil Town's books during the 1998-99 season, under Colin Lippiatt, playing as a back-up to first choice keeper Tony Pennock. As such, Mountain struggled to get past his fellow Welsh keeper and moved on in the summer of 1999. He went on to have a lengthy playing career with Newport County covering over 200 games for the Exiles, until a knee injury forced him to retire at the age of 27.

Mountain has since built up a lengthy coaching career, thanks to holding both outfield and goalkeeping UEFA A Coaching qualifications. He has largely worked around the South West or South Wales, coaching at Cardiff City, Cheltenham Town, Hereford United and Wolverhampton Wanderers. His one journey away from that part of the country saw him spend six months with Hull City in the latter part of 2017, but by January 2018 he left due to family reasons and ended up back in the South-West with Forest Green Rovers. He now joins Bristol City to work directly with their first team and has said of his arrival:

"I'm delighted to join Bristol City, it's a fantastic club and the opportunity to coach here was something that instantly appealed to me. I've spent much of my coaching career in the top two divisions of English football, I know how fantastic the Championship is to compete in, and I'm extremely excited about my future with Bristol City. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Forest Green Rovers, they are a great club and I would like to thank the chairman, manager and staff for the opportunity, but moving to Ashton Gate was something I wanted to do. I am looking forward to working with the coaching staff at Bristol City and helping to develop the goalkeepers further. The club has a reputation for bringing players through the Academy system and I look forward to furthering their development."