Re: The team that wouldnt die

Amberexile wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:I think the 2010 promotion at least warranted a mention , as did Scadding.

Looking back though it is incredible to think the City council wound up their football club. Today they preach how important a club is for the community yet allowed the WRU to purchase RP from under their noses.
The Council had zero chance of buying RP. The WRU had it sewn up that they were the only possible purchasers.
In that case , can you imagine Newport City Council granting any housing development on RP? They would have done it twice in a generation.

UPTHEPORT wrote:Always felt guilty after we went bust could us fans have done any more :(

Pity we didn't have a message board back then I could have got a collection together on here :grin:
With no internet back then, there was no way to do a search on Sherman, although that haven't stopped bad owners getting their hands on clubs since. Also his ego and fantasy world perhaps stopped anyone else stepping forward at the time.

ghosty wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:Always felt guilty after we went bust could us fans have done any more :(

Pity we didn't have a message board back then I could have got a collection together on here :grin:
With no internet back then, there was no way to do a search on Sherman, although that haven't stopped bad owners getting their hands on clubs since. Also his ego and fantasy world perhaps stopped anyone else stepping forward at the time.
I must have written this a score of times, Jerry Sherman didn't kill Newport County. He was a vulture who tried to feast on the carcass of Newport County. We were gone before he showed up.

countyareup wrote:The old Club hadn't gone. They were in trouble, sure. What Sherman did, was give false hope and put off others coming in to help. That killed the Club.

Thankfully that band of men and women in 1989 wouldn't give up. Remarkable achievement against all the odds.
That’s certainly true, belief and sheer cussedness plus the “ gamble “ ( we really had no choice ) of the court case , what a winding, dangerous road it was especially as it was strewn with formidable enemies, the FAW, FIFA and UEFA.
Sherman was a convincing liar or perhaps it was because we all just wanted to believe the lying swine. The b@st@rd still owes me a pint as well. like all conmen he had no shame.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
ghosty wrote:

I must have written this a score of times, Jerry Sherman didn't kill Newport County. He was a vulture who tried to feast on the carcass of Newport County. We were gone before he showed up.
That doesn't tell the whole story Brendan. I remember seeing the writing on the wall when the old County lottery started to fold.

What Sherman did was give the fans false hope. Much has been said on about it being the hope that kills you. Well County fans (mainly the Lysaghts 400) sorted that one out. He is a toe rag of the first order who didn't get his initial facts right and tried to screw the club over. He was responsible for ultimately killing the 'old' Newpôrt County. He gave the final blow.

That was one of the great things about the documentary. I've been recommending it to friends who aren't necessarily remotely interested in football just for the social history.

How on earth did someone as wildly implausible as Sherman ever get any traction at all? It's only a generation ago.

Unless there was an intended irony I missed, even the TV reporter showing him walking along Mayfair sounded in awe. Didn't anyone stand up and say the Emperor was stark bollock naked?

We were that desperate to be rescued that we would have grabbed any Oliver branch regardless of how bizarre the branch.

Nobody and I mean nobody was interested in saving us, which is why someone like Sherman weasled in. The people running the club at the death were just Supporters like the rest of us and we’re obviously not worldly wise to fraudsters like him (& that’s not a criticism).

The local people who have been very successful in business that exist today were young pups in the world then.
Last edited by Justanordinaryfan on August 6th, 2019, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.