Re: BAR AMBER...Happy 1st birthday!

Afternoon NGR
Just to clarify I agree 100% with your comments.
Its not for me but a great earner for the club.
Well placed to the ground, nothing you can do to expand it and food would be a no - no before a game as its rammed.
You want a pint and a bit of a squeeze great.
All the best

newgroundrodney wrote:Out of 29 replies, just 7 related directly to the post. I did hope this thread would have produced some useful feedback.
I wonder sometimes whether it's worth bothering.
Keep posting Gary.

Unfortunately until the moderators on this board demand that those who post reveal their identities so as we don't get a very small number of posters making up multiple personalities to destroy discussion this will continue. But don't give in to them.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:Great move by the trust onwards and upwards
Absolutely.

Drink sales are a vital stream of revenue for clubs of our size. Now I haven't been in the Ivy Bush for over forty years but in light of Frank's comment, I wondered whether you thought it being bigger might help improve revenue? And if yes is there room at the Ivy Bush to extend it there?
It's a good start Bren it holds around about 120 max I would say I go in Windsor castle regularly that has a safety certificate of 99 area wise its slightly bigger the ivy

At the moment most match days I think it copes but if we want to push on with bigger gates then we may have to look at a bigger venue but that area around RP there's not much going perhaps when the lease of the Riverside tavern comes up that could be an option

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:Great move by the trust onwards and upwards
Absolutely.

Drink sales are a vital stream of revenue for clubs of our size. Now I haven't been in the Ivy Bush for over forty years but in light of Frank's comment, I wondered whether you thought it being bigger might help improve revenue? And if yes is there room at the Ivy Bush to extend it there?
It's a good start Bren it holds around about 120 max I would say I go in Windsor castle regularly that has a safety certificate of 99 area wise its slightly bigger the ivy

At the moment most match days I think it copes but if we want to push on with bigger gates then we may have to look at a bigger venue but that area around RP there's not much going perhaps when the lease of the Riverside tavern comes up that could be an option
Thank's for that. I have no doubt he will correct me if I'm wrong but I think that is what Frank was alluding to. Great to be back on topic.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:The way pubs are shutting these days maybe the Riverside or Dodger one day maybe come available.
Only 2 possibilities near enough to the ground.
Or one of the clubs on Chepstow Road?
If pubs are shutting regularly these days , why would it make sense for the club to purchase one?

A far better idea would be to encourage the dozens of cafes, clubs and pubs that benefit from our matches to make small regular donations to the trust. In recognition and support of the club.

Alan G Bryant wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:The way pubs are shutting these days maybe the Riverside or Dodger one day maybe come available.
If pubs are shutting regularly these days , why would it make sense for the club to purchase one?

A far better idea would be to encourage the dozens of cafes, clubs and pubs that benefit from our matches to make small regular donations to the trust. In recognition and support of the club.
I have to say, I disagree with this idea. With our infrastructure scattered all over the city, one thing we need, is what we've always needed, is a bar of our own, producing a stream that is our own, and as a visible focal point. We have needed a 'clubhouse' for years. Now we have one, we need to keep it, with the only possible change being relocation to a larger site, incorporating meals on a matchday, child / family friendly areas, beer garden etc.
Merely asking local businesses to chip in would be a backward step if you mean INSTEAD of our own bar.
I wonder how many pubs in Cardiff pay part of their matchday profits to the WRU....none I would suspect.

Alan G Bryant wrote:

I have to say, I disagree with this idea. With our infrastructure scattered all over the city, one thing we need, is what we've always needed, is a bar of our own, producing a stream that is our own, and as a visible focal point. We have needed a 'clubhouse' for years. Now we have one, we need to keep it, with the only possible change being relocation to a larger site, incorporating meals on a matchday, child / family friendly areas, beer garden etc.
Merely asking local businesses to chip in would be a backward step if you mean INSTEAD of our own bar.
I wonder how many pubs in Cardiff pay part of their matchday profits to the WRU....none I would suspect.

Alan G Bryant wrote:

Because Bar Amber is rammed on matchdays.
In fact far too rammed for me personally.

Like NGR states bigger premesis (a club House) we can dream.

Would hope it would generate every day opening with all profits to the club.
Nice for the wife and kids.

Appreciate a pipe dream at present but if the opportunity arose

I have no problem with you disagreeing with me , I meant as well as a clubhouse. The holy grail would be a rebuilt clubhouse on the site of the old one that has been condemned. In the meantime I do not think it is unreasonable for cafes and bars in the community who are benefitting from the increased crowds and continued success of Newport county to make a donation in return for a mention in the programme for example.

The tradesmen and companies that donated their time and knowledge in rebuilding Bar Amber were mentioned in Saturdays programme. A nice touch by the club I thought

Alan G Bryant wrote:I have no problem with you disagreeing with me , I meant as well as a clubhouse. The holy grail would be a rebuilt clubhouse on the site of the old one that has been condemned. In the meantime I do not think it is unreasonable for cafes and bars in the community who are benefitting from the increased crowds and continued success of Newport county to make a donation in return for a mention in the programme for example.

The tradesmen and companies that donated their time and knowledge in rebuilding Bar Amber were mentioned in Saturdays programme. A nice touch by the club I thought
...ahh, now that's another matter. That would be a form of advertising, which is fine of course.

Good that it's an income stream for the club, but apart from the shirts on the walls (and the new street art outside) it's not my cup of tea at all, which is why I've never been in there.

Having said that The Dodger isn't much different and I go in there occasionally. I'm more of a High Street pub-goer when I'm around though. Come to think of it I didn't go in the Ivy Bush in 30 years of living in Newport either, despite walking past it on the way home from town for about 10 of those years.