Re: Season tickets

I emailed the club over a week ago and was told this:-
We haven’t set a date as of yet. Keep an eye on our website and social media channels for updates on this.
Having paid an extra £5 for secure delivery of the ticket (don't live near Newport and am usually only there on match days) I would expect it to be delivered in plenty of time before the first match and not to have to pick it up on match day, otherwise what's the point of imposing a delivery charge?

newgroundrodney wrote:I hope at some point we'll do away with the notion of replacing plastic cards every year. Just use one, keep it valid as long as it's paid for. Cancel it if it's not paid.
Won't work as the plastic card will be a prime advertising location and the club will probably want to change it every year to prevent counterfeiting too, digital or not.

I've had a plastic card ST for the past 5-ish seasons and it changes every year.

SJG99 wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:I hope at some point we'll do away with the notion of replacing plastic cards every year. Just use one, keep it valid as long as it's paid for. Cancel it if it's not paid.
Won't work as the plastic card will be a prime advertising location and the club will probably want to change it every year to prevent counterfeiting too, digital or not.

I've had a plastic card ST for the past 5-ish seasons and it changes every year.
Clubs are already doing it. Not all admittedly, but as with all things it develops. Only new first time applicants receive new cards, existing ST holders whose status is unchanged, keep the same card.

QPR of course, but Sheffield Wednesday and Bristol Rovers were two clubs chosen at random, both of which only issue new cards to NEW applicants. Existing ST holders have their Season Tickets loaded onto their existing cards. Thats just two I chose at random.
Bristol Rovers incidentally have a Zebra Finance arrangement in place if I read it correctly.
Continually re-issuing new plastic cards to use once will be a thing of the past.

Peterborough also + Shrewsbury Town will adopt the system next season.
Thats 4 clubs out of 4....early days as I say, but it'll come.

I wouldnt be surprised if County follow suit, although in our our case, the issue of our tenancy might make it 'easier' to continue as we are, but give it a few years and most clubs will no longer issue new cards routinely.
Less queuing, less waiting for collection dates, less postage, less plastic used.

I'm not saying I don't think it's a good idea to cut down on the plastic, I'm saying clubs will want to change the designs for purposes of advertising and security. To that end, recyclable paper tickets are actually more eco-friendly than reusable plastic.

But I'd actually think digital tickets with QR/barcodes are more likely to replace all of that, the problem of course being the lack of tech savvy amongst older customers.

I quite enjoy the fact that if you buy a "print at home" ticket you can use the barcode on the receipt to get into the ground without needing to print at all at the moment...

SJG99 wrote:I'm not saying I don't think it's a good idea to cut down on the plastic, I'm saying clubs will want to change the designs for purposes of advertising and security. To that end, recyclable paper tickets are actually more eco-friendly than reusable plastic.

Is that a fact, or just your opinion?

West Ham started reusing season ticket cards decades ago.

whoareya wrote:
SJG99 wrote:I'm not saying I don't think it's a good idea to cut down on the plastic, I'm saying clubs will want to change the designs for purposes of advertising and security. To that end, recyclable paper tickets are actually more eco-friendly than reusable plastic.

Is that a fact, or just your opinion?

West Ham started reusing season ticket cards decades ago.
Even multi-use plastic is still plastic. Paper is recyclable. Ergo, using loads of recycled paper annually (not that it would be) leaves little impact, plastic is still around for years.

As for West Ham, seems strange that they'd do that but be issuing new tickets to everyone this season:
https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... -questions

"How do I access London Stadium next season?
For the 2019/20 season, all Season Ticket Holders will be receiving a new Season Ticket access card"

Reused in 2018/19 though. https://www.whufc.com/tickets/2018-19-season-tickets

It appears they changed them to stop people moving around the stadium - https://www.claretandhugh.info/first-gl ... ket-cards/ which means either their cards or their stadium configuration was ridiculously useless anyway.