Re: Who do we want to draw ?

neilcork68 wrote:Trevor Brooking , Alan Devonshire , Frank Lampard (Snr), Alvin Martin, Billy Bonds , Bryan 'pop' Robson all started for West Ham that night..( 9/01/1979 )....14124 were in attendance
Shows you how long ago it was that Lampards son has been born, gone through school, had a full football career himself, retired and worked his way up to manage Chelsea since then.

It's about time we made some new history, and thank the lord King Flynn is delivering big style for us.

rncfc wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:Trevor Brooking , Alan Devonshire , Frank Lampard (Snr), Alvin Martin, Billy Bonds , Bryan 'pop' Robson all started for West Ham that night..( 9/01/1979 )....14124 were in attendance
Shows you how long ago it was that Lampards son has been born, gone through school, had a full football career himself, retired and worked his way up to manage Chelsea since then.

It's about time we made some new history, and thank the lord King Flynn is delivering big style for us.

Fecking hell makes me feel really old now you read that has happened since that game....

neilcork68 wrote:
Coxy wrote:Don't think we've ever met them in the cup before.

We beat them in the FA CUP 40 years ago over Somerton Park 2 - 1
I had a ticket for that game but it was postponed on the original date due to a waterlogged and then couldn't attend the re-arranged midweek game. Never mind they were only a 2nd division side back then. Looking forward to seeing them this time.

Corpaboy wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:One West Ham fan on their forum moaning that they will only get just over a thousand tickets for the game and it will only be the top point scoring travelling fans who will get tickets so many will miss out...Will they bring that many ???????
YES ! They will .
It's their only real chance of a trophy this season (or any other for that matter !) and will want to win .
Don't underestimate the number of "plastic" Hammers either
The thing that sets local West Ham and Spurs apart from other Premier league clubs is that most do actual go to games regularly. Add to that the ongoing banning orders and protests after West Ham moved to that athletics stadium and there's a lot of fans that won't go to home games until the owners sell up and f*** off. The demand for West Ham away tickets has never been stronger.

Corpaboy wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:One West Ham fan on their forum moaning that they will only get just over a thousand tickets for the game and it will only be the top point scoring travelling fans who will get tickets so many will miss out...Will they bring that many ???????
YES ! They will .
It's their only real chance of a trophy this season (or any other for that matter !) and will want to win .
They've got no more chance of winning this than the FA Cup - less in fact as they have to play a round more than 7 other teams in their division.

Most Premier League fans couldn't care less about the League Cup, they know they're more likely than not getting a weakened side. I'm trying to remember the last League Cup game I went to, and just worked out that it was Southend v County - I've had the chance to go to 8 of Southampton or County's EFL Cup games since then (4 each) and I haven't been to any. I've been to 9 FA Cup games in the same time frame.

Having said that, it's a new ground for them which has its appeal when you're playing the same teams year after year.

I was on the covered terrace toward the railway end that night. 'Pop' Robson's equaliser was so good that all I could do was turn to the bloke next to me and say wow. There followed a ripple of applause.

It was a freezing night, the pitch was tock hard and the game was brilliant. Not just for the result. Our winner came at the railway end. West Ham's goalkeeper was very good but a bit suspect on crosses. As the ball came across I knew he wasn't going to get it. His name was Day. Mervyn not Joe.

The other really odd thing is that I can still see in my minds eye Nigel Vaughan heading in our first half goal at the Cromwell End. Odd because even though I know Goddard scored it, the false memory planted in my brain still persists.

whoareya wrote:
Corpaboy wrote:
YES ! They will .
The thing that sets local West Ham and Spurs apart from other Premier league clubs is that most do actual go to games regularly. Add to that the ongoing banning orders and protests after West Ham moved to that athletics stadium and there's a lot of fans that won't go to home games until the owners sell up and f*** off. The demand for West Ham away tickets has never been stronger.
I don't think around 50 banning orders affects attendance in any significant way more or less.

This is away attendance for Premier League clubs last season: https://www.worldfootball.net/attendanc ... 18-2019/2/

Spurs and West Ham are in the bottom 6. There is an obvious reason for that though - clubs with big grounds often offer bigger away allocations, so by having a big ground they miss out on one big away attendance (at their own ground). Given that most away sections sell out, this is also reflected in Bournemouth (everyone else has a bigger away section) being 5th, mainly because they have the higher possible maximum away attendance. And Man U, who always sell out everywhere, are only 13th.

Stats eh?

SJG99 wrote:
I don't think around 50 banning orders affects attendance in any significant way more or less.

This is away attendance for Premier League clubs last season: https://www.worldfootball.net/attendanc ... 18-2019/2/

Spurs and West Ham are in the bottom 6. There is an obvious reason for that though - clubs with big grounds often offer bigger away allocations, so by having a big ground they miss out on one big away attendance (at their own ground). Given that most away sections sell out, this is also reflected in Bournemouth (everyone else has a bigger away section) being 5th, mainly because they have the higher possible maximum away attendance. And Man U, who always sell out everywhere, are only 13th.

Stats eh?
You've omitted that away attendance tables are also dependant on each club taking maximum available allocations for every game, some do, some don't. But that is not reflective of the demand, especially if a club deliberately takes the minimum allocation for away games to ensure fans attend more home games instead. You'll have to take my word for curent demand but I can assure you that a large amount of West Ham fans will not do home games until Gold, Sullivan and Lady Brady leave.

whoareya wrote:
SJG99 wrote:

Stats eh?
You've omitted that away attendance tables are also dependant on each club taking maximum available allocations for every game, some do, some don't. But that is not reflective of the demand, especially if a club deliberately takes the minimum allocation for away games to ensure fans attend more home games instead. You'll have to take my word for current demand but I can assure you that a large amount of West Ham fans will not do home games until Gold, Sullivan and Lady Brady leave.
That's an interesting take - though in which case West Ham fans should be used to competing for away tickets. After that it's the nuances of the points or loyalty or pay-to-boost-yourself or membership or whatever they use, and I can hardly be bothered to keep track of my own eligibility for Saints aways, never mind (more than one) other clubs.

I don't doubt they'll sell out the away end as it's only 1000ish, and they won't be able to buy in the home end without physically standing in a queue in Newport, so it doesn't really matter anyway. Whether it's a sell out will be down to County fans not West Ham ones.

Blackandamber wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:
Coxy wrote:Don't think we've ever met them in the cup before.

We beat them in the FA CUP 40 years ago over Somerton Park 2 - 1
I had a ticket for that game but it was postponed on the original date due to a waterlogged and then couldn't attend the re-arranged midweek game. Never mind they were only a 2nd division side back then. Looking forward to seeing them this time.
I was taken by my Dad I thought the original game was called off for snow

Remember meeting Trevor Brooking after the game he was a real gent even after the the result

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
I was on the covered terrace toward the railway end that night. 'Pop' Robson's equaliser was so good that all I could do was turn to the bloke next to me and say wow. There followed a ripple of applause.

It was a freezing night, the pitch was tock hard and the game was brilliant. Not just for the result. Our winner came at the railway end. West Ham's goalkeeper was very good but a bit suspect on crosses. As the ball came across I knew he wasn't going to get it. His name was Day. Mervyn not Joe.

The other really odd thing is that I can still see in my minds eye Nigel Vaughan heading in our first half goal at the Cromwell End. Odd because even though I know Goddard scored it, the false memory planted in my brain still persists.
Pop Robson's goal was a brilliant 30 yarder.