County memories

A few fans have been looking back with fond memories of the old days this week.I have mentioned elsewhere that this weekend is my 50th anniversary of County games.I have great memories but as a child I remember players who shouldn't have been there.We used to sign Cardiff guys who had been pensioned off by them but we still took them.One player had a decent first season with us and in his career had won long throw awards.It was clear to me that his shoulder was now knackered by the second year and he was carrying his arm like he needed a sling.That must have restricted his movement but rather than pay him off and get a replacement,we kept playing him.Then there was the Rovers midfielder.His younger brother was in Dads Army whose sister used to make lovely cakes.He had a good first season but then spent the summer in America.That turned his head and he wanted to stay there.County refused and insisted he play out his contract,this he did but made it obvious that he didn't want to be out there and just went through the motions.Eddie Woods has said that he played his last season on one leg.I have never found anyone with a good word to say about Beswick yet he still played for two years.Either,in those days it was frowned on to cancel a players contract or,more likely,County couldn't afford to do that so they just let it roll.

Re: County memories

Bobby Woodfuff was a top class player.
In the Swindon super team with the great Don Rogers (immense winger) and Mike Summerbee.
Got all their autographs
You are correct it was the twilight of his career.
Some career 570 games and 115 goals.

Still with us also.

Will remember some time his name but we signed a player from Bristol Rovers before your time Percy and he never got a kick but was on the books for 2 seasons, played regularly for Rovers previously.

We had a few like that Harps.My first season,there was a guy called Perkins on the team photo,he never played a first team game.I guess he just played out his contract with the reserves in the Welsh League.Same goes for Mel Donovan from Mansfield in 74,he played friendlies in the pre season but never made the subs bench.

Percy plunkett wrote:We had a few like that Harps.My first season,there was a guy called Perkins on the team photo,he never played a first team game.I guess he just played out his contract with the reserves in the Welsh League.Same goes for Mel Donovan from Mansfield in 74,he played friendlies in the pre season but never made the subs bench.
They must of been poor as I cannot remember either of them

The Rovers fella was Ian Hamilton top class their but riddled with knee probs so we signed him enough said second season never kicked a ball.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:If my memory serves the long throw expert was Bobby Woodruff.
Remember Bobby Woodruff scoring a screamer at Stamford bridge in a 4-2 loss to Chelsea, willy brown scored the other as I remember, a terrific performance by the county that night, must have been a league cup game.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:Percy

The best example by a mile was Derek Tapscott.
A legend at Arsenal 132 games 64 goals
Likewise at City 194 and 79 goals.

County signed him and he was dire 65/66

Only played 13 times with a single goal.
We had a few past sell by date strikers.You probably saw Trevor Ford playing for us.I remember your mate George Johnson in 73,he was so good you have wiped him from your memory.At that time we also had David Jenkins ex Arsenal,he only lasted a month but did score the winner against someone during his stay.Johnson actually did worse,he blocked a Willie Brown shot on the line at Lincoln?,he didn't last long like Jenkins.

Blimey Trevor Ford

Georgie Johnson was total class at City as a foil for Toshack.

Thought Don Murray was crap at City but did us proud similarly Graham Coldrick.

Villers did nothing much for us.

Worst player I ever saw for City and County was Bobby Ferguson. Hopeless as a player and manager but was a regular with other clubs Derby and I think Ipswich.

Maybe it was partly to do with signing players who, within a tight budget, lived locally or a short train journey. These days, comuting an hour or two is pretty standard so the movement of borderline quality players in the lower leagues is now commonplace. No need to keep anyone who is easily replaced from a wider catchment area.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:Blimey Trevor Ford

Georgie Johnson was total class at City as a foil for Toshack.

Thought Don Murray was crap at City but did us proud similarly Graham Coldrick.

Villers did nothing much for us.

Worst player I ever saw for City and County was Bobby Ferguson. Hopeless as a player and manager but was a regular with other clubs Derby and I think Ipswich.
My memory of George Johnson for us,he was blonde with a beer belly.Murray was past it with us although he did help us stay in the League so grateful for that.Villers had a couple of good games but lost his love of football and became a milkman.Ferguson went on to have a good coaching career at Ipswich under Bobby Robson.That was only a couple of years after his awful spell with us so as they say,it's a funny old game.

I duly noted in another thread, the name Andy Bowman, who played in the first County game I ever saw in 1962/63, and if I recall correctly wore the number 6 shirt at left half,but also his right half partner wearing 4 called Dudley Peake!
As a collector of Newport County memorabilia, I have an unusual piece of epherma relating to Dudley, with regard to him being enrolled in a college course in relationship to some sort of technical apprenticeship which was the norm in the days of yore!
Great days where more of a level playing field was evident, and teams named bare elevens with no substitutes, and definitely no squads of thirty plus.........

mike wilks wrote:I duly noted in another thread, the name Andy Bowman, who played in the first County game I ever saw in 1962/63, and if I recall correctly wore the number 6 shirt at left half,but also his right half partner wearing 4 called Dudley Peake!
As a collector of Newport County memorabilia, I have an unusual piece of epherma relating to Dudley, with regard to him being enrolled in a college course in relationship to some sort of technical apprenticeship which was the norm in the days of yore!
Great days where more of a level playing field was evident, and teams named bare elevens with no substitutes, and definitely no squads of thirty plus.........
Except at Yeovil.

mike wilks wrote:I duly noted in another thread, the name Andy Bowman, who played in the first County game I ever saw in 1962/63, and if I recall correctly wore the number 6 shirt at left half,but also his right half partner wearing 4 called Dudley Peake!
Mike you are 100% correct here.
Dudley Peake played 2 separate times for us. Also played for the Swans.
Another name to conjure was Les Riggs still with us and attends the Ex players dinners, another long throw expert.
All the players walked to the ground had a pint after with the fans.
Everybody without exception signed autographs.
Different world.