Basingstoke Town

Watching my local TV news this week, there was a report about our former Conference South rivals being deep in the brown stuff with the owner selling the ground. It looks like the same old story in non-league.

Apparently they are playing in Winchester (not very far away) this season but the future looks bleak. A new ground is being built to what looks like very basic council sports centre standards, but they might go bust with no income in the meantime.

They filmed around the site of the Camrose and it has got to look very tatty, having never been particularly spick-and-span.

Report here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-h ... e-49177554

Re: Basingstoke Town

George Street-Bridge wrote:Watching my local TV news this week, there was a report about our former Conference South rivals being deep in the brown stuff with the owner selling the ground. It looks like the same old story in non-league.

Apparently they are playing in Winchester (not very far away) this season but the future looks bleak. A new ground is being built to what looks like very basic council sports centre standards, but they might go bust with no income in the meantime.

They filmed around the site of the Camrose and it has got to look very tatty, having never been particularly spick-and-span.

Report here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-h ... e-49177554
Basingstoke and Winchester are near enough that I once saw Southampton play both of them in the same day basically back to back, hammering down the M3 alongside the Saints manager, coaches and subs to get to the second kick off in time. :lol:

whoareya wrote:Remember going there the season we won the conference South - must have taken 500 there on a midweek night game. Craig Reid was in the clubhouse with us after the game.

Thought it was an ok ground but can see why it was prime for development.
One of the county games I will always remember. literally outnumbered them 5 to 1! didn't they give us the home end?

Bush wrote:
whoareya wrote:Remember going there the season we won the conference South - must have taken 500 there on a midweek night game. Craig Reid was in the clubhouse with us after the game.

Thought it was an ok ground but can see why it was prime for development.
One of the county games I will always remember. literally outnumbered them 5 to 1! didn't they give us the home end?
We weren't segregated at Basingstoke, Worcester around that time we certainly took over 500 but we were crammed into the away end.