Going Limbs - Bobby Linds

Hi

I am a researcher from Durham University writing a paper about the atmosphere and shared emotion of the fans during the Newport County v Leicester City match on the 6th of January 2019. I want to find out more about 'going limbs' or ' bobby linds'....

1. Is it usually known as 'going limbs'?
2. Is it ever known as 'bobby limbs' or 'bobby linds'?

Thanks
Victoria

Re: Going Limbs - Bobby Linds

I interviewed someone about the match with Leicester City on the 6th of January and they mentioned 'going limbs'/ 'Bobby Linds' about when a goal was scored and people go chaotic. The guy said it a couple of times, I thought that he said 'Bobby Linds' but Amber Army said on twitter 'going limbs'. To be honest 'going limbs' makes more sense but it did sound like the guy said 'Bobby Linds'. I need it to be confirmed it by a few people to be able to include it in my paper.

mad norm wrote:Where did the daft term "Writing a paper come from"?
At present I'm writing a walnut
At present I'm writing a lamppost
Seriously, I'm writing a Wellington boot on the Old Sainsbury site
You’d have to go back a few hundred years I suspect Norm, why don’t you research it and present a paper on it? :grin:

By the way, while I’m fully conversant with writing a paper, I’ve never heard of “going limbs” or anything similar despite playing in or attending a thousand football matches. Probably some ridiculous Americanism.

Elmo wrote:As I understand the term 'limbs' as regards to football fans, it refers to the mass flailing of arms and legs of a crowd in excitement when a goal is scored for example
I’m not sure that “ flailing “ is accurate. Many analyses of crowd behaviour have I believe shown great motor synchronicity in football crowds. Just watch the crowd reaction in slow motion to a goal or a near miss. I think Desmond Morris covered the subject some time ago. Arm salutes to greet a goal for example resemble the warlike spear thrusting of many tribal groups. Perhaps “ going limbs “ is simply the exuberant dancing common to any occasion of great celebration, if I should win the lottery I’ll give you a demonstration.

Thanks all for responding

Hi Mad Norm
I don't know where the term 'writing a paper' comes from, but it is what I am doing. Good luck with the walnut, lamppost, Wellington boot projects :)

Hi Low and Hard and Elmo,
Thanks for responding I am working out if it is a common usage, it so far seems not to be. I have asked fans of other clubs and no-one I asked uses that term (so far). Fingers crossed for the lottery!

Best wishes
Victoria