Re: Homophobic abuse

newgroundrodney wrote:There is also the aspect of there "not being one openly gay footballer".....
Now, at the risk of sounding homophobic myself, I wonder to what extent if any, a player's willingness to "come out" is dictated by the fact that he will have shared changing rooms, in various states of undress, with the gender to which he is sexually attracted. Obviously, it is only natural that there be some reticence on his part to make this very private aspect of his life known.
The changing room issue is a major one, I believe.
If we get a female assistant referee, does she share a changing room with her male counterparts?...does she walk around in the altogether in front of those male colleagues? Now if she does, then fair enough, but I would suggest that the reason there aren't more openly gay players, is fear of the reaction to the fact that they've shared a changing room, however irrational that fear may be.
Would any of us be comfortable walking around naked, in a dressing full of the gender to which we are attracted?

This to me, is the real root of the problem, one of what is appropriate or inappropriate. This I believe is what stops them coming out.
That issue is something that I have thought about but never heard or seen it discussed until now. You could well be right in what you say.

I have often wondered why players don’t come out as gay, no problem at all with that. I don’t think it is fear of public ridicule but a possible fear of the ‘changing room mentality’ including their own feelings as well as that of their teammates.

You will all know when homophobic abuse is not an issue. If that day ever comes gay people will no more need to 'come out' than do heterosexual people.

And what anyone's particular sexual preference is, is seen as no more important than the colour of their eyes. That which consenting adults choose to do in private is none of anyone else's business.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:You will all know when homophobic abuse is not an issue. If that day ever comes gay people will no more need to 'come out' than do heterosexual people.

And what anyone's particular sexual preference is, is seen as no more important than the colour of their eyes. That which consenting adults choose to do in private is none of anyone else's business.
That's a bit of a stereotypical view and not quite correct Brendan. There are a few instances of a sexual nature between consenting adults that are illegal. No need to give you a list, you will know what they are.

pembsexile wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:There is also the aspect of there "not being one openly gay footballer".....
Now, at the risk of sounding homophobic myself, I wonder to what extent if any, a player's willingness to "come out" is dictated by the fact that he will have shared changing rooms, in various states of undress, with the gender to which he is sexually attracted. Obviously, it is only natural that there be some reticence on his part to make this very private aspect of his life known.
The changing room issue is a major one, I believe.
If we get a female assistant referee, does she share a changing room with her male counterparts?...does she walk around in the altogether in front of those male colleagues? Now if she does, then fair enough, but I would suggest that the reason there aren't more openly gay players, is fear of the reaction to the fact that they've shared a changing room, however irrational that fear may be.
Would any of us be comfortable walking around naked, in a dressing full of the gender to which we are attracted?

This to me, is the real root of the problem, one of what is appropriate or inappropriate. This I believe is what stops them coming out.
That issue is something that I have thought about but never heard or seen it discussed until now. You could well be right in what you say.

I have often wondered why players don’t come out as gay, no problem at all with that. I don’t think it is fear of public ridicule but a possible fear of the ‘changing room mentality’ including their own feelings as well as that of their teammates.
The story of Gareth Thomas is perhaps relevant here. I would imagine many people had heard rumours of his homosexuality long before he "came out". His reticence in declaring himself as gay was largely due to how this "news" would be received by his rugby playing colleagues. When he finally "came out" there was no shock, no covering up in the changing room, no expressions of revulsion. I would imagine they had also heard rumours themselves and it made no difference.

My feeling about the programme is that it's a bit of attention seeking by GT. I cannot recall hearing much homophobic abuse at either football or rugby games. Sure it probably does happen but I don't think it's worthy of a 60 minute programme on a main terrestrial channel. Homophobia like many prejudices are not as rife as they were 30 years ago. Frankly the general public mainly show little to no prejudice...

pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:You will all know when homophobic abuse is not an issue. If that day ever comes gay people will no more need to 'come out' than do heterosexual people.

