Re: Fraser Franks Testimonial

Exile 1976 wrote:It’s pre season, it’s simply about fitness, working on different things etc. Don’t look anything into any results, “far too inferior” ? after all we’ve drawn with Al Ahly and beaten Shrewsbury.
That said, the last time we beat W-S-M 8-1 was the ‘Great Escape’ season a couple of years back :shock: :lol:

I realise results mean nowt in pre season but its the manner of defeat and the dent to confidence a 9-3 stuffing can cause that can be worrying with only 1 week until the new season starts.
Even the very short clip showed our defence to be 'all over the place ' and Cardiff scored with ease

Lets hope we dont have another 'great escape season' then after the weston result as we were shite up to the last 8 weeks of that season and were only saved in the last minute :wink:

neilcork68 wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:It’s pre season, it’s simply about fitness, working on different things etc. Don’t look anything into any results, “far too inferior” ? after all we’ve drawn with Al Ahly and beaten Shrewsbury.
That said, the last time we beat W-S-M 8-1 was the ‘Great Escape’ season a couple of years back :shock: :lol:

I realise results mean nowt in pre season but its the manner of defeat and the dent to confidence a 9-3 stuffing can cause that can be worrying with only 1 week until the new season starts.
Even the very short clip showed our defence to be 'all over the place ' and Cardiff scored with ease

Lets hope we dont have another 'great escape season' then after the weston result as we were shite up to the last 8 weeks of that season and were only saved in the last minute :wink:

I’d be surprised if the players confidence are dented by a friendly defeat (albeit a heavy one) against a Championship side.
Saying that, I bet Huddersfield we’re full of confidence at the start of last season after winning their last 3 friendlies, against Lyon, Bologna and Leipzig ...but they didn’t win a league game until November and only registering two more league wins :shock: :shock: :wink: :lol:

DT1892 wrote:This conversation comes round every year. They mean absolutely **** all. We could be playing Barcelona or Newport Corries, it's all about fitness.
Agreed that they mean nothing, but I think it's poor to stick out a side of mainly trialists and youth team players in our only Home Friendly which has been widely publicised and is for Fraser Franks.

Ugo. wrote:
DT1892 wrote:This conversation comes round every year. They mean absolutely **** all. We could be playing Barcelona or Newport Corries, it's all about fitness.
Agreed that they mean nothing, but I think it's poor to stick out a side of mainly trialists and youth team players in our only Home Friendly which has been widely publicised and is for Fraser Franks.

I agree . A PR error from the club IMO after such a build up and for a decent cause

neilcork68 wrote:
Ugo. wrote:

I agree . A PR error from the club IMO after such a build up and for a decent cause
It's not a PR error by the club,it is a PR error by Flynny.He takes the plaudits when things go well.Tonight he got it completely wrong,the club don't pick the team.

The only consolation tonight was that Fraser benefitted from it.
It was a total waste of time for everyone especially for Chelsea u23’s as we provided absolutely no opposition, it was embarrassing. Nobody should take credit from that débacle and nobody resembled the ghost of a player that could challenge for a first team place, absolutely nobody. A few of the goals resembled the clip from the Cardiff game, a quiet stroll past a sedentary fullback before crossing for a tap in. If some of those recruits are reflecting our strength at the moment, that’s extremely worrying.

lowandhard wrote:The only consolation tonight was that Fraser benefitted from it.
It was a total waste of time for everyone especially for Chelsea u23’s as we provided absolutely no opposition, it was embarrassing. Nobody should take credit from that débacle and nobody resembled the ghost of a player that could challenge for a first team place, absolutely nobody. A few of the goals resembled the clip from the Cardiff game, a quiet stroll past a sedentary fullback before crossing for a tap in. If some of those recruits are reflecting our strength at the moment, that’s extremely worrying.

It was a friendly for crying out loud with trialists, youth and a couple of first teamers. Will be very surprised if even 4 of those on show tonight are in many League match day squads.

Bit disappointed not to see some regulars out there.

But it may be a good thing for the manager. Hopefully it means MF has clearer ideas, there are a few who surely can’t be considered for the squad after that poor effort.

I don’t think it’s a ‘disgrace’ or an insult to Fraser though, let’s all calm down. Fraser seems happy and can hopefully use the funds to push on with his new career, and we can start planning our XI for Mansfield.

landinho wrote:Bit disappointed not to see some regulars out there.

But it may be a good thing for the manager. Hopefully it means MF has clearer ideas, there are a few who surely can’t be considered for the squad after that poor effort.

I don’t think it’s a ‘disgrace’ or an insult to Fraser though, let’s all calm down. Fraser seems happy and can hopefully use the funds to push on with his new career, and we can start planning our XI for Mansfield.
Agree that it means Flynny will have a clearer idea : where we differ is that I couldn’t see any that could be considered after as you say “ that poor effort “. Doesn’t sound like the “behind closed doors” fixture was too encouraging either.

Agree the results have no impact. It's purely about fitness and looking at smaller combinations - does that centre half work with this one, are the RM and RB on the same wavelength etc. I'm sure the club and Flynny would have planned out pretty much all of the friendlies and what sort of side would be playing where. Inevitably it's a mixed bag with games so close together. Interesting for me that O'Brien hasn't played much when what I consider to be the strongest team has played. Whether that's a long term view or just thinking about his suspension. Be interesting to see what first 11 he settles on and what formation! Wouldn't fancy running around in this weather myself!

I suspect that the 9-3 result v Cardiff was as a result of both sides agreeing not to risk injuries by tackling each other. I have to say that by arranging the two games to clash Newport County managed to be both disrespectful to the paying fans and Fraser Franks. Another example of the club shooting themselves in the foot PR wise.

And before we get Loyalfoot Bryant and the Brown-Nosers reprising their only song 'You never say nuffing good' I have to say that I had commended the club on their treatment of Fraser in two previous posts.