Re: County memories

whoareya wrote:What is often overlooked when discussing our sudden change in fortunes back then was the change in gate money distribution - it was then that the Football League changed the method from being shared equally to allowing the home club to keep all receipts instead. Big clubs benefited, small clubs suffered, add that to a few signings that didn't work out and we spiralled into the abyss....
I never really understood what happened financially as I was away. What I do remember is having a conversation with my brother in law about it at the time. He mentioned the money spinning County lottery which was a big earner at the time. Apparently that was going downhill and much less money was going in the club coffers.

I was wrong on that one. According to the wiki page he went to Oxford for £78k in 1984. So much for memories. We would have made a fortune with sell ons had they been used by clubs in those days. Three years later he was sold to Liverpool for ten times that - £750,000. A fortune in those days.

Given I struggle to remember what day it is these figures could be miles off but they're all I have.

Waddle cost £80K.
Johnson cost £55K.

We got £55K for Tynan (he'd asked us for a raise of a tenner a week).

A year or three later we had a young player called Richard <somebody> who Wimbledon tried to buy on deadline day. But we had no one at the club to sanction the transfer. Sigh.

JonD wrote:Given I struggle to remember what day it is these figures could be miles off but they're all I have.

Waddle cost £80K.
Johnson cost £55K.

We got £55K for Tynan (he'd asked us for a raise of a tenner a week).

A year or three later we had a young player called Richard <somebody> who Wimbledon tried to buy on deadline day. But we had no one at the club to sanction the transfer. Sigh.
That's about spot on.

It was a Richard Jones? who was on the periphery of the side.
Was a last minute hope for the club and it came to nothing.
Thought it was Fulham but age catches up on you
What happened to him after?

Some more memories of Tommy Tynan during his time here;

Signed for the County for £25k in the same year we played West Ham in the Cup.
Says he came to the County for Len Ashurst, he sold the club to him.
His most memorable game was the away trip to Shrewsbury when we won the Welsh Cup. For him that was better than Walsall away in the promotion clinching game.
Has Irish heritage from his mothers side.
Was at Liverpool with Alan Waddle.
On his memories of SP - 'Last time I drove past the ground there were houses there. The saddest thing I have ever seen. I played a European Cup quarter final there. The place was wonderful'.

So were you Tommy, so we're you. It was a ECWC QF though.

George Street-Bridge wrote:
JonD wrote:Richard Jones. Yes. That's him.

Fulham, was it? Could well have been.
It was the original Wiimbledon. I think he wound up with Hereford.
Just had a search on wiki
Amazed he played about 40 games for us and have no memory of him at all apart from that last hope of a fee to keep us going.
Hereford was his main club

Special branch wrote:I constantly tell people that our 'Aldridge era' team had at least 8 very good players eepecially Tynan. He moved just behind Aldridge and Gwyther. Amond needs to do this with his excellent work rate on a consistent basis.
Sorry but so far Padraig is not in the same league as those 3.

Totally amazed after Tommy and then Aldo left we remained in Division 3 for a good few years.
you look at the players and very few stood out.
Even after Waddle and Johnson moved on free (£135K down the drain) we still held up for 2/3 more seasons.

Forgot Karl Elsey was a pretty good player

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:If you had an all time squad of County players.
At least 5 of the side from 79-80 would walk into it

Apart from Tommy & Aldo

Keith Oakes, Kevin Moore and Richard Walden would be bankers imo.

Cheers
I've been supporting the county since 1960 and I have to say Richard walden is the finest fullback I ever seen play for us! god rest him.