Re: Clubs In Trouble

It only says.... to be admitted further down the Pyramid. I'd read that as anywhere outside the EFL. It would make no sense to expel them from League One then give them a slot in League Two. Surely if they wanted to do that they would just dock three points for each game missed and bring about the inevitable relegation. Shouldn't think the Conference would have them either.

You're right, I missed the "not" in "it is unknown what the procedure would be if Bury do not apply to re-join the competition for next season and full details on that are likely to follow at a later date".

It still surprises me that there seems to be a mechanism for them to reapply. That said, presumably the current company would have ceased to exist long before the end of the season.

JonD wrote:According to my sources (hark at me!) his reluctance to sell the club stems from concern that there will then be scrutiny of some financial transactions that may (or may not) have benefitted his son to the detriment of Bury FC.

It is a crying shame that this is allowed to happen . When you consider how long it took for our board members to pass their fit and proper person test, how was this man allowed to buy Bury for a £1 within a week. The EFL are culpable in this.

I am just glad that Les gifted the club to us.

Alan G Bryant wrote:
JonD wrote:According to my sources (hark at me!) his reluctance to sell the club stems from concern that there will then be scrutiny of some financial transactions that may (or may not) have benefitted his son to the detriment of Bury FC.

It is a crying shame that this is allowed to happen.........
I agree.They should never have been allowed to get as far as being awarded a place in League One. I would like to see a points deduction immediately a club fails to pay wages on time (players or staff). Maybe one point on the first occasion, two for a second month and so on. If they make up the backlog, it reverts to one point if they renege again. Bury could have sold a couple of high earners in January to avoid laying off staff in March. The catch would have been that promotion would probably have to be set aside. Sure the EFL 'allowed it to happen' but Bury kept the momentum going, and enjoyed every minute of it.

Hmm! But if he doesn't sell the club then it will go under and the receiver will scrutinise the club's transactions in winding up the business anyway.

Actually, that raises another point. With no income and a CVA to service, how are they still solvent?

NearlyDead wrote:
Hmm! But if he doesn't sell the club then it will go under and the receiver will scrutinise the club's transactions in winding up the business anyway.

Actually, that raises another point. With no income and a CVA to service, how are they still solvent?
Yeah, it all feels a bit futile.

He's got directors loans too. So he'd more than likely forfeit those.

Justanordinaryfan wrote:Found it absolutely cringeworthy the actions of the former woman director yesterday - chaining herself to the ground and pleading the big premier clubs to help !
I feel for their fans but no one else - they got promoted at our (and other clubs) expenses on a complete lie.
There is a bit of a story behind her being a (former) director. I think it was the previous chairman to the incumbent SD2 (i.e. SD1, who appears to be the initial instigator of the mess Bury find themselves in) who wanted to do something against the will of the supporters/Forever Bury (some sort of supporters' trust arrangement), who were urging shareholders to vote against those proposals. Quite acrimonious at the time (and obviously still is with SD2 in charge). Discussions between the Bury FC board and Forever Bury led to the latter dropping their objections in return for a seat on the board. With her and her father having long associations with the club, and she prominent within Forever Bury, she became the latter's nominee and was appointed to the FC's board as some sort of a "communications officer" between the board and the supporters.

All the foregoing is publicly available info.

From here, however, my info is third hand, not double checked, and so possibly not correct: it seems no-one from the supporters' side read the small print of the agreement, as the board appointment was a time-limited one. I'm not sure I find that entirely credible, but I haven't the time or inclination to check. Anyway, whatever the reason, about a year or so later she ceased to become a director.

So, given she, herself, has had a life-long association with the club as a supporter (and her father as a player from the 1930s), that she acted as a supporters' rep for a number of years, and that she had no real power to do anything whilst a member of the board, I don't begrudge her her actions yesterday, however futile, misguided, or cringeworthy they may be, since first and foremost she is a Bury supporter and that as a Bury supporter she is just desperate for the club to survive.