Time to think.

My dad first took me to Somerton park in 1959, I don't know who we were playing or if we won lost or drew I was 6 years old and all I remember was the smell of beer and tobacco, my dad said I was in awe of all the people there and the colours of the players shirts and I just kept on to him to take me to every game which he did until I was old enough to take him, we went to the county together virtually until the day he passed away. it wasn't far to go as we lived in magor street so a quick hop over the ditch up hamden rd and in at the Cromwell end, after he got his bag of mints from the corner shop first, his favourite players were alf Sherwood and years later len hill the latter I must admit being a personal hero of mine, my dad loved the county and he passed that love onto me, I love going to games now with friends home and away but nothing will compare to standing on the open bank at Somerton with my dad and cheering on the county

Today being fathers day those memories are extra special, memories that are to numourous to mention here as I would have to write a book.

Do you have special memories of going to the county with loved ones who are no longer with us.

UTC.

Re: Time to think.

My dad only took me to County twice.My first game home to York in August '69 and away to Hereford in April '73.Dad worked for BR so we had a free pass to go on the train.His last couple of years,he was in a nursing home and I would go most nights to see him.I remember in 2013,I said that I wouldn't be in tomorrow as I was going to the match.He asked who we were playing and I replied Hereford away.Dad thought for a second and then said,"Hereford,they're a bit of a dirty side are they".This was a bittersweet moment for me as dad would sometimes forget what we talked about ten minutes before,but remembered back 40 years and what a bunch of cloggers they were.I have to say,I have disliked that team ever since,much more than any other team in my 50 years of watching us.

My wife used to go with her late father. She has passed on some memories to me. She has a Rushden Town cap, a Forest Green Rovers scarf amongst other things. Her most vivid memory seems to be a policeman ushering them onto the coach after a game at Bromsgrove whilst her Dad wanted to get over the road for a quick pint in a pub lol, and a visit to Bath to watch County v Bristol Rovers. Btw her Dad's brother still goes over the County.

My Dad took me to my first game in the 70's although I don't remember it at all. I distinctly remember from Somerton Park the smells of tobacco, beer, piss and Bovril although not sure from which area of the ground each of those came from :shock:

We used to do the social side and then moved (maybe it was condemned?). We were then on the terrace on the opposite side (forget the name) but I liked the fact you could change ends at half time by nipping behind the main stand!

llanwern exile wrote:My dad first took me to Somerton park in 1959, I don't know who we were playing or if we won lost or drew I was 6 years old and all I remember was the smell of beer and tobacco, my dad said I was in awe of all the people there and the colours of the players shirts and I just kept on to him to take me to every game which he did until I was old enough to take him, we went to the county together virtually until the day he passed away. it wasn't far to go as we lived in magor street so a quick hop over the ditch up hamden rd and in at the Cromwell end, after he got his bag of mints from the corner shop first, his favourite players were alf Sherwood and years later len hill the latter I must admit being a personal hero of mine, my dad loved the county and he passed that love onto me, I love going to games now with friends home and away but nothing will compare to standing on the open bank at Somerton with my dad and cheering on the county

Today being fathers day those memories are extra special, memories that are to numourous to mention here as I would have to write a book.

Do you have special memories of going to the county with loved ones who are no longer with us.

UTC.
Different club, different ground, but tobacco, that was always the evocative smell I remember. Going to watch the reserves with my Grandfather in 1962 it was there and that ingrained smell was still in the wood when we left Roker Park thirty-five years later. I loved that smell, it was the smell of memories.