Re: News at 4:30

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Cornish Exile wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:Last season's National League 12th placed Bromley, are no way even close to comparable over a season to League Two's 12th placed Crewe Alexandra.
The gulf is considerable in my view.
Surely what we should be assessing is the quality of players and whether the better players in the National League would make it in the League.
To a degree that's the point that is being made. The difference between league 2 and the National league is marginal.

But the difference between Tiger Woods at his best and the club pro at Pontypool is marginal. Faced with a six foot put Tiger Woods will sink it nine times in ten, the club pro just eight. Faced with a bunker shot Tiger gets out ten out of ten, the club pro just nine. And so on. Tiger goes around in 68 the club pro in 74.

The same with footballers. A prolific scorer at Conference level can't produce the same consistency at League 2 level. O'Connor?Jolly?

Some can step up many can't. And the truth is until you try you just don't know.

The only striker we brought in of late who produced at our current level previously was Amond. With him it was a fair bet he would continue to produce. My view is that of course we need to take the chance with players up from non league but not every or even the majority of signings should be coming from an untried level.
Often it's not the difference between their good games that is noticeable its the difference between their bad games!

Bush wrote:
Countymadbell wrote:Is there really that much of a difference in standard from top non league to league 2...... i think not
No there’s not. But there is a huge gap from the conference and a team that sees itself as a league two promotion challenging team.
Tranmere, and Bristol Rovers both went straight through League 2 following promotion from the National League in the last 4 years alone, and Lincoln didn't exactly hang around either. The gap between the top of non-league and the top of League 2 can't be that vast.

njbh86 wrote:
Bush wrote:
Countymadbell wrote:Is there really that much of a difference in standard from top non league to league 2...... i think not
No there’s not. But there is a huge gap from the conference and a team that sees itself as a league two promotion challenging team.
Tranmere, and Bristol Rovers both went straight through League 2 following promotion from the National League in the last 4 years alone, and Lincoln didn't exactly hang around either. The gap between the top of non-league and the top of League 2 can't be that vast.
The question would be how many of the players made the journey?

Stan A. Einstein wrote: That's perfectly valid. Whether it makes Bush's comments bizarre is perhaps not proven. But that's not the issue I was raising. We all have opinions. If we back up those opinions with argument then arguments can be challenged. But you can't debate a bare assertion.

Tell me if you think I'm wrong. But I find a reasoned argument I disagree with far more interesting that a suggestion I agree with but which merely reaches a conclusion without any thought.
One of the occasions I'm in complete agreement.

(ie non-bizarre comment about bizarre comment comment). :o

Bush wrote:Feels like the lemar Reynolds deal all over again. Head scratcher. Good luck to the lad I hope it works out well for him and be a nice story unfortunately I could see him returning to non league by xmas. Personally hope signings like this don't block the progress of Tourey and Collins.
Was a few weeks out.

rncfc wrote:The gap between clubs like ebbsfleet and clubs like ours is basically nothing at all, he'll easily make the step up ability wise because there is no gap at all. Just a question of personality and attitude and flynny has been a very good judge of that.
Where are Ebbsfleet now.
No gap at all etc etc

rncfc wrote:
Bush wrote:Feels like the lemar Reynolds deal all over again. Head scratcher. Good luck to the lad I hope it works out well for him and be a nice story unfortunately I could see him returning to non league by xmas. Personally hope signings like this don't block the progress of Tourey and Collins.
What a bizarre comment.
Clearly wasn't bizarre at all then