Clubs In Trouble

Bury deducted 12 points today and start next season on -12

Bolton Wanderers . Bolton doubtful for start of season, says PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor. This comes after the club's proposed friendly against Chester on Friday was cancelled, with the players refusing to play due to an ongoing dispute over unpaid wages.

Members of the Bolton squad claim they and the club's coaching staff had not been paid for 20 weeks, while they also returned for pre-season to find their training facilities locked up.

The club has struggled with financial difficulties in recent seasons and entered administration in May after a takeover bid by former Watford chairman Laurence Bassini collapsed.

Not looking good for either clubs...Bury have very few players on their books and Bolton's wont play ( I dont blame them if they arent being paid)

Re: Clubs In Trouble

Sad, just so bloody sad. There is one group of people that must take massive responsibility for this as well as the owners of Bury and Bolton for financial mismanagement. Agents. They are leeches in most cases, sucking money out of the game and putting nothing back.

Players must understand that there is not a bottomless pit of money out there whatever their agents are saying, 'I can get you a better deal etc'. Bull.......

I suppose it had to happen that clubs would go to the wall before reason would take hold. The sooner football gets a grip on bloody agents the better as far as I am concerned. Financial fair play rules are a good start. If you don't believe, look at the reports about how much money Premier clubs spent on agents over the last few years. Absolutely abhorrent.

I just hope the long suffering fans of both clubs can find a solution.

pembsexile wrote:Sad, just so bloody sad. There is one group of people that must take massive responsibility for this as well as the owners of Bury and Bolton for financial mismanagement. Agents. They are leeches in most cases, sucking money out of the game and putting nothing back.

Players must understand that there is not a bottomless pit of money out there whatever their agents are saying, 'I can get you a better deal etc'. Bull.......

I suppose it had to happen that clubs would go to the wall before reason would take hold. The sooner football gets a grip on bloody agents the better as far as I am concerned. Financial fair play rules are a good start. If you don't believe, look at the reports about how much money Premier clubs spent on agents over the last few years. Absolutely abhorrent.

I just hope the long suffering fans of both clubs can find a solution.

Can’t really blame the agents, they ask for ‘x’ amount, if clubs are stupid enough to pay more than they can afford then the blame lies solely with the owners.

I genuinely feel sorry for the fans but if clubs can't live within their means then why shouldn't they be allowed to go to the wall? If you spend more than you make to such a degree that you go into administration then I think it's ultimately cheating.

If Bury or Bolton or anyone has to go bust and start again at the bottom of the pyramid and work their way up again then why not? We did it.

Statement from Bury's chairman, the first draft of which I can only imagine was written in crayon or excrement. Imagine being the comms / media person at Bury and being forced to publish that sort of semi-literate dross on your website.

As for Bolton, I'd say it's 50-50 that they'll be a going concern when the season starts. But even if they do make it, I think we can safely predict two of the teams relegated from Div 3 next season.

Maybe their media person is one of those who has lost his/her job, or not been paid for the past three months. He doesn't sound like the sharpest knife in the box. They still have a winding up petition pending for the end of the month, but I guess if HMRC have signed up to the CVA arrangement then that may not be pursued. Is the EFL now likely to impose a bond before allowing them to start the season? Wrexham needed to stump up £250k in the conference quite a few years ago to cover compensation to clubs if they failed to complete their fixtures. If the EFL has such a sanction it will be set at a much higher figure which is surely beyond their means.

We are told that most clubs, at our level run at a loss. Which is true. However the banks provide overdrafts. The banks don't do this out of kindness but rather to 'juice' the clubs with interest payments. Every so often the clubs have a Cup run and pay off the debts. Then they start the process all over again.

Of course the sensible thing to do would be for the clubs to cooperate with one another. Refuse en masse to pay agents and players more than they/we can afford.

However there are too many vested interests, making a packet. Who pays for all this? The biggest idiots in town. The fans. The players, managers, agents, banks, all drive off into the sunset. Safe in the knowledge that their cars and houses are paid for by idiots who will pay £50 for an ill-fitting cheap nylon monstrosity that will be the new season's kit.

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Countymadbell wrote:How are teams like salford allowed to buy promotion this season on their gates. Just not fair to teams that abide by the laws. Ain't that right bury.

We could be accused of that mind with Les getting us back in FL
There's no could about it. I confess that I am a hypocrite in that I took it with a smile. But I am not so big a hypocrite, or perhaps not so stupid as to think I could get away with it, than to accept that our capacity for knocking the likes of Salford, Forest Green or Crawley, whilst ignoring our own recent past is a tad embarrassing.

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Countymadbell wrote:How are teams like salford allowed to buy promotion this season on their gates. Just not fair to teams that abide by the laws. Ain't that right bury.

I tend to disagree with this and think it is a misconception amongst other supporters too. There was more than a fair chance that we would have got back without Les. If you recall Les joined long after Justin had started rebuilding the squad and whilst we were grateful , I do not think we can be compared to Salford or FGR

Alan G Bryant wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:

I tend to disagree with this and think it is a misconception amongst other supporters too. There was more than a fair chance that we would have got back without Les. If you recall Les joined long after Justin had started rebuilding the squad and whilst we were grateful , I do not think we can be compared to Salford or FGR
When Justin Edinburgh wanted money to pay wages for a signing he would go over to see Les Scadding. After Les had had a few they would have a few games of snooker. Which Les won. Hey presto the money was available.

Lotto Les thought Justin was his mate. And felt betrayed when Justin left. Football is a ruthless world and a fool and his money and so on.

Let's not rewrite history eh?