Strengthen MIDFIELD

The signings thus far have been positive and proactive with the two centre backs young, big, physical and mobile defenders, good experienced right back from Bristol Rovers, with O'Brien's experience along with two established keepers if Demetriou does sign which is unlikely but you never know in football our defence will be as strong as ever.
Happy with the strike force Amond and Matt are proven and will be even better next season. Touray could be a big asset with more experience.

Midfield again could be our nemesis pleased with Bennett, Sheehan underwhelmed with Dolan, a big bonus if Labadie signs.

We need four quality midfielders preferably two defensively minded and the others attacking who can score. The last number of seasons our defenders have outscored the midfield this must change. Our tracking back to cover and help out the defence has been a job for our two front men ie. Podge and Matt in many games who have been overworking to compensate for our slow, lethargic midfield defensive response. Both should be further up the pitch ready for counterattacking opportunities.
Without Butlers high performance engine and Poole's defensive nous it is crucial our cracks in midfield are filled and not papered over.
In the moulds of Byrne and a Lee Evans would be the answer. Certainly players with those characteristics 2 preferably signed and the others on loan the mix must be right if auto promotion is possible. The teams that do achieve this generally have no weaknesses in this area and when we have lost key games last season many were down to being overrun and exposed through the middle.
Let us see what the next few signings bring and if the strengthening is done it will pay dividends in other areas of the pitch.

More goals for less against.

Re: Strengthen MIDFIELD

I suspect that you may have part of your answer tomorrow. 1 July and that is when the new contract dates start. On another thread willthiswork has said that there will be two out and two in with further loanees to follow. I hope that Labs and Mickey D are not the two to go as that will reduce our defensive effectiveness significantly. MF knows what he is doing so if those two go I just hope that their replacements are of the same quality.

I do agree though, we do need further quality midfielders at the club. You never know, with the little cash that we have, we may even buy a quality player. I hope so.

if my ankles would allow me and I was 20 years younger, i would in a heartbeat..Id add some 'steel ' to midfield.....#dirtygit...(kick anything to get the ball, even my own team mates if I had too - I would be booked more than Labadie if I played now) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sadly the only steel I can offer now is the pins in my ankles :lol:

somerton moss wrote:Great news about Labadie took a pay cut with other clubs interested show he is committed to the cause. Leads from the front and would make him captain this season.
3 more midfielders with quality needed imho.
Can't imagine we have room in the budget for 3 more midfielders as we have Sheehan, Bennett, Dolan and Labadie now signed, the only one missing from last season is Bakinson.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Corpaboy wrote:Now THAT is strengthening the midfield !
Great business if Labs can stay fit and keep his discipline
UTC
How is signing a player we had last season strengthening our midfield?
Because we only had him for part of last season , and a lot of that time he wasn't fit !
Hence my "if Labs can stay fit and keep his discipline" , Brendan

Corpaboy wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Corpaboy wrote:Now THAT is strengthening the midfield !
Great business if Labs can stay fit and keep his discipline
UTC
Because we only had him for part of last season , and a lot of that time he wasn't fit !
19, 23, 13. Total appearances per season since joining County. The best predictor of the future is the past. Further notwithstanding medical techniques improve cruciate ligaments once gone are seldom repaired fully. For you and me yes but not for a professional footballer.

I would take the risk, but I wouldn't have offered a two year contract.

I'm less concerned about his discipline. He gets booked pretty much every other game but seldom if ever sent off. He knows exactly what he's doing and the totting bans allow for injury recovery.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Corpaboy wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
19, 23, 13. Total appearances per season since joining County. The best predictor of the future is the past. Further notwithstanding medical techniques improve cruciate ligaments once gone are seldom repaired fully. For you and me yes but not for a professional footballer.

I'm less concerned about his discipline. He gets booked pretty much every other game but seldom if ever sent off. He knows exactly what he's doing and the totting bans allow for injury recovery.

You’ve got your figures wrong Brendan. He’s made the following appearances for us:-

16/17 - 22
17/18 - 31
18/19 - 21 (signed end of October)

Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

You’ve got your figures wrong Brendan. He’s made the following appearances for us:-

16/17 - 22
17/18 - 31
18/19 - 21 (signed end of October)
I was referring to league games. However the point remains has appeared in half our game s or less in three seasons.

That is not to doubt his ability and as I said I would re-sign him. I would not have taken the chance of a two year contract. Other opinions are available.