Re: Hungerford Friendly

Looked very good against Shrewsbury playing in an advanced midfield role running at players with the ball and good one or two touch passing. Considering it was a friendly they resorted to fouling him a lot. From the line up it seems he was played as a striker today and scored but against weaker opposition.

Corpaboy wrote:Whitey seems to be impressing in the pre-season games .
Not seen him yet myself .

Any thoughts , people ??
UTC
An opinion only. Although based on 53 years of watching professional football.

Although Newport County don't play at the top level, it's still a pretty high level. Pre season fixtures mean very little. You can judge players only when they have to play in competitive fixtures. In friendlies and in training there just isn't the real test.

All the players who sign for Newport County have the basic ability to succeed. When in front of 4,000 a full back gets skinned by a winger and made to look an utter prat in front of supporters only too willing to let him know what a prat he is, only then do you find out whether he has the character to take a deep breath, think about what's happened and figure out a way to stop it happening again. When a talented winger first gets kicked four foot up in the air by a seasoned pro/established thug, only then do you discover whether he has the character to go again at said thug. When late in the game a midfield player is totally knackered, only then do you discover whether he has the character to find one more lung bursting run from somewhere deep inside.

Friendlies, in my view tell you nowt.

sblair1979 wrote:Who was the other young midfielder in the second half? Short black hair, sat in front of defence.

Thought he was a trialist, was he an academy player?
Dominic Jefferies from Academy was number 22. I know because he liked my FB comments with his pic in. :lol: