Re: County memories

There is for George but its brief. It talks of him in the past tense. As a youngster in Glasllwch around 1965 I was thrilled when he turned up in our house working for a furniture delivery service. It was in the close season. Of the Sheff Wed match team the one I had most dealings with was Len Hill. What a Jack of all trades and boy could he hit a volley with both feet.

What a dreadful day outside and the forum like a morgue today.
Having mentioned the other 4 forwards from 63-64 its only fair to add Colin Webster to the list.

A Cardiff lad who failed to make the first 11 was transferred to Man Utd clearly Jimmy Murphy saw something in him.

Over 6 years he made 65 appearances in Division 1 scoring 26 goals, a superb ratio for a winger.

The Gods were with him as due to being unwell he never made the fatal trip with all the other Busby Babes albeit as we Know Kenny Morgans did and survived.

He got a Runners up medal the following year against Nat Lofthouse and Bolton.

Colin got 4 caps for Wales whilst at United.

He then moved back to Wales with the Swans scoring 66 goals in 157 appearances.

Just one year with the County making 31 appearances and 4 league goals.

It was his last season in the league moving into Non League.

Colin passed away at the Age of 68 from Lung Cancer.

That's the 5 forwards in detail from that era.

Cheers

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
pembsexile wrote:Thanks for the info’ mate. I don’t want to trawl the whole thread, but have you profiled Len Hill? He was of that era. Apologies if he has been ‘done’.
No probs Pembs.

I will do Len next

Cheers
Cracking fella Len. Played cricket with him at the Fugies for a couple of seasons back in nineties. Good cricketer even then - must’ve been in his 50/60s.

As requested by Pembs & JonD.

Without doubt Len Hill was a County legend.

It would not happen these days but in his time and more so earlier in the last Century footballers also played first Class Cricket.

Len was certainly in that bracket.

As so many others did he joined County from Lovells Athletic (what a superb pitch that club had).

He signed in 1962 and played 8 seasons for us,
269 league games and 52 goals from what is now Midfield.

A season at the Swans did not work out for him and he came back for 3 years scoring 13 more goals in 97 appearances.

Every summer he played for Glamorgan as a batsman, never getting a century but reached in one season 96 & 90 not out, running out of partners.

Averaging in the mid twenties he scored over 2500 runs for the County.

until reading it never knew he was quality tennis player and golfer also.

Very sadly after a short battle with the Big C he passed in 2007 at the age of 65.

Like all the others got his autograph, proper gent.

Regards
Last edited by Frank Nouble 3 on October 24th, 2019, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.