Re: Foulston

We do. We send young players to lower leagues where they can play 'proper' football to develop their skills, game awareness and fitness. They are monitored by our staff who report back on progress - or otherwise - which informs the manager when they may be ready to progress.

Or do you think "giving them a chance" should mean automatic places in a first team League game irrespective of whether they have been tried in similar competitive situations or not?

I think the manager assumed MD would leave, hence, the number of defensive signings made. This being so its in the best interest for the youngster to play football, hopefully he will get plenty of minutes, develop and save us money in the future.

rncfc wrote:
County ranger wrote:When they are good enough
Which will be never unless they're given a chance in a demanding environment.
Surely you have to be good enough to get a chance in a demanding environment. I don’t get the fascination with thinking all our youth players will make it - few do in reality.

He's getting regular games, which he won't here. No point in him sitting on the bench for 5 minutes once a month. It's very rare for a club in the fourth tier to regularly produce talent that breaks into the first team without heavy investment.

Although, if it was me, I'd rather a 6 month loan. At least then we can evaluate how he's done over the first half and reassess what he needs next. But Flynny knows better than me.

County ranger wrote:
rncfc wrote:
County ranger wrote:When they are good enough
Which will be never unless they're given a chance in a demanding environment.
Surely you have to be good enough to get a chance in a demanding environment. I don’t get the fascination with thinking all our youth players will make it - few do in reality.
I just feel quite strongly that clubs like us should be exposing their best prospects to first team football to accelerate their progress. If they don't improve after 15-20 first team games then fair enough, ship them out.

If they improve in the football league rather than in non league they become more valuable, more quickly. If they're going to fulfil their potential they need a chance!

It's all well and good at the moment whilst we've got a bit of cup cash behind us, but when that dries up we're back to crossing our fingers that our youngsters are snapped up by bigger fish. Hard to see where the next one is coming from at the moment.

Countymadbell wrote:So why wasn't Regan Poole shipped out at 16, sorry he was playing in our 1st where man united spotted him.
Well, you've answered your own question. Because he demonstrated the ability to hold down a place in the team. It wasn't just that he was a youngster. I think, and hope, the one best equipped at the moment is Touray. Perhaps the manager thinks likewise.