That's a bit of a stereotypical view and not quite correct Brendan. There are a few instances of a sexual nature between consenting adults that are illegal. No need to give you a list, you will know what they are.
Yes there are. Mostly in what is termed BDSM. My view is that only a person who was seriously mentally ill would consent to permanent injury or death. As such there is no informed consent. Their Lordships in their 'wisdom' outlawed in the infamous Spanner case many practices well short of this. In my view this is an unjustified infringement on the liberty of the individual. And as such in my view of no concern to anyone other than those involved. The House of Lords, now the Supreme Court are as wrong on this as they were when for centuries they upheld that a man could not rape his wife.They only recently got around to changing this.

I feel the same about drugs, censorship and a whole host of other matters. If you are adult and sane, so long as you don't infringe the rights of another you should be able to do anything you please.

The wonderful Justin Fashanu springs to mind.
Appreciate its different times.
Still can see that Wonder goal on MOTD for Forest.
Have a read on Wiki.
Gobsmacked how Cloughie treated him but I can imagine so many poles apart eh.
so many clubs he jumped around and countries.
John was no help from what I read.
Just calling him "an attention seeker"
Tragic in all honesty

Life is hard enough as it is. Try living in fear of being yourself. It shouldn't be that way. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult that is. Belittling and condemning people as just attention seeking just because they are gay, when we have no clue what they have been though is not right in my opinion.

Triangle wrote:Life is hard enough as it is. Try living in fear of being yourself. It shouldn't be that way. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult that is. Belittling and condemning people as just attention seeking just because they are gay, when we have no clue what they have been though is not right in my opinion.
Well said Spencer.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
pembsexile wrote:

Yes there are. Mostly in what is termed BDSM. My view is that only a person who was seriously mentally ill would consent to permanent injury or death. As such there is no informed consent. Their Lordships in their 'wisdom' outlawed in the infamous Spanner case many practices well short of this. In my view this is an unjustified infringement on the liberty of the individual. And as such in my view of no concern to anyone other than those involved. The House of Lords, now the Supreme Court are as wrong on this as they were when for centuries they upheld that a man could not rape his wife.They only recently got around to changing this.

I feel the same about drugs, censorship and a whole host of other matters. If you are adult and sane, so long as you don't infringe the rights of another you should be able to do anything you please.
Agreed with your first paragraph, not the second. I was thinking more along the lines of not what two people do, but who you do it with. Again, no need for details, and no amount of law changes is going to alter that.

Triangle wrote:Life is hard enough as it is. Try living in fear of being yourself. It shouldn't be that way. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult that is. Belittling and condemning people as just attention seeking just because they are gay, when we have no clue what they have been though is not right in my opinion.
I shall watch the programme because I'm unsure how it became a football issue, other than the person who assaulted him and made homophobic comments towards him may have had a football shirt on.

I called him "attention seeking" because he appears to take offence easily and as he appears to be the only international rugby player to "come out" he is able to get television coverage when he wants to start a crusade such as this issue seems to be. When another rugby player declares himself gay then the circus will move on from him to the other person.

Can't really argue about anything in the documentary. I was thinking halfway through that he could achieve similar results just by approaching someone like Chris Bryant and identifying that the law covering unacceptable behaviour within football stadia needed updating for the world we live in today but I guess it would have got lost somewhere along it's path. I guess having a more "high profile" journey gets the job done.

One point. Justin Fashanu was named as the only gay footballer but there was a player for Leeds United that retired and then "came out". I think his name was something like Robbie Rogers. American?

Thomas Hitzlsperger (Ex Villa & Everton) came out after he retired. No one seemed to be worried, but it’s worth noting that he waited until he retired before ‘fessing up. I didn’t see the programme so can’t really comment, but referee Niigel Owens is openly gay & is arguably the best rugby referee in the world, and as far as I’m aware doesn’t get any homophobic abuse. Gareth Thomas gets abuse for being a tit, not for being gay.

Where does it say he was attention seeking because he was homosexual

There are attention seekers in all walks of life