Re: Walsall 1980

Pontypaul wrote:We all thought we’d blown it after losing an “easy game” at Rochdale in the mid-week before.
I was 9 years old !!

Went to both games and remember my old man (God bless him x) sitting me down on the pitch behind the goal at Walsall , only for a "Bobby" to pick me up and place me back on the right side of the hoardings !!!

Great memories ....

Corpaboy wrote:
Pontypaul wrote:We all thought we’d blown it after losing an “easy game” at Rochdale in the mid-week before.
I was 9 years old !!

Went to both games and remember my old man (God bless him x) sitting me down on the pitch behind the goal at Walsall , only for a "Bobby" to pick me up and place me back on the right side of the hoardings !!!

Great memories ....
There were pockets of fans all around fellows park that day. My memory is the dozens and dozens of Sunderland coaches going the other way after playing Cardiff

We didn't lose at Rochdale. We were robbed by George Courtney.Genuinely I have never bought into bias from referees but that Tuesday night performance had to be seen to be believed.

Good Morning!

It certainly doesn’t seem so distant in the memory as it is in years!

Typically I got to witness the misery of the Rochdale game, but couldn’t get to the Walsall one ( albeit a lot nearer) because I was working Saturday mornings.
A story I’ve recounted many times, but on that day Northampton Town were playing Portsmouth, our promotion rivals. I got to the County Ground to cheer on the Cobblers , doing my bit, as I saw it, as a win for Cobblers I believe would have got County promotion.
Of course it didn’t happen, but my despair turned to joy later as I found out we had won at Walsall.

Phil in Northampton

Pretty sure I remember my old man saying that they broke down on the way home from Rochdale as well, found their way to a pub, and got home at something like 6am.

In the days before mobile phones or major roads, I bet that would've been a decent day and night out had it not been for the result!

rncfc wrote:Pretty sure I remember my old man saying that they broke down on the way home from Rochdale as well, found their way to a pub, and got home at something like 6am.

In the days before mobile phones or major roads, I bet that would've been a decent day and night out had it not been for the result!
We did have motorways back then mind :mrgreen:

UPTHEPORT wrote:
rncfc wrote:Pretty sure I remember my old man saying that they broke down on the way home from Rochdale as well, found their way to a pub, and got home at something like 6am.

We did have motorways back then mind :mrgreen:
I would imagine they were a very different experience on a horse-drawn supporters bus though?