Re: 2019-20 Squad so far.....

llanwern exile wrote:I think Demetriou has gone! why else would flynny get in 2 centre half's so quickly, as for Labadie, he hasn't been the same since his injury and very much doubt he will be again so not fussed wether he stays or goes, I think flynny can find better.
Obviously we lost Franks so need one centre half anyway. If he wants to play 3 at the back then maybe that could explain the signings. I recall a few them said they could play here or there so I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment as to which positions we have covered and which ones we don't. I guess we'll find out in the next few days as I think they start training Wednesday or Thursday this week?

If we want to play 3 at the back we've currently got Howkins, Ekpiteta, Stojsavljevic and O'Brien, +Bennett for cover. 4 CBs plus one as cover. (4+1)

Last season we had Franks, O'Brien, Demetriou +Bennett and Pipe for cover (3+2) and Poole came in for half a season (which happened before Franks had to retire, suggesting the revised plan with some of the cup run money confirmed was to have 4+2 CBs).

This doesn't entirely rule out us getting one more CB in, though it does assume all the signings are intended to play as CBs rather than elsewhere.

NB O'Brien is suspended for the opener, but that's only one game. The loss of five players (Day, Butler, Demetriou, Poole and Franks) who appeared in 190 games between them is a far bigger deal in the bigger picture.

SJG99 wrote:The loss of five players (Day, Butler, Demetriou, Poole and Franks) who appeared in 190 games between them is a far bigger deal in the bigger picture.

That is the only real point. If the replacements for those five are of a higher calibre we will be going forward. If the replacements are on a par we will have stood still, if they are not as good we will have gone backwards.

We will know by the end of October.

UPDATED to include the two year contract signed by Joss Labadie:

1 Tom KING (GK)

2 D..Scott BENNETT
3 D..Daniel LEADBITTER
4 D..Jay FOULSTON
5 D..Kyle HOWKINS
6 D..Lazar STOJSAVLJEVIC
7 D..Mark O'BRIEN
8 D..Marvel EKPITETA
9 M..Josh SHEEHAN
10 M..Joss LABADIE
11 M..Keanu MARSH-BROWN
12 M..Lewis COLLINS
13 M..Matt DOLAN
14 M..Robbie WILLMOTT
15 S..Adebayo AZEEZ
16 S..Corey WHITELEY
17 S..Jamille MATT
18 S..Mamadou TOURAY
19 S..Padraig AMOND
20 Nick TOWNSEND (GK)
21 --Loan No.1--
22 --Loan No.2--
23 --Loan No.3--
24 --Loan No.4--
25 --Loan No.5--

Waiting on:
1 Mickey DEMETRIOU

Out on Loan:
Last edited by newgroundrodney on July 3rd, 2019, 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SJG99 wrote:If we want to play 3 at the back we've currently got Howkins, Ekpiteta, Stojsavljevic and O'Brien, +Bennett for cover. 4 CBs plus one as cover. (4+1)

Last season we had Franks, O'Brien, Demetriou +Bennett and Pipe for cover (3+2) and Poole came in for half a season (which happened before Franks had to retire, suggesting the revised plan with some of the cup run money confirmed was to have 4+2 CBs).

This doesn't entirely rule out us getting one more CB in, though it does assume all the signings are intended to play as CBs rather than elsewhere.

NB O'Brien is suspended for the opener, but that's only one game. The loss of five players (Day, Butler, Demetriou, Poole and Franks) who appeared in 190 games between them is a far bigger deal in the bigger picture.
Notice no mention of Foulston? Is it to be assumed he will be sent out on loan again?

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
SJG99 wrote:If we want to play 3 at the back we've currently got Howkins, Ekpiteta, Stojsavljevic and O'Brien, +Bennett for cover. 4 CBs plus one as cover. (4+1)

Notice no mention of Foulston? Is it to be assumed he will be sent out on loan again?
No idea, but I'll give the kids consideration as first teamers when Flynn does.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:

NB O'Brien is suspended for the opener, but that's only one game. The loss of five players (Day, Butler, Demetriou, Poole and Franks) who appeared in 190 games between them is a far bigger deal in the big.

No.4 on NGR's squad list.

Cornish Exile wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:

NB O'Brien is suspended for the opener, but that's only one game. The loss of five players (Day, Butler, Demetriou, Poole and Franks) who appeared in 190 games between them is a far bigger deal in the big.

No.4 on NGR's squad list.
Yes, realise he is on NGRs list. I was questioning SJG99s summation of the CBs situation, to which he has given his reply.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Noticed that Owura Edwards as well as Lewis Collins has been offered a professional contract? Should he also be seen as a Ist team squad member?
...what position does he play, ans has he actually signed? If so, I will amend my list, though strictly speaking our squad would be oversubscribed according to the numbers I originally felt we needed, at least until some go out on loan.