Re: Clubs In Trouble

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:

We could be accused of that mind with Les getting us back in FL
I tend to disagree with this and think it is a misconception amongst other supporters too. There was more than a fair chance that we would have got back without Les. If you recall Les joined long after Justin had started rebuilding the squad and whilst we were grateful , I do not think we can be compared to Salford or FGR
When Justin Edinburgh wanted money to pay wages for a signing he would go over to see Les Scadding. After Les had had a few they would have a few games of snooker. Which Les won. Hey presto the money was available.

Lotto Les thought Justin was his mate. And felt betrayed when Justin left. Football is a ruthless world and a fool and his money and so on.

Let's not rewrite history eh?
You were there at the games?

Or is that just hearsay and a re-writing of fact?

IMB wrote:

You were there at the games?

Or is that just hearsay and a re-writing of fact?
Hearsay is with respect to evidence given in Court of which the witness has only second hand knowledge,

My information comes independently from two sources. One a former Argus journalist one a former Newport County AFC director.

Edit.

The fact that Les Scadding felt betrayed by Justin Edinburgh comes from an interview I heard with Les Scadding on Radio Wales.

I personally don't blame Edinburgh. If Scadding was so stupid as to be taken in he only has himself to blame. My point remains that football fans in general see the fault in others but excuse it in their own team.
Last edited by Stan A. Einstein on July 19th, 2019, 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Happy to stand corrected but I believe Les agreed to pay £50K to Peterborough for Joe without even consulting JE who at the time couldn't believe it.
what a great £50K purchase albeit Les would not of realised.
Also the Legend named Christian Jolly was purchased outright from Les.

Few rich obligarchs who came to grief include the owners of Darlington (superb stadium), Rushden (likewise) and Gretna who had an unbelievable few years with gates way way below County.

Well, nobody would disagree that Les put his hand in his pocket to benefit the club, but it's nothing like the Bury situation, where the previous chairman, it seems, took out loans to finance the club which seemed to have come to light after the current chap had taken on the role. As I said, not the sharpest knife in the box. At least repayment of our debt to Les was negotiated sensibly and in an open manner when the trust stepped in and we have maintained our league status through the efforts of the team, management and supporters - plus the luck of the Cup.

excessbee wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
excessbee wrote: At least repayment of our debt to Les was negotiated sensibly and in an open manner.........................
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A fixed amount monthly over a fixed period of time was it not?
Les Scadding chose to become chairman of Newport County. He sat in the directors box. He sat in the royal box at Wembley. He enjoyed the adoration of the fans. Why should the fans have to repay loans? If I blow my money at the bookies can I ask for it back?

And I am informed that Lotto was quite happy to sell at a lower price until for unknown reasons we decided to offer more.

As for being open. With the Cup runs, transfer payments and so on, we should have been able to pay Les off. Did we?

I genuinely don't know. But you think that's open governance?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
excessbee wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A fixed amount monthly over a fixed period of time was it not?
Les Scadding chose to become chairman of Newport County. He sat in the directors box. He sat in the royal box at Wembley. He enjoyed the adoration of the fans. Why should the fans have to repay loans? If I blow my money at the bookies can I ask for it back?

And I am informed that Lotto was quite happy to sell at a lower price until for unknown reasons we decided to offer more.

As for being open. With the Cup runs, transfer payments and so on, we should have been able to pay Les off. Did we?

I genuinely don't know. But you think that's open governance?

He didn’t ‘sell’ the club to us at all. He gave his shares and wanted just the £300k in loans back, (you usually pay loans back see) interest free over 10 years. He never requested the other £1m+ he put into the County.

Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

He didn’t ‘sell’ the club to us at all. He gave his shares and wanted just the £300k in loans back, (you usually pay loans back see) interest free over 10 years. He never requested the other £1m+ he put into the County.
You and I have no idea how much Lotto put into the club or on what basis.

Perhaps Chris Blight, or Howard Greenhaf or the estate of Justin Edinburgh should pay the loans back. (You usually don't pay back loans taken out by other people see.)

8) depleted and deleted. My apologies of to Excessbee for inadvertently mistakenly quoting him.

And to be clear, I think that the only person who should pick up the tab for Les Scadding's spending is Les Scadding. Messrs Blight, Greenhaf and Edinburgh may have exploited Lotto Les but I can't feel much sympathy for anyone who is a multimillionaire.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

You and I have no idea how much Lotto put into the club or on what basis.

Perhaps Chris Blight, or Howard Greenhaf or the estate of Justin Edinburgh should pay the loans back. (You usually don't pay back loans taken out by other people see.)
Yes we do, you just have to be intelligent enough to read the Annual Statements!

Surely it must be within the wit of the football authorities to make the penalties for running a club unsustainably actually stick? How long is it since we were promised "never again" when Leicester ran away from enormous debts?

Twelve points is ridiculous for Bury. It should have been a penalty big enough to make it impossible from the outset to avoid relegation this season. Or how about a rolling penalty where you also start each of the next two or three seasons on a minus figure?

It has major knock-ons for League Two as well. Plymouth snapped up Bury's management team and four players for this season and presumably for peanuts as Bury wouldn't have been able to keep paying them.

I'm nuts about the Australian Rugby League and they absolutely hammered Melbourne Storm a few years ago when they were caught running two sets of books and paying players under the table. Stripped them of all the honours they had won while they were doing this and, more to the point, decreed that they wouldn't accrue any points in a season that was already under way.