Re: Strengthen MIDFIELD

llanwern exile wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
llanwern exile wrote:Our midfield don't chip in with enough goals! so for me 2 10/15 goals a season midfielders is a must if we aim to be challenging for promotion, we can't expect to be up there at the end of the season if we are only relying on podge & matt to get the goals for us.

We were last season
Yes we were! in a poor league, this year you have the likes of Bradford, Mansfield, Plymouth and Salford throwing money around like its going out of fashion, and to a lesser extent so are Scunthorpe, Grimsby crewe, and Exeter, so its going to be a hell of a lot harder for us to achieve what we did last season.
Spending money doesn't guarantee success at this level - with the knowledge that anyone THAT good will be playing for clubs with even more money higher up the EFL, the possibility anyone too good will be sold mid-season, and the number of loanees from better clubs, it's much easier for teams with smaller budgets to compete with bigger spenders.

SJG99 wrote:

Spending money doesn't guarantee success...............................

No it doesn't.

But it helps. And here's the awful thing, for me this 'buy success' culture is damaging as these days it's impossible to develop a team over a few seasons. If you look at Ashurst's success in the late 1970's and early 1980's was built over five years. From struggling Division 4 in 1978 to challenging Division 3 in 1983.

That can't happen now. How many players stay over three years let alone five? Let's split the difference four years 8 August 2015

Day
Barrow
Hayden
Feely
Holmes
Rodman
Klukovski
Byrne
Elito
Boden
John-Lewis

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
SJG99 wrote:

Spending money doesn't guarantee success...............................

No it doesn't.

But it helps. And here's the awful thing, for me this 'buy success' culture is damaging as these days it's impossible to develop a team over a few seasons. If you look at Ashurst's success in the late 1970's and early 1980's was built over five years. From struggling Division 4 in 1978 to challenging Division 3 in 1983.

That can't happen now. How many players stay over three years let alone five? Let's split the difference four years 8 August 2015

Day
Barrow
Hayden
Feely
Holmes
Rodman
Klukovski
Byrne
Elito
Boden
John-Lewis
Holmes/ Rodman/ Byrne/Elito & John Lewis all thought they were too good for little old County.

Apart from Byrne and possibly Rodman who were the best 2 the rest have gone tumbling backwards.
perhaps it was just the money

I did like Scott Barrow though 100% effort every game

Hayden & Klukowski were dire.

We've been more successful in the past 2½ seasons keeping a core of players together than we ever were turning over an entire squad every season in the years before that. That's been more important than the amount of money we've spent.

Whilst it's the key determinant in the Premier League, the wages/success correlation drops off significantly the lower down the leagues you go.

excessbee wrote:Hayden was just a raw youngster who was a bit of a desperation signing. Bit unfair to consider him as a regular.
Only point I was trying to make was that not one of our starting line up for the season opener at Cambridge is still with the club nor incidentally are any of the sub's or the manager.

We lost 3-0.

excessbee wrote:How many of those would you want to be stuck with for four years? I'd say just two.
3 for certain

Day/ Feeley & Byrne

Rated Rodman & Scott also

Scott was a younger Pipey less the body builder in all out effort.

excessbee wrote:Hayden was just a raw youngster who was a bit of a desperation signing. Bit unfair to consider him as a regular.
He has signed a one year with option for Carlisle.He has spent all this time on loan at Connie N and third level on loan from Wolves.Bit of a step up,will be interesting to see if he has improved.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
excessbee wrote:How many of those would you want to be stuck with for four years? I'd say just two.
3 for certain

Day/ Feeley & Byrne

Scott Barrow was fecking awful. its only because he signed autographs and waved at fans that he got rated. Could lace Butler's boots and rightly ended up in non league after us.

Bush wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
3 for certain

Day/ Feeley & Byrne

Scott Barrow was fecking awful. its only because he signed autographs and waved at fans that he got rated. Could lace Butler's boots and rightly ended up in non league after us.
Poor fella ended up as Captain of National League Gateshead last season
If you had your way Bush he would be a farmer by now as everybody is to you below Division 2.
You do make me laugh.

Bush wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
3 for certain

Day/ Feeley & Byrne

My description of him would be “ workmanlike “ you certainly couldn’t fault him for effort though.

How can anyone rate Scott barrow after witnessing dan butler play for the club. Barrow was useless which is why he was dropped like a stone from this club and hasn’t played league football since. Ran around a lot is the classic British football fan attributes they want in a player. Never mind the fact he couldn’t tackle or cross a ball!

Bush wrote:How can anyone rate Scott barrow after witnessing dan butler play for the club. Barrow was useless which is why he was dropped like a stone from this club and hasn’t played league football since. Ran around a lot is the classic British football fan attributes they want in a player. Never mind the fact he couldn’t tackle or cross a ball!
You really do make me laugh.
Dan was exceptional at our level that why he has moved onto better things.
Scott was not dropped like a stone in fact I believe it was quite a surprise when he was released.
Anybody playing below league 2 is useless in your eyes.
Despite the fact that probably every club next down to us will have a player who can get in our squad no probs.
Farmers the lot of them :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ps where you been hiding for the last 12 months?