Re: County memories

pembsexile wrote:Hey Frank, how about doing Tommy Tynan, for the oldies but the young ones should know about him if they don’t already.
More than happy to do so.
That's for tomorrow then.
Hope traffic is okay for those going up the M5 this afternoon.

Cheers

pembsexile wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:Of course Allen passed last year.
Just looked on Wiki and they have him down as Alan.
Also they have him as still with us.
No idea how you can amend Wiki details but I read somewhere you can?
Anybody know
Just looked mate. On the 'players who have played over 100 games for Newpôrt County' he is listed. There is a pencil logo on the right hand side above the list. If you select that, it gives you the option to edit. In normal circumstances you have to have a wiki account (I don't). You can register if you don't have an account - no idea how long this takes to verify.
I've amended the article for Allen, unable to change the title itself though - will see if Wikipedia accepts the source (the Argus article on his death) or whether it will revert, and if they choose to amend the name in the page title as well, as I've flagged it in my edit comments.

One of the issues will be that the source data for his appearances, which contains the misspelt name, cannot be edited as it was previously maintained by someone who themselves passed on it 2015.

SJG99 wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:Of course Allen passed last year.
Just looked on Wiki and they have him down as Alan.
Also they have him as still with us.
No idea how you can amend Wiki details but I read somewhere you can?
Anybody know
Just looked mate. On the 'players who have played over 100 games for Newpôrt County' he is listed. There is a pencil logo on the right hand side above the list. If you select that, it gives you the option to edit. In normal circumstances you have to have a wiki account (I don't). You can register if you don't have an account - no idea how long this takes to verify.
I've amended the article for Allen, unable to change the title itself though - will see if Wikipedia accepts the source (the Argus article on his death) or whether it will revert, and if they choose to amend the name in the page title as well, as I've flagged it in my edit comments.

One of the issues will be that the source data for his appearances, which contains the misspelt name, cannot be edited as it was previously maintained by someone who themselves passed on it 2015.
Much appreciated.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
pembsexile wrote:Hey Frank, how about doing Tommy Tynan, for the oldies but the young ones should know about him if they don’t already.

Cheers
Evening
Spent a fair time researching Tommy.
Started typing it up and family turned up.
By the time I clicked submit the thread it must of timed out and all lost.
Will have another try tomorrow

Cheers

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:

Cheers
Evening
Spent a fair time researching Tommy.
Started typing it up and family turned up.
By the time I clicked submit the thread it must of timed out and all lost.
Will have another try tomorrow

Cheers
Bloody hell mate - been waiting all night for that :) Good luck for tomorrow. I know I will enjoy reading it. Fabulous player. Got his autobiography, it's a great read, plenty of stuff about his County days.

County fans rarely have glory times but Tommy Tynan played a very big part in one of these times.
A Liverpool lad who never got a kick for the first team moved onto Sheff Wed then in the old 3rd Division.
After 2 seasons he racked up 31 league goals before a short few months at Lincoln.
In Feb 1979 the club played a record £25K for his services.

the following "season of triumph" saw Tommy make a huge impact obtaining our first promotion since 1939 plus winning the 2 leg Welsh Cup against Shrewsbury.
tommy scoring the final goal at Walsall and hitting the net in both the Cup legs.
Apart from of our younger readers what followed albeit ending in tears for us all was a great run in the European Cup winners Cup.
After winning 6-0 home against the Norwegian champions (Tommy scored 2) we drew in the Quarter final Carl Zeiss Zena the East German side.

Unbelievably Tommy scored his second goal of the away leg in the last minute 2-2 and all we had to do was draw at home 0-0 to take a place in the Semis
Despite outplaying the Germans for 90 minutes they scored from a Free Kick.
Thought it was AC Milan but others say it would of been Benfica, still not sure.

The following year we nearly got promotion to Division 2.
Tommy set a post war scoring record and was the Football leagues joint top scorer.
Sadly that was the beginning of the end.
Financial miss management meant Tommy was sold to Plymouth for £55K and became a legend at that club also.
last I heard Tommy was still driving a Taxi at the young age of 63.
Tommy's stats read in the league 646 games - 259 goals.
Greatest post war player for County?
Leave that up to you. :grin:
Tommy was the first player to be inducted into County's Hall of Fame in 2009.
These honours appear to have now sadly ceased with nobody new in last 4 years.

Hope you enjoyed the read

Cheers
Last edited by Frank Nouble 3 on August 22nd, 2019, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote: Financial miss management meant Tommy was sold to Plymouth for £55K
Frank - you might want to change it to Cup Winners' Cup, and I assume CZ J weren't East German champions or they would have been in the European Cup.

I'm not sure it can be argued the club was financially mismanaged. Maybe the problem was we couldn't really afford players as good as Tynan in the first place, which would be mismanagement of a sort but if so, then selling him was actually prudent. Any club buying players off us at that point would have had us by the short and curlies.

I don't think enough is said about the impact on our finances when the league changed its rules and home clubs got to keep their own gate money, when previously it had been shared. I don't know what the proportion was, but I doubt it was 50/50.

The thing that illustrates our decline for me is that when we played at Oxford in the near-miss season at Easter 1983 we had Steve Lowndes wearing 7, and when we went back there six months later it was Eugene Martinez.

George Street-Bridge wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote: Financial miss management meant Tommy was sold to Plymouth for £55K
Frank - you might want to change it to Cup Winners' Cup, and I assume CZ J weren't East German champions or they would have been in the European Cup.

I'm not sure it can be argued the club was financially mismanaged. Maybe the problem was we couldn't really afford players as good as Tynan in the first place, which would be mismanagement of a sort but if so, then selling him was actually prudent. Any club buying players off us at that point would have had us by the short and curlies.

I don't think enough is said about the impact on our finances when the league changed its rules and home clubs got to keep their own gate money, when previously it had been shared. I don't know what the proportion was, but I doubt it was 50/50.

The thing that illustrates our decline for me is that when we played at Oxford in the near-miss season at Easter 1983 we had Steve Lowndes wearing 7, and when we went back there six months later it was Eugene Martinez.
GSB

Much appreciated will do

Still stick to my comment regarding Finances though.
The killer blow was paying a fortune for us, for Waddle and the fella from Sheff Wed lunacy it all went downhill so fast from then on.
My mate believes Waddle was maybe too good for us but a fortune for us was blown away.

What is often overlooked when discussing our sudden change in fortunes back then was the change in gate money distribution - it was then that the Football League changed the method from being shared equally to allowing the home club to keep all receipts instead. Big clubs benefited, small clubs suffered, add that to a few signings that didn't work out and we spiralled into the abyss....

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:Think we got less for Tommy than we paid for Waddle.
Always thought we only got about £10k from Oxford for Aldo and if so what we paid for Johnson? was madness.
As previously mentioned, memory blurs with age. However, in my memory banks I have the picture of Oxford paying £40k for Aldo. No idea about the fee for Tommy though, don’t know why.

Great thread by the way.