Re: Job Vacancy at NCAFC :

Elmo wrote:minimum wage for ppl 25+ is 8.21/hr other rates/age here
https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Which rather makes my point.

Were I to bring an action against Newport County AFC that pursuant to The Equality Act 2010, I had been unlawfully discriminated against on the grounds of my age, over 25 I would be successful. I don't even have to prove that I would have got the job, merely any construction of the advertisement would be that only people under a certain age can apply. The only defence would be to show that it is reasonable to refuse the job to anyone over 25.

Now I am not going to litigate. But I would hope two things. One that club officials have the good sense to amend the advertisement. Secondly that certain posters would cotton on to the fact, that those of us who are critical on occasions of the club do so because we want the club to do and be better.

County Exile wrote:The £7.22 calculation is based on 40 hours per week for 52 weeks. The employment offer may have separate arrangements in place for holiday pay, which would affect the calculation.

I think, therefore, more information is needed before it can be suggested the club would be acting illegally.
No, you are entitled to holiday pay at your normal rate. From recall it's 4 weeks plus Bank Holidays. If NGR's maths is correct Newport County have advertized a job below minimum wage. Which is unlawful.

Please, I really have a difficulty with your post. It appears to me that you are trying to find an excuse. If we want a better club, and no matter how good the club is it can always improve, it is far better to acknowledge error. On another thread, notwithstanding some posters tried to have a go at me, I praised the club for the actions of Colin Faulkner. He recognised the club were in error and took steps to put it right.

That is progress. Pretending everything is perfect or finding excuses is the very opposite.

County Exile wrote:Not trying to find an excuse just trying to determine the facts. Holiday pay can be negotiated separately from the basic salary provided it meets the stat minimum requirements.
If you go to the GovUK website and put in holiday pay you will find the rules. Put simply you are entitled to 5.6 weeks paid holiday leave at your normal rate of pay. Could I suggest you read it, inwardly digest and stop publishing 'fact' of which you clearly know nothing.

I am genuinely not wanting to have an argument, but whilst all of us are entitled to an opinion, you can't simply publish opinion as fact. to do so without checking really does make you look silly. There is no shame in being wrong, there is no shame in not knowing. There is even no shame in not knowing where to look. But just printing up your views as fact is very silly.

That advertisement certainly brought back a few memories for me. When I was a young pharmacist I applied for a post in Parke-Davis who had their local hq at Mamhilad, bear in mind they were the oldest and largest drug company in America and have now been merged in the Pfizer group. The rôle was quite onerous in that not only was the post-holder expected to prepare monographs for their drugs and provide medical information to medical professionals but also train their sales force. I remarked to the interviewer that presumably the salary figure he mentioned when I asked was presumably for one of these rôles and that the final figure would in fact be tripled, he assured me that in fact it was just as stated for all three. Needless to say he got the peanuts and monkeys reply. I found it to be not only ridiculous but appalling that such a large company could be so “ cheap “ ad show such disrespect to a prospective colleague. The County job interfacing with the public is an important one and if we decide to employ somebody in any capacity, even if considered menial by us as an employer, then it should at least keep the wolf from the door.

landinho wrote:Appears the job description has been taken down.

Thank heavens for that. It was the type of oversight which could have cost our beloved club dearly.

Of course I don't expect any gratitude from the club, I admit a little mention in the programme thanking me for pointing out the error would have been nice but being the modest person I am I can live without it.

Besides it's enough for me to know that I did my bit, that the readers of this board are in the most part grateful for my timely advice to the club and best of all that my detractors will be choking on their cornflakes reading this.

Up the 'port. :cheers:

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Thank heavens for that. It was the type of oversight which could have cost our beloved club dearly.

Of course I don't expect any gratitude from the club, I admit a little mention in the programme thanking me for pointing out the error would have been nice but being the modest person I am I can live without it.

Besides it's enough for me to know that I did my bit, that the readers of this board are in the most part grateful for my timely advice to the club and best of all that my detractors will be choking on their cornflakes reading this.

If you want to avoid having detractors, I would suggest you remove all the mirrors from your home......

Ben-NCFC wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: Could I suggest you read it, inwardly digest and stop publishing 'fact' of which you clearly know nothing.

I am genuinely not wanting to have an argument

:lol:
I don't. However Newport County put out an advert which could have led to the club having to pay out untold further sums of hard cash, your hard cash in losing cases in an employment tribunal.

Worse in offering very low wages for an important role it would result in only unsuitable people being employed, peanuts and monkeys.

Worst of all in offering a wage below the limit with which it is not possible to live a dignified life it would have dragged the name of Newport County and the city the club represents through the mud.

I don't want arguments, but if it is necessary to have arguments to prevent the calamities outlined above, so be it.

whoareya wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

If you want to avoid having detractors, I would suggest you remove all the mirrors from your home......
I expect he only uses them to check for vampires :grin: