Re: The Mansfield game.

Strange how “ thug “ has come once again to have racial overtones when for many years recently it hasn’t. I do believe though that it derives from a violent group on the Indian subcontinent called the “ thugees “ who had a distinctive method of despatching their victims.

Percy plunkett wrote:I thought the ref was a bit hasty to book Labs for his first mistimed tackle.Maybe his reputation means refs come down on him more.The ref also booked their guys for their first fouls as well meaning he made himself a problem thereafter.Their LB,Rose and Labs could then really have had another booking but he then took a lenient approach.Some refs think booking early gives them authority but it actually weakens them.
It wasn't a mistimed tackle. Labadie just went in and kicked him. Now it wasn't exactly a leg breaker but it was spiteful and unnecessary. Most if not all clubs have a Labadie but let's not kid ourselves that we are squeaky clean.

One other thing about Labadie, he is actually at our level an extremely talented player. He doesn't need to be that way.

Percy plunkett wrote:I thought the ref was a bit hasty to book Labs for his first mistimed tackle.Maybe his reputation means refs come down on him more.The ref also booked their guys for their first fouls as well meaning he made himself a problem thereafter.Their LB,Rose and Labs could then really have had another booking but he then took a lenient approach.Some refs think booking early gives them authority but it actually weakens them.
I think the booking for Labs was dubious, he went for the ball but didn't get it, whether he then left his foot in when he could have avoided the contact only those closer to the action such as the referee can judge with any credibility.

rncfc wrote:I like the fact he sticks a bad tackle in here and there. It gives you more space to control the game if the opposition are slightly scared of you.
I don’t think it makes opposition players think that - it makes them think ‘we can get this guy sent off if we’re clever about it’

lowandhard wrote:Strange how “ thug “ has come once again to have racial overtones when for many years recently it hasn’t. I do believe though that it derives from a violent group on the Indian subcontinent called the “ thugees “ who had a distinctive method of despatching their victims.
I'm sure that is correct

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
lowandhard wrote:Strange how “ thug “ has come once again to have racial overtones when for many years recently it hasn’t. I do believe though that it derives from a violent group on the Indian subcontinent called the “ thugees “ who had a distinctive method of despatching their victims.
I'm sure that is correct
They were worshippers of Kali, the Hindu goddess of death. They liked to garrote their victims.

Justanordinaryfan wrote:Looked to me that he stretched for a tackle and left his leg/foot when he could have withdrawn it in time - yellow for me.
I have to say I thought there was a double movement. But unlike some I don't believe I'm infallible. A second look would be interesting. In any event it was for me a clear yellow.

Just to defend King, I'm amazed people haven't noticed the enormous deflection the goal, that he otherwise would have saved, took off Mickey. He was annoyed because it was so close to him but the deflection took the ball the opposite side of his body and he just couldn't get his balance shifted to stop it.