Re: The team that wouldnt die

George Street-Bridge wrote:That was one of the great things about the documentary. I've been recommending it to friends who aren't necessarily remotely interested in football just for the social history.

How on earth did someone as wildly implausible as Sherman ever get any traction at all? It's only a generation ago.

Unless there was an intended irony I missed, even the TV reporter showing him walking along Mayfair sounded in awe. Didn't anyone stand up and say the Emperor was stark bollock naked?
Oh God look at the hair as well, I've just realised who he reminds me of.

George Street-Bridge wrote:That was one of the great things about the documentary. I've been recommending it to friends who aren't necessarily remotely interested in football just for the social history.

How on earth did someone as wildly implausible as Sherman ever get any traction at all? It's only a generation ago.

Unless there was an intended irony I missed, even the TV reporter showing him walking along Mayfair sounded in awe. Didn't anyone stand up and say the Emperor was stark bollock naked?
From my experience of the criminal bar if I were ever to turn to a life of crime I would undoubtedly choose to be a conman.

It has two great advantages. By and large people want to believe they can get rich quick, have their problems easily solved. And the more desperate the situation the more caution is replaced by gullibility. And notwithstanding that others disagree I believe Newport County were at best in a desperate situation long before the .Seatle Bounder' appeared.

But the great advantage every conman has, and which every person who knows anything about the criminal justice is perfectly well aware of is this. Being a conman is great because even when your cover is blown, even as George puts it you are stark bollock naked, nobody who has been conned likes to admit it. And for the great majority of people who are conned, they'd rather take the hit than complain and look foolish.

After seeing the vast changes made at Celtic Manor and the extent and changes with which no one seemed to either agree or even expect I was amazed when I saw the mass of building which appeared on the shoulder of the M4. I wondered if anyone amongst the ruling Newport Council or councils, had ever considered an approach to Sir Terry Mathews for help in funding a stadium for the local team or teams . I believe that the FA already hold various important meetings and get togethers at the establishment and perhaps he could be the answer to Newport City and County really getting a stadium worth the name...................just a idea !!
Come on the Port.......Bob Bassett

ghosty wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:Always felt guilty after we went bust could us fans have done any more :(

Pity we didn't have a message board back then I could have got a collection together on here :grin:
With no internet back then, there was no way to do a search on Sherman, although that haven't stopped bad owners getting their hands on clubs since. Also his ego and fantasy world perhaps stopped anyone else stepping forward at the time.
The existence of the internet pretty much saved Southampton from fantasist Mickey Fialka and instead steered it into the hands of the wonderful Markus Liebherr - without internet rumour and lack of evidence of his financial credibility (despite the support of Matt Le Tissier) he may have been able to take control of the then League One side on -10 points and in administration. Coventry's SISU were sniffing around before that as well, another lucky escape. Shows that fan involvement goes further than just putting your hands into your pockets even when you're not the owners.

As for the documentary, overall I loved it, saw myself (in Gloucester behind the goal in my early 1990s-era leather jacket for one of the goals shown) - I did think the voiceover was incredibly utterly hyperbolic though and did no-one any favours.

The story is good enough without numerous mentions of how everything was the most important/worst/biggest <somethings> ever, or generally lazy slating of the club and a few factual inaccuracies thrown in for good measure just from lazily written commentary... Plus of course the story basically jumped from 1994 to 2013 at one point. It had moments of unprofessionalism, which probably should have been left to the club, in places...

BertieB wrote:After seeing the vast changes made at Celtic Manor and the extent and changes with which no one seemed to either agree or even expect I was amazed when I saw the mass of building which appeared on the shoulder of the M4. I wondered if anyone amongst the ruling Newport Council or councils, had ever considered an approach to Sir Terry Mathews for help in funding a stadium for the local team or teams . I believe that the FA already hold various important meetings and get togethers at the establishment and perhaps he could be the answer to Newport City and County really getting a stadium worth the name...................just a idea !!
Come on the Port.......Bob Bassett
He's not remotely interested in football.

Apologies for linking to a Cardiff City forum, but... https://cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopi ... 2&t=151870

G Guest wrote:Stan is right. The only people Sherman fooled were the ones who wanted to be fooled. Others could see through him but the decline of the club and it's demise had become inevitable. Sherman didn't destroy County, the old club was already dead.
As a kid who sat behind the press box in the grandstand as the person formerly known as "Mr X" did his coming out interview for Radio Wales (or whichever station it was he was being interviewed by) you could see why the American with the blond hair and sunglasses was taken at face value, he had a huge presence... initially. After the first broken promise we should have been running a mile, but at that time, no-one else would have been interested, it was 1988, football was still that thing hooligans went to as far as the general public was concerned, there was a recession looming, and the idea that a ramshackle ground like Somerton Park with its couple of thousand loyalists could be considered as a community facility or integral part of a town's identity was years off being anything other than fanciful.

Agree that the club was doomed from their financial situation and it was evident by the Division 3 relegation rather than the Division 4 one that the club was in trouble (it was all over the Argus for a start), but the writing wasn't definitely on the wall until looking at the squad in October '87 in Div 4. The ultimate irony being that YTS star Darren Peacock was sold for £1.5 million a few years after, when County only owed a third of that.

"He's not remotely interested in football"...……that maybe so but according to reports, the FA has already held meetings and other get togethers at the Celtic Manor and if businessmen who are interested in Newport town and the lack of class it portrays, got together and approached that person with project to improve this towns status, a sports stadium could improve the town which is after all the first city after crossing the Prince of Wales Bridge into Wales ...not merely a jumble of buildings ……..Come on the Port.!!..
Bob Bassett

If anyone has free overseas calls and has a spare 10 minutes, I'm averagely confident that Jerry Sherman can be reached on the numbers below;

206-588-1042, 425-502-7422

I'm sure he'd be interested to know how we're doing. Or you might just want to shout some expletives down the phone at him. I might give it a go later if I get bored.

BertieB wrote:"He's not remotely interested in football"...……that maybe so but according to reports, the FA has already held meetings and other get togethers at the Celtic Manor and if businessmen who are interested in Newport town and the lack of class it portrays, got together and approached that person with project to improve this towns status, a sports stadium could improve the town which is after all the first city after crossing the Prince of Wales Bridge into Wales ...not merely a jumble of buildings ……..Come on the Port.!!..
Bob Bassett
worth contacting him, in 2016 he was linked to taking over the Dragons, not sure what happened with that but if you dont ask you dont get !

rncfc wrote:If anyone has free overseas calls and has a spare 10 minutes, I'm averagely confident that Jerry Sherman can be reached on the numbers below;

206-588-1042, 425-502-7422

I'm sure he'd be interested to know how we're doing. Or you might just want to shout some expletives down the phone at him. I might give it a go later if I get bored.
Last I heared of the w****r he was banged up for fraud, is he out now?