Re: News at 4:30

All these two year deals mean we will come unstuck on a few.It shows what the club are up against when a player from National South has to take a pay cut to come here.All the extra fans at Mansfield and Wembley need to be encouraged by the regulars to come more often.Only then can we hope to compete with a better budget.

Ebbsfleet are in the National League, not the National South. Hope we haven't paid that much for his as Ebbsfleet were offering all of their players on a free up until the end of May. He looks like he's got a bit of pace and can score from range so hopefully can be a decent addition.

The gap between clubs like ebbsfleet and clubs like ours is basically nothing at all, he'll easily make the step up ability wise because there is no gap at all. Just a question of personality and attitude and flynny has been a very good judge of that.

Just don't understand why we keep doing 2 year deals ..non league 28 year old and a fee ?? Cant we do a years contract with options of a another year ? Then after a few months if we think they are good enough then we can have enhance contract s talks .heard we have a bigger budget by a director of the cub plus money s from cup and play offs last season .its a massive gamble we dont need to take . Tbh there are loads of players available experienced ones and out of contract ones .who iam sure wd take a years deal .give them a little more on 1 year dear instead of 2 year one saving money in long run .no brainer

owlsabout wrote:Just don't understand why we keep doing 2 year deals ..non league 28 year old and a fee ?? Cant we do a years contract with options of a another year ? Then after a few months if we think they are good enough then we can have enhance contract s talks .heard we have a bigger budget by a director of the cub plus money s from cup and play offs last season .its a massive gamble we dont need to take . Tbh there are loads of players available experienced ones and out of contract ones .who iam sure wd take a years deal .give them a little more on 1 year dear instead of 2 year one saving money in long run .no brainer
I appreciate that because of your background you have an in depth knowledge that most people on this board lack and certainly a knowledge I don't have. However my view is that you just don't know whether a player will make the grade when they step up a grade. If he can step up then having him on a two year deal may mean not losing a goalscorer for nothing. And in addition the two year contract's stability might mean his wages are less per annum than they otherwise would be.

Where I do agree with you is that two year deals come with risks and we do seem to be giving out a lot of them.

The thing with 2 year deals is that if the player does exceptionally well in the first year you can get a transfer fee for them, and if they do very badly at this level there are enough other clubs with similar budgets who'll take them off your hands.

Players in their last year will usually take playing elsewhere on loan over taking a wage when they have nothing to go to the season after.

It's rare we'll be stuck paying wages on someone who can't get a deal anywhere else - as we proved by shifting on entire squads in 2014, 2015 etc.

Two year deals also give the player more stability and it's an incentive to better players to come to us where in some areas (facilities etc) we might not be up to the standard of our rivals.

Also, If the current relative success with the likes of Day, Demetriou, Butler having been around for 2-3 years doesn't show the benefits of continuity, I don't know what will.