Re: Owura Edwards to Bristol City

Chez wrote:Looks like Owura Edwards, who recently signed a professional contract with us, will be off to Bristol City this summer.

Wonder how much we'd get for him? Shame that he couldn't have flourished here.

As far as i'm aware he was offered but never signed a professional contract with us? Not sure we are entitled to any fee for him either.
Undoubtedly there are other posters who will be more knowledgeable in this area than I.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Chez wrote:Looks like Owura Edwards, who recently signed a professional contract with us, will be off to Bristol City this summer.

As far as i'm aware he was offered but never signed a professional contract with us? Not sure we are entitled to any fee for him either.
Undoubtedly there are other posters who will be more knowledgeable in this area than I.

We’ll be entitled to some sort of fee/compo and, as I wrote a few days ago, the clubs are in the middle of sorting this out. I believe his brother is with Brizzle too

rncfc wrote:So yet another player deemed to have enough potential to jump 2 or 3 leagues up, but didn't play a single minute for us.
They are looking to buy his potential, to join their U23's squad similar to Kavanagh a few years ago. That doesn't mean that he was ready for first team football last season in League Two :roll:

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:

At the AGM, I'm pretty sure it was said on the presentation that he'd signed

The academy system seems to be working in favour of bigger clubs in much the same way as the loan system does. Little clubs do the work and bigger clubs reap the rewards.

There have been many changes in football in the half century plus I have watched the game. And I am not being overly nostalgic, many of the changes such as the reduction (not eradication I know) in racism, safer stadiums etc have been for the good. But the ever increasing disparity between bigger and smaller clubs is a change for the worse.

I was reminded of this thinking about the FA Cup. The first Cup Final I watched on TV was Everton v Sheffield Wednesday in 1966. These days the bigger clubs don't bother to even play their stronger sides until late in the competition, yet the same few teams tend to win the Cup year after year. Now for a fact I find amazing the first thirteen Cup finals I watched produced 13 different winners between 1966 and 1978. Don't believe me? Everton, Spurs, WBA, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Leeds, Sunderland, Liverpool, West Ham, Southampton, Man United, Ipswich.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:The academy system seems to be working in favour of bigger clubs ...
The Elite Player Performance Plan was forced onto EFL clubs by the Premier League as part of the Solidarity Payments renegotiation, it is dreadful for EFL clubs when looked at in isolation but was part of a package at the time.

The EFL screwed up earlier negotiations putting their clubs over a barrel when the TV money to the Premier League went up massively.

Like most of us,I don't get to watch the Academy that much.Has Owura come through our U16's or is he like Regan,Lee Evans in that he has recently come to us after being released by say Cardiff or someone.I remember Lewis Collins as a 15 year old being mentioned as a bright prospect but not Owura,so is he late developer,has he been around long.