Re: Flynn: "Don't go to Gillingham!"

George Street-Bridge wrote:Cambridge's sleeves are black, that might be the determining factor when arms go up in the penalty area and there's a possible handball.

If the weather was bad I could understand but it was a sunny day,,,Surely the ref could tell if he / his assistants are in the right positions.......Theirs is plain black, ours black and grey
Maybe its just me :dontknow:
Ive seen teams wearing Claret v Reds in wet weather in the past..Now that could be hard to see but amber with black sleeves against black and grey ????

rncfc wrote:Has anyone stopped to consider he might be trying to play mind games with Gillingham?
In fairness I hadn't and a fair point which is impossible to discount.

My own view is that had he said I'm not really taking it that seriously indeed I might go off and watch someone else then I'd be inclined to agree. Telling supporters not to waste their money? Not so much. But certainly your suggestion is far from impossible.

George Street-Bridge wrote:A home game against the "bin dippers" - who let's not forget lent us their ground to train on before the Wembley final - would probably cost more for security than we'd take at the gate. (Okay, exaggeration for effect.) But it would be a nightmare draw in any competition.
Yes the bin dippers who got some good PR out of it they ain't daft

I was thinking an away game at Legoland

It's all well and good saying, if we win we might draw whoever in the next round. We could easily draw Carlisle or Fleetwood away, travel all that way midweek and go out to them. We've been incredibly lucky with our cup draws the last two seasons.

The prize money in the League Cup is piss poor as well, we got more for winning the first 3 rounds of the FA Cup than the winners of the League Cup get.

Although the 'save money for the Plymouth game and don't travel' I don't agree with, as I'd imagine those travelling to Gillingham from Newport tonight, will more than likely be going to the Plymouth game regardless.

Playing in three domestic cups and a 24 team league is silly, where else in the world does that happen? A 1 in 500 chance of playing at Old Trafford in the third round doesn't really seem worth the effort, a trip to Cardiff would be fun but offer little financial reward, their fans don't even turn up for FA Cup games.

DT1892 wrote:It's all well and good saying, if we win we might draw whoever in the next round. We could easily draw Carlisle or Fleetwood away
No we couldn't.
DT1892 wrote: Although the 'save money for the Plymouth game and don't travel' I don't agree with, as I'd imagine those travelling to Gillingham from Newport tonight, will more than likely be going to the Plymouth game regardless.
I can't speak for others - but for me it was either/or because of the cost, so I'm quite pleased to have been given Flynn's advice!

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
DT1892 wrote:It's all well and good saying, if we win we might draw whoever in the next round. We could easily draw Carlisle or Fleetwood away
No we couldn't.
DT1892 wrote: Although the 'save money for the Plymouth game and don't travel' I don't agree with, as I'd imagine those travelling to Gillingham from Newport tonight, will more than likely be going to the Plymouth game regardless.
I can't speak for others - but for me it was either/or because of the cost, so I'm quite pleased to have been given Flynn's advice!
Fair enough. So we could draw Peterborough or Stevenage away. Equally as exciting.

Hopefully we win, as others have said, it's money for the club. But it won't be a disaster if we don't.

Can understand that travelling numbers will be low but as an 'exile' its great to see a midweek game. Albeit requiring a bit of an early work departure and fingers crossed for rail travel in order to arrive on time....

Strong memories of my last visit to the same fixture (also midweek) where a late goal from Linden Jones saved us from likely relegation from division 3. All those years ago :grin:

rgds Dave