Re: Team for saturday

pembsexile wrote:Don't really feel confident to suggest a full team as I haven't seen any of the newbies in pre season. However, going by the match reports, I would like to see Whiteley play. If he does, is there enough scope in the team to have both him and Robbie?
Yeah, Whitely's played left sided as an attacking wide player, but can also play up front in the middle and presumably therefore as an attacking midfielder centrally too. We *could* play both Whitely and Willmott as wide midfielders in a 4 with 2 up (or 1 up top but you tell me which of Amond or Matt you'd leave out). I don't think we'd play Whitely wide as well as Nurse/Haynes as a wingback, seems too many players in the same attacking space if the LB's role is to get crosses in.

Depends on whether we play a back 4 or 3 CBs with wingbacks, whether we play 2 DMs in the middle (unlikely if we already have a back 3+2), whether we play 1 up front with wingers, or 2 conventional strikers in the middle, and where the other positions sit around the choices made in terms of numbers of CMs. I am fairly sure we'll also have 1 GK. :lol:

SJG99 wrote:
pembsexile wrote:Don't really feel confident to suggest a full team as I haven't seen any of the newbies in pre season. However, going by the match reports, I would like to see Whiteley play. If he does, is there enough scope in the team to have both him and Robbie?
Yeah, Whitely's played left sided as an attacking wide player, but can also play up front in the middle and presumably therefore as an attacking midfielder centrally too. We *could* play both Whitely and Willmott as wide midfielders in a 4 with 2 up (or 1 up top but you tell me which of Amond or Matt you'd leave out). I don't think we'd play Whitely wide as well as Nurse/Haynes as a wingback, seems too many players in the same attacking space if the LB's role is to get crosses in.

Depends on whether we play a back 4 or 3 CBs with wingbacks, whether we play 2 DMs in the middle (unlikely if we already have a back 3+2), whether we play 1 up front with wingers, or 2 conventional strikers in the middle, and where the other positions sit around the choices made in terms of numbers of CMs. I am fairly sure we'll also have 1 GK. :lol:
Thank goodness for that! The new keeper rules could have been difficult to implement otherwise. I'm still worried about that lone centre back far up the field though. If MF does do that, I hope he goes with Mickey D.

Can understand it's a balancing act as to how big a squad is required. Certainly at times last year we were down to the bear bones at times in certain areas, due to several injuries in similar positions, and would have benefitted from a larger squad; yet as has been mentioned it can be difficult keeping everyone happy if a number of player aren't getting any game time. Hopefully it will give us an opportunity to field stronger sides in the EFL trophy.

P.s. Having said this, have just read on BBC website that Haynes and Leadbitter , already ruled out for tomorrow.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Can understand it's a balancing act as to how big a squad is required. Certainly at times last year we were down to the bear bones at times in certain areas, due to several injuries in similar positions, and would have benefitted from a larger squad; yet as has been mentioned it can be difficult keeping everyone happy if a number of player aren't getting any game time. Hopefully it will give us an opportunity to field stronger sides in the EFL trophy.

P.s. Having said this, have just read on BBC website that Haynes and Leadbitter , already ruled out for tomorrow.
Hope that’s not a sign of things to come. I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that the latter was injury-prone and wasn’t Haynes carrying an injury when we signed him? Happy to be corrected if I’m wrong.