Re: Grandstand - Macclesfield away

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:The biggest problem I can see and I have no idea now transfer deadline has gone is Midfield.
Sheehan Superb
Labs Good on his day
Matty Not up to it
Scott Ditto
Maloney Even worse.
How can we get promotion with at best 2 decent midfielders in our squad.

Robbie is a winger or wing back nothing else.
Whiteley likewise.
Nothing new there Frank, I think anyone who follows the Country would see that midfield as been an issue for us for some time. However, in the real world, good proven midfielders don't come cheap (they are not two a penny) and so we can't ' afford' to be strong in all areas. We had Bryne playing for us a few seasons ago and he ran the show for us as we all now- but we couldn't and often can't hold on to a player of that quality (playing just one league up now) and it's tough for us to capture one like him coming back down a league - we can try out with less experienced or younger players but....

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:The biggest problem I can see and I have no idea now transfer deadline has gone is Midfield.
Sheehan Superb
Labs Good on his day
Matty Not up to it
Scott Ditto
Maloney Even worse.

Whiteley likewise.
Let’s not forget that last season and the 2nd half of the 17/18 season, Bennett was on excellent form. But, when he had his bad days, he was really poor. He can be inconsistent just like any other player...he’s also just got back to match fitness from a shoulder injury which kept him out of the start of the season. IMHO, when fully fit he is a superb holding midfielder for a team in this division. He needs time to adapt and to get even sharper.

As for Matty, I feel that he doesn’t get involved enough. I don’t feel we have got what Yeovil got out of him. He has scored some crucial goals for us and has had some brilliant performances, but they come few and far between IMO. So, I agree with you on that one, Frank.

I saw Maloney vs West Ham u21’s and he did look poor...but he is very young and will hit top form and dip at some point (look at Bakinson for example). I think it’s too soon to start saying our midfield is “weak”. It can’t be THAT bad.

rodneyboy wrote:Our midfield was shocking apart from Sheehan.Knocked off the ball all the time and continually failing to find men with their passes.Macclesfield moved the ball with pace and looked far more dangerous than us.No movement at throw ins means we have little options from them.Unfortunately we have very few options in midfield but would like to see Whitely given a run instead of Robbie.
Whitely instead of Robbie! You’ve more chance of getting the pox off the Pope! Especially away. Flynny will never drop his favourite.

UppaPort wrote:
Sheehan Superb
Labs Good on his day
Matty Not up to it
Scott Ditto
Maloney Even worse.

Whiteley likewise.
Let’s not forget that last season and the 2nd half of the 17/18 season, Bennett was on excellent form. But, when he had his bad days, he was really poor. He can be inconsistent just like any other player...he’s also just got back to match fitness from a shoulder injury which kept him out of the start of the season. IMHO, when fully fit he is a superb holding midfielder for a team in this division. He needs time to adapt and to get even sharper.

As for Matty, I feel that he doesn’t get involved enough. I don’t feel we have got what Yeovil got out of him. He has scored some crucial goals for us and has had some brilliant performances, but they come few and far between IMO. So, I agree with you on that one, Frank.

I saw Maloney vs West Ham u21’s and he did look poor...but he is very young and will hit top form and dip at some point (look at Bakinson for example). I think it’s too soon to start saying our midfield is “weak”. It can’t be THAT bad.
Sorry but disagree Scott has had his day now.
Apart from Sheehan and sometimes Lab we are THAT bad as you put it.
As already said above Joss & Josh must be very close to a yellow card ban also.
Joss gets booked every game it seems.

Amberexile wrote:The biggest deficiency I saw tonight was the missing of Demetriou or even Inniss, putting tactics to one side of course.
Who would have thought we’d have been short of cb’s a few short weeks ago? What was entirely predictable was the deficiencies in MF and that just hasn’t been addressed. Sounds like we lapsed into our bad old ways of sitting back and letting them come at us last night or perhaps with our poor MF we didn’t have a choice!