Re: First game

I am pleased we have Mansfield opening game because they are one of the automatic promotion favourites and will give MF a chance to assess our players, combinations, positions and tactics against one of the strongest teams straight away giving him room to change, tweak and strengthen the team before the widow closes.
County also have Plymouth and FGR to play in August other promotion contenders and at the end of the month we will see if we have the calibre of players in our squad to challenge for the top 3. Much better to have early tests gives you a reality check and time to put things right and reassess the way forward.

I’d like to be up and running before we play the contenders. Three in one month, hm, that is daunting. The plus side of course, is that if we do have a good August with those games out of the way, we will be flying. Fingers crossed. Cmon the County.

Mike I beg to differ MF would rather know sooner rather than later if his squad is the real deal or not then can be proactive.
Although bizarre results can happen we were thrashed by Yeovil at RP was it 6-0 ?
We go into the play off final and they drop into The Conference !
Its a funny, old game that's why we love it !

George Street-Bridge wrote:Reading the profiles on the Mansfield website, it looks to me like on paper you have a weaker squad this season than last, at least weaker than the one you ended the season with.

Would that be right?
No, we've definitely strengthened. We've kept the same defence, as well as our main weapon, CJ Hamilton. The only players to go are loan players, and the only one of those that will be missed is Tyler Walker, but he has been replaced by 2 prolific strikers in Nicky Maynard and Andy Cook. They will both expect to score 20 goals this season. We've also added Portsmouth midfielder Dion Donohue, 2 youngsters from Burnley, Kellan Gordon, who was well-liked at Lincoln and several promising youth team players.

I'm really happy with the squad and if it has improved as I believe it has, we should finish higher than last season's 4th place.

Staggo wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:Reading the profiles on the Mansfield website, it looks to me like on paper you have a weaker squad this season than last, at least weaker than the one you ended the season with.

Would that be right?
No, we've definitely strengthened. We've kept the same defence, as well as our main weapon, CJ Hamilton. The only players to go are loan players, and the only one of those that will be missed is Tyler Walker, but he has been replaced by 2 prolific strikers in Nicky Maynard and Andy Cook. They will both expect to score 20 goals this season. We've also added Portsmouth midfielder Dion Donohue, 2 youngsters from Burnley, Kellan Gordon, who was well-liked at Lincoln and several promising youth team players.

I'm really happy with the squad and if it has improved as I believe it has, we should finish higher than last season's 4th place.
I think I’d be happy with that too :shock: let’s hope they haven’t “ gelled “ yet :grin:

somerton moss wrote:Mike I beg to differ MF would rather know sooner rather than later if his squad is the real deal or not then can be proactive.
Although bizarre results can happen we were thrashed by Yeovil at RP was it 6-0 ?
We go into the play off final and they drop into The Conference !
Its a funny, old game that's why we love it !
I see your point mate and I agree, it is certainly a funny old game. However, I just like the first part of the season to be ‘nice and steady’. If we were to come out of August with not many points and at the lower end of the table then our confidence would take a knock.

Hypothetical of course, but I wonder who MF would have picked first game given the choice. I would have been happier with the likes of Grimsby or Northampton. Having said that, they may have bought well. Just thinking alongside last seasons form. Anyway, bring it on I say.

Amberexile wrote:Last season Notts County were tipped by many for automatic promotion. When we beat them in August it seemed we were really on the way with Flynn having corrected the selection errors he made for the Mansfield away game.
Their problem seemed to be that they signed plenty of attacking players but nothing resembling a defence and they never had the ball long enough to score more goals than they were leaking. By the time they got to a transfer window everyone's confidence was shattered.

My worst case scenario sees everyone we signed at the back except Mickey and O'B being awful, Labs and Bennett perma-injured and the same thing happening to us. I don't think it's very likely though (and I predicted 3rd - dunno which of Bury Argyle, Bradford, Mansfield and the usual suspects we'll finish below though).

SJG99 wrote:
Amberexile wrote:Last season Notts County were tipped by many for automatic promotion. When we beat them in August it seemed we were really on the way with Flynn having corrected the selection errors he made for the Mansfield away game.
Their problem seemed to be that they signed plenty of attacking players but nothing resembling a defence and they never had the ball long enough to score more goals than they were leaking. By the time they got to a transfer window everyone's confidence was shattered.

My worst case scenario sees everyone we signed at the back except Mickey and O'B being awful, Labs and Bennett perma-injured and the same thing happening to us. I don't think it's very likely though (and I predicted 3rd - dunno which of Bury Argyle, Bradford, Mansfield and the usual suspects we'll finish below though).
I think you'll find Bury went up last season mate
So not much chance of them finishing above us in League 2 this season ??

Corpaboy wrote:
SJG99 wrote:

I think you'll find Bury went up last season mate
Little joke on his part due to the ex Bury boss and 5 of his players going South. Hence Bury Argyle!

pembsexile wrote:
Corpaboy wrote: I think you'll find Bury went up last season mate
Little joke on his part due to the ex Bury boss and 5 of his players going South. Hence Bury Argyle!
Aren’t their own fans calling them Plymbury? :grin: