Job Vacancy at NCAFC :

Here are the details for the job as advertised:

https://www.newport-county.co.uk/news/2 ... o-vacancy/

Looking at the roles of the job, one has to wonder whether we're paying enough.
Just strikes me that £15,000 is very low pay for such a role, at 40 hrs a week.....something like £7.22 an hour.
Can we not afford to pay more than that for what could turn into quite a crucial role for the club going forward?

On the face of it, it seems one might earn more money folding t-shirts in Primark, (with all due respect to those who do that job)

Is this the kind of money a FL club should be paying for such a position?
Before anyone says, it's not a dig at the club, because I genuinely don't know what other clubs pay for such a full time (40 hrs a week) role..... but it just appears to ME personally, that £7.22 an hour is somewhat low.

Re: Job Vacancy at NCAFC :

It may be low but,we are little Newport County with one of the lowest player budgets in our league.It would suit a young adult fresh out of college it seems.In fact Hayley Ford held that position last season before moving on to Doncaster Rovers on her next step up the payment ladder.She was that age I think and Ben Catton was assistant to her,maybe he has moved on in the same way.It could also suit a 50 something person who has taken early retirement.The other solution would be for more fans to pay into the trust to give the club more scope to offer a better deal.

Percy plunkett wrote:It may be low but,we are little Newport County with one of the lowest player budgets in our league.It would suit a young adult fresh out of college it seems.In fact Hayley Ford held that position last season before moving on to Doncaster Rovers on her next step up the payment ladder.She was that age I think and Ben Catton was assistant to her,maybe he has moved on in the same way.It could also suit a 50 something person who has taken early retirement.The other solution would be for more fans to pay into the trust to give the club more scope to offer a better deal.
Percy,

It's below the minimum wage. If I applied for the job and it was given to a teenager who can start on a lower minimum I could take Newport County AFC to an employment tribunal. I could argue that I was discriminated against on account of my age. The club would have no defence.

GSB writing back in January said that he believed that I supported the team but hated the club. I disagree. By pointing out when the club behave badly, or in this case if NGR's maths are correct unlawfully, I believe I help the club and that real damage can be done by those who without thought defend the club's actions.

I make no comment as to National Minimum Wage.
When I say it strikes ME as being low, I usually go by the following yardstick: "disregarding pension contributions, assuming standard tax situation, a low paid job is one where the National Insurance deduction is higher than the tax paid"
Currently the highest wage at which this occurs is £18,300 per annum.

The job as advertised gives an N.I deduction of £63.68 per month, and a tax amount of £41.67..... it is therefore low paid in my view.

You could argue that a person 25+ wouldn't apply on the grounds that the wage is too low.Therefore only a younger person would apply thus removing the need to state young applicant only.Someone would find it difficult to prove that they were denied the post because of age.As for GSB's comment,maybe you could prove him wrong Brendan.Why not become an ex pat trust member and help the club be able to pay a better wage.I am sponsoring two player kits this year,there are some players still available,come on Brendan,prove him wrong.

Percy plunkett wrote:You could argue that a person 25+ wouldn't apply on the grounds that the wage is too low.Therefore only a younger person would apply thus removing the need to state young applicant only.Someone would find it difficult to prove that they were denied the post because of age.As for GSB's comment,maybe you could prove him wrong Brendan.Why not become an ex pat trust member and help the club be able to pay a better wage.I am sponsoring two player kits this year,there are some players still available,come on Brendan,prove him wrong.
At what age bracket does £7.22 an hour meet the National Minimum Wage, and is the job advertised at that age group?...

newgroundrodney wrote:I make no comment as to National Minimum Wage.
When I say it strikes ME as being low, I usually go by the following yardstick: "disregarding pension contributions, assuming standard tax situation, a low paid job is one where the National Insurance deduction is higher than the tax paid"

The job as advertised gives an N.I deduction of £63.68 per month, and a tax amount of £41.67..... it is therefore low paid in my view.
You pay tax on earnings, not what you earn an hour. If I worked for 100 hours at £5 an our that would give me an annual income of £500, x 52 = £26,000. I would be taxed on that even though I was being paid well below the minimum.

Now I agree with the old adage that if you pay peanuts you get monkeys. I also think that it is a job not suitable as a first job for a school leaver. So this is what I would have done.

This job entails communication with the public and a deep interest in Newport County AFC. As a lower League club where finances are tight, it might well suit a person nearing retirement who has these life skills. The renumeration of £15,000 is for a 30 hour week.

I suspect if you did that you'd attract a County fanatic of a certain age who would probably happily volunteer for going the extra mile. Seriously if I lived in Newport I would apply on that basis. Although I doubt the incumbent board would employ me. :grin:

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:I make no comment as to National Minimum Wage.

You pay tax on earnings, not what you earn an hour. If I worked for 100 hours at £5 an our that would give me an annual income of £500, x 52 = £26,000. I would be taxed on that even though I was being paid well below the minimum.

Now I agree with the old adage that if you pay peanuts you get monkeys. I also think that it is a job not suitable as a first job for a school leaver. So this is what I would have done.

This job entails communication with the public and a deep interest in Newport County AFC. As a lower League club where finances are tight, it might well suit a person nearing retirement who has these life skills. The renumeration of £15,000 is for a 30 hour week.

I suspect if you did that you'd attract a County fanatic of a certain age who would probably happily volunteer for going the extra mile. Seriously if I lived in Newport I would apply on that basis. Although I doubt the incumbent board would employ me. :grin:
It says 40 hours on the job description.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:Hi Gary,

The point I was making was that if you employed me for thirty hours, you could do so lawfully for £15K pa and I'd, as a County fanatic volunteer far more. :grin:
Sorry Brendan, I was too focused on reading what you actually wrote, not that which I thought you wrote.. :grin:
Seriously though, on a slightly political point, when you hear talk of a 'living wage', I would still argue that what is often described as such, is still quite low.
My example of £18,300 per annum, even for a 36 hour week, is £9.78 p/hr.... and that's low paid in my view. I realise Minimum Wages laws may define it differently.
When I looked at the job as advertised, it just struck me as low paid....when you think there are bus drivers on £30k !

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:It may be low but,we are little Newport County with one of the lowest player budgets in our league.It would suit a young adult fresh out of college it seems.In fact Hayley Ford held that position last season before moving on to Doncaster Rovers on her next step up the payment ladder.She was that age I think and Ben Catton was assistant to her,maybe he has moved on in the same way.It could also suit a 50 something person who has taken early retirement.The other solution would be for more fans to pay into the trust to give the club more scope to offer a better deal.
Percy,

It's below the minimum wage. If I applied for the job and it was given to a teenager who can start on a lower minimum I could take Newport County AFC to an employment tribunal. I could argue that I was discriminated against on account of my age. The club would have no defence.

GSB writing back in January said that he believed that I supported the team but hated the club. I disagree. By pointing out when the club behave badly, or in this case if NGR's maths are correct unlawfully, I believe I help the club and that real damage can be done by those who without thought defend the club's actions.
Not only this, but I can assure you they’ll be forced to work many, many more hours than the advertised 40.

Taunt70 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Percy,

Not only this, but I can assure you they’ll be forced to work many, many more hours than the advertised 40.
That's interesting. You may well be correct, I don't know. However, how can you be 'assured' that they will be forced to work more hours than advertised?

Taunt70 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Percy,

To be fair to the club, I have no doubt this is not mendacious but rather a ****-up. I just hope that the small minority of supporters who are forever posting on here that the club can do no wrong and that anyone who doesn't share this view 'hates' the club realize that those of us who are critical are motivated by genuinely wanting the club to be better.