An old idea and a sobering thought.

As we all know Justin Edinburgh died recently and it would be amiss if the club didn't recognize that at the opening game. Likewise Gareth, the man in the wellies, whom I knew for 50 years.

But if there is one thing in which we not only all share but are all equal in it is death. Now for the sobering thought. Of the 12,000 or so County fans who were at Wembley in May, about 20 of us will have died in the ten weeks since.

I think on Saturday it would be a good gesture and perhaps the start of a good tradition if we were to have a minutes applause for all County supporters who won't be there.

Re: An old idea and a sobering thought.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:As we all know Justin Edinburgh died recently and it would be amiss if the club didn't recognize that at the opening game. Likewise Gareth, the man in the wellies, whom I knew for 50 years.

But if there is one thing in which we not only all share but are all equal in it is death. Now for the sobering thought. Of the 12,000 or so County fans who were at Wembley in May, about 20 of us will have died in the ten weeks since.

I think on Saturday it would be a good gesture and perhaps the start of a good tradition if we were to have a minutes applause for all County supporters who won't be there.
F*** me, 20 out of 12,000!! I hope I am not the 21st as it is my birthday then. I hope I make it. Worried now! Good idea though.

I'd be very surprised if Justin's passing isn't marked, and Gareth too.

They did commemorate Gareth at Wembley, including his picture on the big screen. Very good to give each club a segment with their own announcer.

One thing I wish the club would adopt is when there is a minute's silence or applause and people are asked to stand, the announcer adds "if you are able to". That had never occurred to me until I heard it at the 2012 Olympics.

I very rarely go to away games these days - do you ever hear it at other grounds?

George Street-Bridge wrote:I'd be very surprised if Justin's passing isn't marked, and Gareth too.

They did commemorate Gareth at Wembley, including his picture on the big screen. Very good to give each club a segment with their own announcer.

One thing I wish the club would adopt is when there is a minute's silence or applause and people are asked to stand, the announcer adds "if you are able to". That had never occurred to me until I heard it at the 2012 Olympics.

I very rarely go to away games these days - do you ever hear it at other grounds?
Yes, they do it at Sligo Rovers before the first game of the season. And it is genuinely moving. So I clearly take no credit for the idea.

Absolutely agree on the stand if you are able comment.

George Street-Bridge wrote:I'd be very surprised if Justin's passing isn't marked, and Gareth too.

Strongly second the bolded section, this would be a really great touch to include everyone. Top man.

Willthiswork wrote:I also think that only maybe at the first game and the last game of the season we remember those supporters with a minutes silence, rather than every other game. I understand it means something to the family but if there was an understanding it would possibly work out better? The pictures could be put on the board for the minute too?
I think if there is a tragedy involving the club or a well known former player then it should be recognized immediately. However I agree that at every other game it can become maudlin.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:I also think that only maybe at the first game and the last game of the season we remember those supporters with a minutes silence, rather than every other game. I understand it means something to the family but if there was an understanding it would possibly work out better? The pictures could be put on the board for the minute too?
I think if there is a tragedy involving the club or a well known former player then it should be recognized immediately. However I agree that at every other game it can become maudlin.
Agreed!

Willthiswork wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Agreed!
Yes , we have many old duffers, sorry fans like me and if it’s a hard winter the crowd will be pretty quiet most games :grin: What about a births, marriages and deaths section in the program? Only kidding but it’s an idea.